Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I was being extra-safe by keeping my timing a little low... But I noticed if I turn my timing lower than about 16 degrees at peak torque (up to 22 psi) with race fuel, it appears to be knocking like crazy. I just checked my knock data with my AEM and it's going up to 4 volts even at 4000-4500 rpm! It looks pretty bad. Is it detonating b/c the timing is too low? Or are those just misfires? How dangerous is that? The last time I dynoed my car, I had the timing set even lower at first b/c I wanted to log some good knock data so I would have something to compare to, and the same thing happened. The car would barely even run at 13-14 degrees. It kept popping and didn't want to accelerate smoothly. My car loves timing it seems.

-Paul

·
I smell C-16 ;D
639 Posts
I don't believe that not running enough timing is exactly dangerous. However, it Causes the EGT's to go out the roof (even more so than a lean condition) Thus it is not the best on exhaust valves or your turbo. However, I highly doubt it is truly knock and probably more of a miss fire. Drew

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I don't recall all the problems running ultra low timing will cause but I agree with 65Vette that too low timing will make exhaust temps go through the roof. My tuner doesn't like going too low with timing. I personally use 15 degrees at peak torque on 91 octane and up to 18 psi.

Are you posting the same questions on the AEM forums?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I usually don't post the same questions on the AEM forums, once in awhile I do though for especially important items. I think you're right, it must have just been misfiring that I was experiencing. The knock data didn't show any knock at all... nothing unusual in the data logs. I didn't think there was any way it could have been detonation myself, but that's what the guy who dynoed my car last insisted it was, so that made me a little uneasy. I realized he had no clue what he was talking about in general, so he was probably just using the wrong word to explain what was happening..

-Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts