Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I thought I had a spun bearing because it sounded like I had a double knock...but pulled it apart today and no metal shavings, no damage to the bearings, nothing. Trying to figure out everything. Im looking at pulling off the head and wasting the metal head gasket now if i do.

EDIT :Oh, downpipe isnt on...but that couldnt be the sound, could it?

· Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was there anything done to the head?
Yes, stage 3 port/polish, 264/264, oversized valves, springs, retainers...basically the whole head was redone.

When #6 coilpack was unplugged...the sound seemed to disappear. This is according to the mechanic that looked at it. Honestly I didnt hear it over the lack of downpipe being on the vehicle.

· Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I don't think those cams will make the car an interference motor.

How does the surfaces, pistons and valves look?
Thats what is next...was trying to avoid having to pull the head, but looks like Im going to have to then. There goes a $300 metal headgasket...damn.

· Kancho Battle Garage
1,851 Posts
If you think you are having issues with pistons hitting injectors, you have no business pulling an oil pan off an engine. Leave things like this to the professionals.

· Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If you think you are having issues with pistons hitting injectors, you have no business pulling an oil pan off an engine. Leave things like this to the professionals.
Anyways, was supposidly a professional that did this. My bad..anyways, yanking the head...gotta find out what the hell is going on with this knocking noise. Engine already out, might as well finish it up.

Please read my other post, where the 'professional' hooked a coolant hose to the charcoal canister. How there was coolant in the oil pan, and in the cylinder. Now im having to take it to someone else, pay twice as much just to do the job right. Im only the bystander. No business, just paying. Just thought Id get some advice, instead of flack. Thanks for being productive.

I meant spark plug.

· Kancho Battle Garage
1,851 Posts
Ok spark plug, fair enough..

Did you rotate the engine and jiggle the rod ends? Did you actually pull the caps off the Rods?

But as I read.. since the sound disappears when the coil is unplugged, sounds like piston slap to me..

lol who was this guy working on your car...? Did he wield a pitch fork and drive a tractor?

· Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Rex, I feel for you man but I gotta ask. If you dont have enough confidence in the guy working on your car to where you have to come here and ask for help you need to carry it elsewhere bro. Like I said man, I feel for you. Years back(when I was about 17-18 or so I guess) I too had to rely on people to work on my cars(for the larger things) and it was allways some huge hassle.
If you get the car up here to me Ill get you going and going stronger and better than ever, and just consider it to be a favor and no charge. Long drive though LOL
Goodluck with it man, perhaps there is a supra specific shop in tx? Not sure where SPE is located, but they royally screwed over a buddy of mine a few years back and wouldnt recommend them, but other than that I havnt had any real issues with supra companys.

· Registered
435 Posts
A double knock is normaly the wrist pins.as a loose pin will knock once and then again as the piston changes direction.when you unpluged no.6 coilpack, you took the combustion pressure off the piston and the noise was removed. so i would suggest removing the head and no.6 piston and checking the pin.

· Registered
204 Posts
Ok spark plug, fair enough..

Did you rotate the engine and jiggle the rod ends? Did you actually pull the caps off the Rods?

But as I read.. since the sound disappears when the coil is unplugged, sounds like piston slap to me..

lol who was this guy working on your car...? Did he wield a pitch fork and drive a tractor?
take the pistons out,,, piston slap very common with arias pistons,, had that problem ... are you running arias???

· Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, alot to address here. Ok, first these are stock pistons. Never touched the bottom end during the rebuild. The piston slap was what I was considering. Would a piston slap give a similar sound? Keep in mind, the car was sitting for over 2 years without being run, do you think the noise would go away once warmed up? Or should the head come off still?

The guys working on the Supra now actually know what they are doing. I pulled it from the first guy, took it to a place called Precision R. Now I had another shop remove the motor because Precision R charged way too much. I look at the crank shaft, and the bearings, and there is no wear whatsoever. Precision R is asking me to have the crank tested at a machine shop to see if there is any cracks that cannot be seen by the eye, which can cause the double knock as well, even though there is no damage to the bearings. This sounds strange to me, but ok.

I do have confidence in these guys, its just that I am trying to figure out what is going on before we rip the whole thing apart, but it sounds like the head is going to have to come off.

· Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im wodering...it was missing spark plugs when I got it back the first time...could something have fallen into the chamber from the hole? Guess ill be pulling the head afterall. Thanks everyone...only way im going to figure this out is to completely disassemble the engine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.