Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys! I need someone to suggest what i should do now. Me and my bud have been workin on his 88 turbo for 5 weekends straight now pulling his motor cause the rod bearings were bad.
I've been reading alot on the site and still he just wanted to just do the bearings. All he wanted is for it to run for atleast 3 months. His truck took a crap and he needs a car. He wants to keep the car and he was plannin on gettin a new block for 1500 6 months from now
All the rod bearings looked perfect but the no. 3 was chewed up. We went ahead and replaced all of them. We checked Everything!! pistons bottoms looked good, crank, rods etc. We thought everything looked perfect. We took our time and finally at 2:30am rolled around and we were ready finally ready to fire it up. Before the motor was even running we could hear the dreaded knock :sad:

I did notice it was in the top end. I'm not sure but what it sounds like is one of the valve heads are boucing around in the cylinder?
What else would get destroyed along with the rod bearing like that? I read a post last night saying maybe the injectors? being really loud?
He says he's not sure if the spark plugs were changed EVER changed in the 2 years he drove the car!! could that possibly the problem with all that fuel not burning in the cylinders right, I'm sure a plug or 2 is bad.

Well, I hope you guys can help me! We were hopeing he would be drivin this car now. Guess not. Thanks guys!

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
I'm assuming you didn't go ahead and start it. Or if you did, would start? What caused the knock in the 1st place? Low oil? Or did he detonate, smash the bearing, and blow up one of his valves? I've seen it before where detonation will will blast the heads of the valves and drop them into the cylinder, but that would be a very extreme case.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply boosted!
It did run on it's own perfect before we tore it down. It actually fired right up after being off the road for a year. The knock was there badly but other than that it ran good. I'm assuming he ran the oil too low. The bearing in no. 3 was sheared up and pretty much gone. All other bearings looked and tested fine.

We could not get it to run when we put it back in. It would crank and you can hear the knock was there. I think we forgot one of the coil pack wires!
We were so pissed to hear it, we just dropped everything and quit for the night.

We have been working for the past 6 weekends on this car, today the 7th! Sh*t i just want drive it!
When i first checked it out i pulled the spark plugs and felt around in the cylinders for a vavle head. Thats what i actually thought it was when i first heard it. Then i came here and and read all the rod knock posts. Now we're back almost at square one again. The bearings are good now but the noise is still there :sad:
PLEASE help guys!! I know Nothing about turbo motors!

·
kaizen Motorsports
1,405 Posts
It doesn't matter if it's tubo or NA. Any time there is rod knock you want to check the big ends of the the rod for roundness. If it's knocking most likely the rod end needs to be resized, no if or but, it must be done!

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,950 Posts
got_boosted said:
I'm assuming you didn't go ahead and start it. Or if you did, would start? What caused the knock in the 1st place? Low oil? Or did he detonate, smash the bearing, and blow up one of his valves? I've seen it before where detonation will will blast the heads of the valves and drop them into the cylinder, but that would be a very extreme case.

Wanna explain how he detonate on staert up there dude. :1poke:

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278963

You did something wrong putting it together, like mixing rod caps. Each cap goes back with the rod it came off of or you get instant knock. If all you had was one bad bering and after installing new ones you got a lot of knoch, then you installed the wrong size berings or the rods are mixed and also did you get that rod that went bad recut. If you didnt it was a waste of time!

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,950 Posts
bcg187 said:
Thanks for the reply boosted!
It did run on it's own perfect before we tore it down. It actually fired right up after being off the road for a year. The knock was there badly but other than that it ran good. I'm assuming he ran the oil too low. The bearing in no. 3 was sheared up and pretty much gone. All other bearings looked and tested fine.

We could not get it to run when we put it back in. It would crank and you can hear the knock was there. I think we forgot one of the coil pack wires!
We were so pissed to hear it, we just dropped everything and quit for the night.

We have been working for the past 6 weekends on this car, today the 7th! Sh*t i just want drive it!
When i first checked it out i pulled the spark plugs and felt around in the cylinders for a vavle head. Thats what i actually thought it was when i first heard it. Then i came here and and read all the rod knock posts. Now we're back almost at square one again. The bearings are good now but the noise is still there :sad:
PLEASE help guys!! I know Nothing about turbo motors!

IF its the head you can tell you must recheak everything.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know for sure all caps went in the same exact spot, also even the bolts! We measured the rods but the one that was bad got a good marks on the crank :(
He just wanted to drive it for acouple weeks maybe. No running car and works 40 miles from home. I guess he's been talkin to a guy in cali about a complete motor.
I'm just gettin ready to go over there so i'll let ya guys know what i find out. Thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts