Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a small (30hp to 60hp) Nos shot to be run off my soon to be AEM ecu. My car's torque converter slips till about 4200rpm; at that point the engine gets full boost by 44000rpm.
those with auto+NOS, when do you activate the nos?? what rpm?
Is it safe for the torque convertor to activate the Nos at an rpm below the max stall speed? like at 3600 to 3800 rpm? Also, wouldn't a Hobbs switch be redundant for an auto....i can get 18psi at the line and full boost 200rpm later. In other words, on my auto, the turbo is already spooled up--- at the line. Do most guys just launch, hit the switch, and leave it on till close to redline?

thanks

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How low you can activiate and how much total NOS you can use depends mostly on how well you can tune it with the AEM. I'm pretty sure the AEM has the features to do what you need. If you can tune the amount of NOS spraying to RPM (10% at 2500RPM to 100% by 5000RPM for instance), you can start it lower and use more than if you just had a ON/OFF switch.

I'd suggest a 75 shot tuned somewhat like above, activate at 2000RPM, WOT, and arm switch. Instant spool up.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe my ques wasn't clear. I just wanted to know what other people with singles and high stall convertors do at the track with NOS?? what would be the point of turning NOS on at 2000rpm when I can brake torque to 4000rpm.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I set my window switch so the spray comes on between 3000 and 6500 rpm. I powerbrake and build as much boost as I can (usually can only hold back ~10psi), and then when I go WOT the spray comes on..... instant full boost.... it really launches you like a mofo. :D

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Mike, although you can brake torque the car and leave the line with 20 psi of boost, this creates a lot of heat in the tranny. With NOS, you can brake torque the motor less, and leave the line with only 5 psi at say 3000 rpm and still leave the line harder. This is much easier on the tranny as it builds less heat. If you have a large turbo, just have the NOS turn off at say 20 psi and make the rest of the run without it. This is the safest way to do it!!

Lar
SP

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a NOS adjustable Hobbs switch.....its closed
until I hit 15 psi of boost, then it switch inside opens up..
and shuts off the nitrous.....usually then I take off and
let the motor take over . That works well if you just want it
for launches. My cars single and auto with a 3200 stall.
Its an adjustable kit with a 50 shot in it.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am thinking of putting a nos kit on my auto what is the saffest kit to use, i am also getting the aem ecu
thanx jason

·
Registered
200 Posts
Questions to you out there using small shot of NOS,

1. How noticable is a 50shot on a BPU car ?
2. How many shots on a bottle, how long does it last?

do you recommend it on a BPU Auto ?

:) :D :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kit used

Soarer-007 said:
I have a NOS adjustable Hobbs switch.....its closed
until I hit 15 psi of boost, then it switch inside opens up..
and shuts off the nitrous.....usually then I take off and
let the motor take over . That works well if you just want it
for launches. My cars single and auto with a 3200 stall.
Its an adjustable kit with a 50 shot in it.
Im using a wet NX kit with an NOS pressure switch....
its noticable on most accounts....off the line or
top end....
Make sure when you get your aem ecu...you know how
to program it, its not as easy as it sounds .....dg

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2bad4U said:
Questions to you out there using small shot of NOS,

1. How noticable is a 50shot on a BPU car ?
2. How many shots on a bottle, how long does it last?

do you recommend it on a BPU Auto ?

:) :D :)
1- VERY noticable.
75 shot...even MORE noticable

2- im not very sure about this one. Depends if you spray through the gears. or just a short run.

last question, yes make sure and do it right and get a bottle warmer. Don't be half-assed and just get the kit without the other necessities.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
true

1_MAD_DAWG said:

1- VERY noticable.
75 shot...even MORE noticable

2- im not very sure about this one. Depends if you spray through the gears. or just a short run.

last question, yes make sure and do it right and get a bottle warmer. Don't be half-assed and just get the kit without the other necessities.
True...a bottle heater is nice to keep the pressure between 950-1100 psi, No platinum plugs.....but the Iridiums are okay...
91 or better octane only fuel. I try to only use 100 octane in
my car anymore since I only drive it 1-2 times a week its not
so bad, and makes using nitrous even more lethal.
With a 50 shot I get about 25 good passes...but there are too many variables concerning how long a tank will last. Its only $35
to fill a 10lb tank....so who cares!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think i am getting spark plug blow out with my iridium's, have you used them with no prob.? on nitrous(not NOOSSS).FNF JOKE HEHE.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts