Supra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, just joined , I’m a fellow MK5 owner from Orlando, FL. Absolutely loving my car and really enjoying it, however after today’s announcement I a bit heart broken. Just after 6 months Toyota decided to put a better engine in the 2021 Supra , I know most of you will reply saying we all knew this was gonna happen, and that’s right but most of us thought it would be a software update / tune or at least upgrades that are backwards compatible, instead Toyota decided to put a better version of the BMW B58 engine in the 2021 Supra, now id normally welcome such upgrade if it had been 2-3 years but this really hurts the resale on our cars, yes some of you don’t care, some of you are wealthy enough to take the loss, yes some of you will reply saying “you are a joke, hope you are trolling, shouldn’t have bought the first year of the car, should’ve done your research” etc , and you all are right, perhaps we shouldn’t have bought the first year of the Supra , but we decided to support Toyota, if we all waited for the second version then there wouldn’t be a Supra mk5 today, as a current owner I’ve started a petition, I believe we deserve to be compensated as our cars will be worth less than 35k by the end of the year, which is about 40 percent depreciation average if you paid MSRP for your car. I’ve already dealt with negativity on other Supra forums, I’m kindly asking for you to put yourself into our shoes before leaving a comment. If you think I’m stupid simply move on, if you feel the same way as I do, then join the conversation and sign the petition below. Thanks in advance. Because I’m a new member it won’t let me post links, but I’ll try to put the link under my profile.

Tony
Guessing Toyota changed compression ratio due to high octane need for 2020 setup...motor really wants 93 no ethanol all the time, with no cheap octane boosters.

·
Blue Thunder
3,518 Posts
Guessing Toyota changed compression ratio due to high octane need for 2020 setup...motor really wants 93 no ethanol all the time, with no cheap octane boosters.
Wha, wha, WHAT ?!?! :poop:

Great first post newbie !! :rolleyes::oops::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks for all your replies, I realize I bought a bmw, unlike others I actually was happy with the fact that it’s a bmw with a Toyota badge, I owned multiple M cars, but was never fond of their looks, new Supra or as you’d call it Z4 was the bmw I’ve always wanted but they never made, I never understood the obsession with MK4 Supras or the 2JZ engine, every MK4 owner claims that MK4 is the best Supra ever yet a stock one couldn’t beat a Daewoo Matiz around the track, if it’s a pissing contest you guys want I can go all day about how overrated the MK4 is , but I’m not here for that, I started this thread for the MK5 owners who felt the same way as I did, not for the others or their hate messages, im not butthurt, nor mad, at all stages of my life I’ve always protected my and others rights in the name of fairness, if I can raise enough awareness and get a few hundred people to sign my petition I can at least show car manufacturers / big corporations that we aren’t stupid and they can’t just do whatever they want, by doing that we can at least ensure they respect their customers. It’s obviously too late for the current mk5 owners, as Toyota / bmw won’t just install new engines in our cars. It still is worth giving a shot to see what we can get from Toyota. So no this post is not about the MK5 or the MK4 , this post was never about how shitty the MK5 is, or how much you guys hate it, or how stupid I am for buying one, this post was meant to bring people together and seek fairness, I’m really disappointed that instead of taking a minute to sign the petition you decided to call me names, call the car piece of junk bmw, who gives a flying shit who makes the car, we are all bunch of car enthusiast at the end of the day, what we drive really matters that much ? We can’t just support our choices and the community?
Says the MKIV is overrated.

But loves the Zupr4. Lmao

Then bitches when the newer Z4 gets a small bump in power.

If you had a real Supra you wouldn't have that problem.

But no, you'd rather spend ~60k to get 350hp in an imposter vehicle with a pedigree of almost instant obsolescence. I'd say the Zupr4 is, quite, overrated. Lmfao

Cry yourself to sleep with that petition, too. I don't think there's anything more #millenialcarguy than that

·
Registered
178 Posts
To sign my petition I can at least show car manufacturers / big corporations that we aren’t stupid and they can’t just do whatever they want, by doing that we can at least ensure they respect their customers.
Had you checked here before buying one you probably wouldnt be in this situation and actually could you arent "stupid" the writing was on the wall here for quite some time. Its "hatred" yet when you come to a realization what we say is true, the injustice has to be rectified.

Never understood the obsession with MK4 Supras or the 2JZ engine, every MK4 owner claims that MK4 is the best Supra ever yet a stock one couldn’t beat a Daewoo Matiz around the track.
Knowledge is lacking if you dont understand the 2JZ platform, or why the Supra platform is legend. Yet you buy a Zupra and complain about it the moment a minor increase is made, I guess its not all that great.

Not going to garner any sympathy from any on lookers with further ignorance of the platform.

·
iSPOOL
1,400 Posts
OP all you had to do is like your car and you couldn't even do that (And don't say you do enjoy it if you're here asking for toyota to compensate you through a petition). I've said it time and time again to others, enjoy your car. Accept it won't be liked by everyone, it's a disgrace in my eyes, but if you like it then that's all that should matter.

Toyota releases what looks like the finished version of the car (2021 version) and you cry like a baby because you bit the bullet too early? Did you not see how much Tada lied through this entire process?
Here's just a few I remember from one video:
-Remember the "vents could be made functional" lie?
-Remember the "engine strut bar made the car too stiff" lie? Which they added to the 2021 car...
-Remember the "front ducts were too large and caused overcooling" lie? Which I believe they added on the 2021 car...
-Remember the "MKIV owners engines blowing when they turned up the boost" lie?
Or maybe you were just ignorant to it all.

Just accept it you were duped and you're mad that we are sitting here not sympathizing with you. We aren't lifting any torches and rioting with you because you made a mistake. You have to increase you level of awareness to bullshyt before you spend major coin on something like a car.
Plus you shouldn't ever buy 1st generation anything (video game consoles, phones, cars, services, computers, software, etc). Wait! Think about it. I won't even entertain buying a C8 Corvette until 2023 for many reasons. Even though it looks amazing I still want to get more feedback from the masses and form an educated opinion after that data comes in.

Lastly saying the MKIV & 2jzgte is over rated tells us enough about you and your ignorance. We don't think our car or engine platform is pure perfection. But it damn sure was great for its time and is the best engine to come put of Japan. Your car hasn't even come close to raising the bar, the best compliment it has gotten is that it's the best BMW on the market.

Sorry to keep beating this horse but damn dude go cry on the BMW forum.

Life isn't fair, suck it up buttercup. You pay taxes then you die ?.

·
Blue Thunder
3,518 Posts
You tell um Shady !!! LOL

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,523 Posts
You are right, everything you said I agree with, Toyota doesn’t owe us anything either, they didn’t promise us anything
Good, now go and delete your petition.

The rest of your various statements smattered through out this thread? Well, I wont even entertain replying to them for my own amusement.

Reactions: SupraApe

·
Registered
Supra MK5
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Man, quite a bit of similarities between the OG Vipers and the Gen V. Sure, the Gen V has absolutely explosive performance potential not unlike the Zupra, but it lost a lot of the character and charm of the Viper in prior generations.
Personally I feel like the Gen V Viper is much less of a letdown than the MKV is, but there's a common theme between them for sure.

Glad you got the extended warranty, I imagine that will be worth the investment. But boy howdy my modding bug would have me counting down the days until I could modify the crap out of it!
yes I agree the gen V viper isn’t too bad , a more capable better car than the Supra mk5 as well, but that front end andthe fact that they only offered it as a coupe was just unacceptable, I think msrp was too high as well! As for the tuning I’ve done a few things so far, Active autowerke catted downpipe , strut braces, as well as a JB+ quick tuner that turns upto boost about 2 psi, milltek exhaust next ????

·
supra7
529 Posts
Jesus Christ I wish they would stop with the updates and just let it fucking die already. The desperation is horrible. It's annoying seeing is smeared everywhere begging for buyers

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
302 Posts
You can now get them under MSRP.
Couple near me.
They have the same ones on the lot since October last year.
Looks like they are starting to get desperate to sell them....
The same ones that they had behind ropes, don't touch!
The same ones they won't allow test drives on unless you put 2k down. I laughed and walked out, was just there for parts anyway.
Can anyone explain the Toyota logic here with this car. Guys up top are making some strange decisions.

Ah well.

Interesting there are 3 recalls already and a few complaints of the electric power steering failures.
That didn't take long.

·
Registered
397 Posts
yes I agree the gen V viper isn’t too bad , a more capable better car than the Supra mk5 as well, but that front end andthe fact that they only offered it as a coupe was just unacceptable, I think msrp was too high as well! As for the tuning I’ve done a few things so far, Active autowerke catted downpipe , strut braces, as well as a JB+ quick tuner that turns upto boost about 2 psi, milltek exhaust next ????
Not a Supra.

Not a MK5.

It's a Z4.

Hey everybody, let's sign a petition for NASDboy to get a free class on how to become an actual gearhead.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
BY GOD THREE FUCKING PEDAL MANUAL TRANSMISSION,

YES, lol. You should see the thread on Corvette Forum about the C8's lack of a manual transmission- Over 7000 replies.

Reactions: JOutterbridge

·
Registered
Supra MK5
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Not a Supra.

Not a MK5.

It's a Z4.

Hey everybody, let's sign a petition for NASDboy to get a free class on how to become an actual gearhead.
Sure! Im sorry I'm just so retarded driving a Z4 with Toyota badges and a supra decal on it. Its not just me though, Toyota is also delusional, as well as 52 states who put Toyota Supra on the title, and the registration, lets also not forget the insurance companies, oh and this very forum that refers this Z4 as Supra MKV / MK5 , and how dare them putting a photo of this Z4 next to the all mighty MK4 that was designed and assembled by the Jesus Christ himself.

Heres your wake up call,

this is not fast and the furious, it certainly is not 1995, everything ages, stock MK4 is outdated, and overrated, its not even a sports car, its a damn grand tourer, at 3500 pounds its not light, the 2JZ engine is great, and can be easily tuned to have 1000+ horsepower and voila you end up with a Japanese challenger, congrats. Nobody gives a shit but the fanboys on the internet, #JDMGANG! WOO! I have seen first gen vipers push well over 1500 hp from their V10s. BIG WHOOP. So now that you are awake, the MK5 is A SUPRA, is a TOYOTA, and wait for it.... a better SUPRA than the MK4. Facts.

Grow the f up.

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
Gents, a few things:

Toyota owns the IP, Toyota owns the brand, Toyota owns the trademark, Toyota calls it a Supra. Or GR Supra, whatever.

We don't agree that it lives up to the name, because the name 'Supra' has a vaunted and very emotional meaning to us, having carried this damn torch for so long. That needs no explanation.

What DOES need explanation, apparently, is that we had our glorious shit-talking fucking Festivus about it not living up to that expectation and Toyota collectively gave precisely 0.00 fucks about what we think.

Continuing to engage in the 'ITS A FUCKING BMWZ! NOT A FUCKING SUPRA!' posts every fifteen minutes will not change reality any more than a 5 year old can cry, pout, and temper tantrum enough to finally get a ride to the fucking Moon.
Sure, we can engage in the lower-intensity dialogue about such things, such as how I prefer to refer to it as the 'Zupra' to better differentiate which car I'm talking about.

Also, while it might scratch that festering itch for a little bit - and lord knows I did plenty of scratching myself - ultimately it accomplishes absolutely fucking nothing. Like that 5 year old crying for a flight to the moon, the goal of those antagonized so unreasonably isn't to realign efforts toward meeting our expectations or alleviating the disappointment, it's simply to get us to finally shut the fuck up.
I believe Toyota reached that conclusion as a corporate whole regarding the MK4 and had things been more diplomatic, perhaps things like restarting parts support, meeting our expectations with the MK5, etc, may have been more fruitful.

All water under the bridge at this point.

Supraforums has a time-honored 'rough side of town' reputation and I will start a container ship's worth of shit with anyone that dares try to change that.
But historically we've maintained ruthlessness while also being focused, informed, technically astute, and clever about our shit-talking.

A large majority of the shit-talking content in this thread is absolutely NOT meeting Supraforums standards for protected and honored shit talking. It's shrill screaming childish fuckery.
Childish fuckery is what we expect of our victims, not of us.

I fucking expect better of you all. The majority of you are talking shit like a bunch of catfishing perma-virgin zit-popping fucking neckbeards and that is SUPREMELY fucking disappointing.

If you're in the MK5 section to talk shit about the Zupra I expect your shit to be factually accurate, astute, eloquent and entertaining. I expect your discourse to be germane to the specific discussion at hand- e.g. Zupra has predictable BMW engine problems, I expect 'BMW have historically had issues with the N54 or N55 for XYZ reasons and this is the same as ABCD because Component Chingus-12 loves to fucking blow up because BMW are a bunch of mouth-breathing doll-fucking retards that think ABS plastic is a suitable substance for a load bearing structure there'

NOT

'LOL POS BMW NOT A SUPRA'.

I expect MK5 owners to be able to talk to other MK5 owners here constructively without every fucking post getting intercepted by the same screen-names with the same blathering childish trash telling someone they're wrong for buying and liking the car they bought with their own fucking money.
If they fucking enjoy their Zupra the more fucking power to them. At least they didn't buy another fucking Tahoe or Prius.

Now, if they want to trash talk the MK4 it's on like motherfucking Donkey Kong and I'd expect you all to give it your SF best - which means that your vitriol meets Supraforums standards for high octane pro-level shit-talking. If you sound like a bitter, sad, un-fucked neckbeard because all you can do is blather generic sanctimonious 'ITZ NAWT A SCHUPPPRAAAA' well....

Fucking check yourself and don't post it, or I will start to check you.
I will NOT have the OG Supra community represented by worthless children, or even more detestable, allegedly grown ass adults that can't even act right. I'll dust off the ban hammer and be the last motherfucker logging in on this forum before I'll see you worthless degenerate fucks continue to fuck this up.

Consider the long game. It's in our collective interests to represent ourselves as a community of successful professionals with disposable income worthy of Toyota's consideration. That's how MK4 new parts production and ongoing parts support will happen.

TL;DR - Let the MK5 guys talk to other MK5 guys, step up your motherfucking game to Supraforums standards if you're gonna talk that good shit, because ya'll are slipping and talking shit like like a bunch of bullied middle schoolers. And for motherfucking fuck's sake stop pointlessly filling every MKV section thread with your shrill vapid shitposting.

If you've gotten this far and you're offended; good. Fuck you. Stop getting hurt over nothing and start being better.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I will NOT have the OG Supra community represented by worthless children, or even more detestable, allegedly grown ass adults that can't even act right.
Absolutely perfect.

I love reading/talking shit, but it has gotten to an infant level of stupidity lately. If someone says something dumb, then by all means "correct" them with a little smack. But things like "What tires should I upgrade to?" are followed by the retardation of "who cares its a bmw lololzlzls" should go back with the children on 4chan.

·
Smith & Wesson Member
600 Posts
the MK5 is A SUPRA, is a TOYOTA, and wait for it.... a better SUPRA than the MK4. Facts.
How do you know it's a better car? Do you have experience with the MKIV?

Last version to a new rendition - Doesn't automatically make it better.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sure! Im sorry I'm just so retarded driving a Z4 with Toyota badges and a supra decal on it. Its not just me though, Toyota is also delusional, as well as 52 states who put Toyota Supra on the title, and the registration, lets also not forget the insurance companies, oh and this very forum that refers this Z4 as Supra MKV / MK5 , and how dare them putting a photo of this Z4 next to the all mighty MK4 that was designed and assembled by the Jesus Christ himself.

Heres your wake up call,

this is not fast and the furious, it certainly is not 1995, everything ages, stock MK4 is outdated, and overrated, its not even a sports car, its a damn grand tourer, at 3500 pounds its not light, the 2JZ engine is great, and can be easily tuned to have 1000+ horsepower and voila you end up with a Japanese challenger, congrats. Nobody gives a shit but the fanboys on the internet, #JDMGANG! WOO! I have seen first gen vipers push well over 1500 hp from their V10s. BIG WHOOP. So now that you are awake, the MK5 is A SUPRA, is a TOYOTA, and wait for it.... a better SUPRA than the MK4. Facts.

Grow the f up.
Wrong.

Heres your wake up call.

It is Fast and Furious.

LOLPOSBMWNOTASUPRA.

You mean timeless and underrated.

Correct - Toyota, all 52 states, insurance companies, and anyone who refers to it as a Supra or MK5 on this forum are all delusional.

Correct, we already established early on that putting the Z4 in the same photo for the banner of this forum was nothing more than disingenuous greed.

Yep, we end up with a bulletproof 1000whp+ Japanese Challenger that people in the know all respect that's a track monster who won legitimate races in Motorsport, and you end up with a wet paper bag engine European Z4 that people make fun of.

A better Supra than the MKIV?

First of all, it would need to be a Supra to do that.

Secondly, it would need to not be a piece of shit carbon copy of a real car that needs millions of dollars worth of lies behind it to convince schmucks like you to buy it.

A better Supra... Lol. Now I know your'e a troll.

"Facts" - shows that you're a millenial. Any teenager I'm around for more than 10 seconds says that every other word.

Get lost PerformanceSound.

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts

Heres your wake up call,

Grow the f up.
I like the cut of your jib, sir.

But anyone that gets into minutia about the difference between a 'sports car' and a 'grand tourer' is a closet Miata fanatic that thinks 105hp is just fine.
Because the MK4 got compared to (and routinely trounced) the NSX and 300ZXTT and FD3S RX7's as peers, same with the Corvette and the 1G Vipers, so I guess those are all 'GT' cars too.

The MK4 and MK5 have no meaningful difference in curb weight, and the only way to make that matter is to do childish shit like compare the heaviest TT auto Targa MK4's to stripper-on-cocaine base models of the MK5 to include the 4cyl models. My big fat black bitch hardtop MK4 weighed a whopping 3320lbs, 6-spd single turbo and full interior and all features, so now what?

R35 GTR's put a hurting on the MK5 despite being a profoundly fat bitch, so with AWD and boatloads of power these days, with brakes and tires to match, what dictates what's a sports car and what's not? Performance, or curb weight? Cool story bro, cry about how it's better to weigh 3400lbs instead of 3900lbs when that R35 is putting buses on your MK5.
Or perhaps you'll run into a MK4 in fighting trim on the street, and see who drags who to that legendary Gapplebees, way out in Gappleton, the Gapital city of Gapghanistan and jewel of the Gappalacian mountains.

MK5's are showing some potential but it's hardly as proven or as vetted as the MK4. Hopefully the MK5's hold on to coolant and timing chains long enough to do much better.

The MK5 is better if all you need is a warranty and an automatic transmission, that's a fact I suppose.

Otherwise it's the special needs offspring that came about after an FT1 got drunk enough to fuck a BMW and skipped town, but left a note on the dresser saying his name was Supra.

At least as MK4 guys we can do the 'Not the Father' dance when this shit ends up on Maury.

41 - 60 of 203 Posts