Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a owning a few Supras I have the itch to build a tribute of Walkers orange Supra. Bomex is out of business. Is there anyone making a copy of that body kit? I seen a kit made by VIS Ballistix that seems to be dead on? Any help by someone that has made that tribute? I promise not to kill a stock car.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Missed it by that much Chief.

Check Craig Leiberman on youtube, they're doing exactly that.

(Get Smart reference)

·
Super Moderator
2,358 Posts
Not going to lie but I hate that orange Supra. It's the ugliest one ever. If you want to do a tribute one do the white one he drove off to "heaven" in. At least that looks like a Supra.

I don't get the Paul Walker love at all he doesn't deserve it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not going to lie but I hate that orange Supra. It's the ugliest one ever. If you want to do a tribute one do the white one he drove off to "heaven" in. At least that looks like a Supra.

I was on that wagon too years ago. Funny thing happened, my 15 year old son loved the movies. So, it gave us one of those rare opportunities to bond. Some happy times for us. So there you go. I'm 66 now and appreciate that now. I recommend to find anything you can bond with your kids because life is hard enough as it is. I was also doing the midnight showing of Harry Potter, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. I have an amazing relationship with my kids that most of their friends don't have with their parents.

So, an ugly orange car and a ugly green car with a lawn mower engine I'll justify. I have a 68 Bullitt Mustang I restored that gives me old school rush.

So please understand and don't trash me. If you can't help move along, If you can, it will put a smile on a Dad and his son.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2,358 Posts
Oh I understand the doing things with the kids as the is extremely important. I was just offering a different choice. It's also easier to get parts for this one and the kid wouldn't love you any less. Good luck with your project.

Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
139 Posts
This Orange F&F replica/tribute car was FS about a year ago, I don't think they ever sold it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
An alternate might be a MKV rendition. Easier to source parts and base vehicle. Reveal at 7:12.

·
Super Moderator
11,715 Posts
After a owning a few Supras I have the itch to build a tribute of Walkers orange Supra. Bomex is out of business. Is there anyone making a copy of that body kit? I seen a kit made by VIS Ballistix that seems to be dead on? Any help by someone that has made that tribute? I promise not to kill a stock car.
The Bomex front bumper, F&F specific APR wing, and Racing Hart M5 wheels remain the hardest parts to find for a screen-correct tribute car. VIS replica body panels can be made to work, but expect the body shop to need quite a bit of extra time to get it installed, lined up, and looking good.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
VIS replica body panels can be made to work, but expect the body shop to need quite a bit of extra time to get it installed, lined up, and looking good.
If they can source them. My body shop ordered some things from them over a year ago, and still have not received everything. Add in the cost to work everything over to fit, and yeah, it gets real expensive real fast.

·
From the land down under
4,823 Posts
I was on that wagon too years ago. Funny thing happened, my 15 year old son loved the movies. So, it gave us one of those rare opportunities to bond. Some happy times for us. So there you go. I'm 66 now and appreciate that now. I recommend to find anything you can bond with your kids because life is hard enough as it is. I was also doing the midnight showing of Harry Potter, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. I have an amazing relationship with my kids that most of their friends don't have with their parents.

So, an ugly orange car and a ugly green car with a lawn mower engine I'll justify. I have a 68 Bullitt Mustang I restored that gives me old school rush.

So please understand and don't trash me. If you can't help move along, If you can, it will put a smile on a Dad and his son.

Thank you
Kudos to you, Sir :)

·
Premium Member
112 Posts

Why doesn’t Paul deserve love??

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I doubt it's Paul, but the producer's taste in mods. Not worded correctly, Paul loved cars, and I doubt he'd have modded a car to have that paint job and sticker kit. He did his own cars well, and knew what he wanted. The movie cars were not what he was after, but hollywood's interpretation of the 'scene' at the time.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a set of the bomex skirts and TRD style hood if interested. They are both currently fitted to my car, I can send pictures upon request. Please PM me and ill be happy to unload them to you. For the hood however ill need an OEM style replacement.

·
Super Moderator
11,715 Posts
I doubt it's Paul, but the producer's taste in mods. Not worded correctly, Paul loved cars, and I doubt he'd have modded a car to have that paint job and sticker kit. He did his own cars well, and knew what he wanted. The movie cars were not what he was after, but hollywood's interpretation of the 'scene' at the time.
I can't speak for Paul's tastes, obviously, but IMHO, Hollywood got those modifications just about right for the time. It was still polarizing, but the people in the 'import scene' as it was just loved wild body kits and underglow, big wings, lots of brightly colored changes in the engine bay - Hose Techniques made a lot of money selling wildly colored silicone hose kits in those days.

From 1999 until about 2006 I was out cruising and street racing in my 87 Turbo at least once a week, sometimes three or four nights a week, and I remember lusting for an AbFlug body kit for my Supra. I would keep its original silver color, but I wanted red Sparco seats and HKS purple underglow with HKS purple accents in the engine bay. Everyone had a color scheme plan for their build, and things like bright red and bright blue were common for interior and engine bay changes.
I remember a '97 RSP 6-spd in my area in 2002 or so with an RPS T64 single turbo kit. The car had ~15k miles on it at the time. The guy had pulled all his dash panels and had them sprayed RSP to match. He got a lot of kudos for that change, it did look good by the standards of the day. But now thinking about taking those pristine 97-98 dash panels and painting them makes me ache.

The Fast and The Furious is very much a Hollywood production and thereby given to exaggeration, but in 2001 I remember theaters full of Japanese car guys oohing and ahhing and cheering throughout those movies. I was one of them.
Amazing to think that was over 20 years ago. But 20 years is a LONG time, and trends and tastes in cars have obviously changed a lot since those movies were made. What was once awesome and fresh and trendy became distasteful old news. But over the past 5 years or so, the same stuff I used to complain about now just gives me warm nostalgia.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I can't speak for Paul's tastes, obviously, but IMHO, Hollywood got those modifications just about right for the time. It was still polarizing, but the people in the 'import scene' as it was just loved wild body kits and underglow, big wings, lots of brightly colored changes in the engine bay - Hose Techniques made a lot of money selling wildly colored silicone hose kits in those days.

From 1999 until about 2006 I was out cruising and street racing in my 87 Turbo at least once a week, sometimes three or four nights a week, and I remember lusting for an AbFlug body kit for my Supra. I would keep its original silver color, but I wanted red Sparco seats and HKS purple underglow with HKS purple accents in the engine bay. Everyone had a color scheme plan for their build, and things like bright red and bright blue were common for interior and engine bay changes.
I remember a '97 RSP 6-spd in my area in 2002 or so with an RPS T64 single turbo kit. The car had ~15k miles on it at the time. The guy had pulled all his dash panels and had them sprayed RSP to match. He got a lot of kudos for that change, it did look good by the standards of the day. But now thinking about taking those pristine 97-98 dash panels and painting them makes me ache.

The Fast and The Furious is very much a Hollywood production and thereby given to exaggeration, but in 2001 I remember theaters full of Japanese car guys oohing and ahhing and cheering throughout those movies. I was one of them.
Amazing to think that was over 20 years ago. But 20 years is a LONG time, and trends and tastes in cars have obviously changed a lot since those movies were made. What was once awesome and fresh and trendy became distasteful old news. But over the past 5 years or so, the same stuff I used to complain about now just gives me warm nostalgia.
this x1000

i wasnt a big fan of all the wild colors for paint and engine bay BUT i did appreciate the creativity and originality that went with it. these days coilovers and blast pipes are a build.
i will admit, i did have 12" blue neons in my foot wells, until my dad accidentally kicked on haha.
simpler time....

·
10'S BABY
3,841 Posts

Well said.
I have always enjoyed Paul Walker's movies. Have to take them for what they are, and just enjoy. F&F seemed to fit the bill at the time. Seemed to really fit into the scene.
I don't have much to add except for some nastalgia, but very well said. I used to get a kick out of watching guys leave the theater parking lot after the movie. You've never heard so many entry level Honda's with cans on the end..HAHA

I will be forever grateful for those times. Very grateful for the lifelong friends I made during those days. In fact, more than half of them still have their cars! I had an 89 turbo at the time, then later a 97T and a 95T. Rushing to friends houses to spend our available time changing out valve stem seals or taking a week of work for a single turbo conversion with my buddies.

Just great stuff.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just think in 20 years wide body kits and stance cars are gonna be what people talk about like we’re talking about body kits and wild paint colors today
For all we know in 20 years the scene will probably be about weird body kits and wild paint colors again. Things tend to go in cycles so its just a matter of time before what we consider tacky now come back around and are the "in thing".

·
Super Moderator
11,715 Posts
Just think in 20 years wide body kits and stance cars are gonna be what people talk about like we’re talking about body kits and wild paint colors today
Maybe, and maybe not. I've gone to those sorts of shows and the 'stance scene' is very toxic, cliquey, and standoffish compared to even the worst rivalries I remember in the 'import scene' back in the day. Seems that social media plays a huge role in that, so maybe it would have been the same without the IG 'flex' bullshit happening, maybe it wouldn't.
I just don't see the same fun and chemistry and good times with those folks, that I remember so keenly from the import scene heyday in the early-mid 2000's.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts