Supra Forums banner

141 - 160 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Why does this place even have a MKV owners spot if all they are going to do is get harassed? Just leave it off and people can go elsewhere as you said. Maybe I'll call David Wilson who runs TRD and make that suggestion. He can contact his people at TMS and make it happen. Problem solved.

·
Registered
895 Posts
keeping it real classy in here ooff

speculating how another man treats his wife.....?

thats what the mod team is really posting about ?

Im all for this no rules "self police" policy. minus talking shit about peoples family / wives / kids. you can fuck right off with that

·
Administrator
8,755 Posts
keeping it real classy in here ooff

speculating how another man treats his wife.....?

thats what the mod team is really posting about ?

Im all for this no rules "self police" policy. minus talking shit about peoples family / wives / kids. you can fuck right off with that
Seriously from all that you're going to cherry pick that comment out of context? I said it in direct response to him claiming I pulled the prick out of him. Nuance your shit.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Seriously from all that you're going to cherry pick that comment out of context? I said it in direct response to him claiming I pulled the prick out of him. Nuance your shit.

Wtf context are you talking about ? I say you way out of line by trying to score points in a pissing match with that very demented logic. You realize that your basically accusing him of not treating the women in his life good. Read that slowly and try to comprehend what I am saying. It's an awful look in general - but for someone with the authority to moderate the forum - if I were in charge you would be gone bud.

·
Administrator
8,755 Posts
Wtf context are you talking about ? I say you way out of line by trying to score points in a pissing match with that very demented logic. You realize that your basically accusing him of not treating the women in his life good. Read that slowly and try to comprehend what I am saying. It's an awful look in general - but for someone with the authority to moderate the forum - if I were in charge you would be gone bud.
Lets wind this back a bit,

So from my quote
Act different because I got a pm from a moderator? what world do you live in? I brought the prick out of you? is that what you tell your wife/girlfriend also?
You took that comment that was meant as a counter punch/mean joke as me accusing him of not treating women in his life good? I didn't accuse him, I asked him the question because that comment deserves some explanation. He says no I don't say that your a dick admin fastturbo, I reply ok cool conversation over.

Once again, this is an online forum, people will have pissing matches from time to time, sorry if my sentiments and sense of humor or "demented logic" don't align with yours and it doesn't have to.

I'll keep that last comment of yours in mind bud. Sorry if I pissed in your cheerios or something in the past. Sheesh.

·
Registered
792 Posts
what if you buy a new MKV, quickly swap the parts you want. then return it within 3 days.
let them feel the pain!

·
The Great Beast 666
463 Posts
I was one of the loudest and most vehement anti-BMW sorts around here until recently.
It's exhausting and at this point will change nothing and I don't care to keep riding that horse. There was a cusp where perhaps Toyota could have adjusted their ways, but that ship has sailed and the Zupra is here to stay.
I genuinely hope it is successful for Toyota and thereby perhaps encourages them to build a MK6 that is all Toyota instead. But I strongly doubt that will happen.

To your point - Toyota owes you absolutely fucking regardless of the number of petitions you start, sign, etc. The car was not misrepresented. They did not warranty your 2020 Supra experience against being worse than the 2021 Supra experience. You can bitch piss and moan about it all you want, but Toyota owes you nothing.
Toyota doesn't owe the MK3 or MK4 owners like me a damn thing either, all we can do is yell loud enough to be heard as a potential market for parts and support for them to MAKE MONEY.
You represent a very small demographic where the BMW part was appealing but you loathed the BMW styling. When these MK5 specs were first announced and it was widely known that the BMW was getting the better engine, not a SINGLE FUCKING PERSON here or anywhere else in the Car-internet world thought that was a good idea, and we saw the writing on the wall for a "TRD" model or similar to get the actually superior engine.

To see the better engine stuffed into the whole 2021 lineup is a simple and very clear move by Toyota responding to the massive collective shrug and 'meh' that sounded again, literally everywhere on the internet where cars are discussed, when the abjectly fucking pathetic 335hp figure was announced.
I can buy a 5.0L Mustang or a Camaro SS with a BY GOD THREE FUCKING PEDAL MANUAL TRANSMISSION, bigger brakes, more tire, and almost 100 more fucking horsepower, for LESS MONEY.
Sure, the slalom numbers and lap times and even the 0-60 tests may show the Zupra as the peer or superior to those cars in performance, but Americans buy horsepower and bragging rights first, and a fast car second. Toyota wildly fucking missed that mark, just as they wildly missed that we love Toyota for the Japanese build quality, attention to detail, and endurance - not because of the Toyota logo or any of their unbelievably stupid lifestyle branding or Instagram 'It's Lit' posts.

It is unfortunate that you feel victimized by Toyota's monolithic and tone-deaf behavior, but welcome to the world of being a Supra enthusiast, and welcome also to buying a first-year flavor of a brand new car. A BMW to boot, which already has a very established depreciation curve that already approaches terminal velocity.
Trust me, we understand the feeling of betrayal. With the MK5 'Supra' we just enjoyed the automotive equivalent of staying true to our woman for decades hoping she'd put out, only to wait 20 years for a grumpy half-assed handjob and a divorce decree.

Toyota gave us this BMW Zupra because it was the simplest and most effective path to put a MK5 Supra using FT1 styling in Toyota showrooms while requiring the minimum capital outlay required. Many folks claim that Toyota could not have built a Supra of their own for a lower MSRP. To claim that when Toyota has literally billions in available capital is so jumped-up-your-own-ass retarded that I struggle to follow their logic. The claim that Toyota simply made the most Japanese and risk-averse decision available to make this MK5 would be accurate, and letting BMW do all the work made it that much easier. BMW buys hybrid and battery tech from Toyota, Toyota gets the Supra monkey off their back, Toyota has to do basically fucking nothing. Win-Win-Win. For Toyota.
Toyota doesn't understand why GM puts so much effort and love into their Camaro and Corvette owners. Or why Ford puts so much love into the Mustang, or why Dodge saw fit to revive and keep pumping horsepower into the Challenger and Charger. It doesn't make sense financially from a 'I build appliances and want maximum sales and margins' perspective.
It's effort that could make more money elsewhere but sometimes it's just not about making more money and Toyota has shown absolutely zero evidence that they understand it as a corporate whole. Small pockets of that love for cars exist within Toyota, yes, but as a corporate cultural icon the Supra isn't the cherished prince of the brand - it's a fucking Prius instead.

Congrats on your purchase and I hope you enjoy it for many years. I would personally recommend that the best course to avoid the BMW depreciation curve is to keep the car for many years, and put a ton of miles on it. Ultimately, enjoyed miles on the road is all that really matters when it comes to a good car.

So enjoy it as is through the warranty period and then go ham with the aftermarket potential available once the warranty is up.
I would stockpile the parts needed now while the aftermarket is focused on the 2020 model because the aftermarket is sure to shift toward supporting the 2021+ models in short order. One could likely time that shifting focus and catch some of those parts for a deal.

Good luck and happy driving.

they don't owe us... but to be honest I have to say that they (Akio Toyoda) owes this man.

he also owes his ancestors answers, answers that will only come in the form of seppaku! It is stated in Bushido!!!

Im just messing around on the last part btw :) not feeding into that idiot check elbow. I thought he was gone long time ago.

Gents, a few things:

Toyota owns the IP, Toyota owns the brand, Toyota owns the trademark, Toyota calls it a Supra. Or GR Supra, whatever.

We don't agree that it lives up to the name, because the name 'Supra' has a vaunted and very emotional meaning to us, having carried this damn torch for so long. That needs no explanation.

What DOES need explanation, apparently, is that we had our glorious shit-talking fucking Festivus about it not living up to that expectation and Toyota collectively gave precisely 0.00 fucks about what we think.

Continuing to engage in the 'ITS A FUCKING BMWZ! NOT A FUCKING SUPRA!' posts every fifteen minutes will not change reality any more than a 5 year old can cry, pout, and temper tantrum enough to finally get a ride to the fucking Moon.
Sure, we can engage in the lower-intensity dialogue about such things, such as how I prefer to refer to it as the 'Zupra' to better differentiate which car I'm talking about.

Also, while it might scratch that festering itch for a little bit - and lord knows I did plenty of scratching myself - ultimately it accomplishes absolutely fucking nothing. Like that 5 year old crying for a flight to the moon, the goal of those antagonized so unreasonably isn't to realign efforts toward meeting our expectations or alleviating the disappointment, it's simply to get us to finally shut the fuck up.
I believe Toyota reached that conclusion as a corporate whole regarding the MK4 and had things been more diplomatic, perhaps things like restarting parts support, meeting our expectations with the MK5, etc, may have been more fruitful.

All water under the bridge at this point.

Supraforums has a time-honored 'rough side of town' reputation and I will start a container ship's worth of shit with anyone that dares try to change that.
But historically we've maintained ruthlessness while also being focused, informed, technically astute, and clever about our shit-talking.

A large majority of the shit-talking content in this thread is absolutely NOT meeting Supraforums standards for protected and honored shit talking. It's shrill screaming childish fuckery.
Childish fuckery is what we expect of our victims, not of us.

I fucking expect better of you all. The majority of you are talking shit like a bunch of catfishing perma-virgin zit-popping fucking neckbeards and that is SUPREMELY fucking disappointing.

If you're in the MK5 section to talk shit about the Zupra I expect your shit to be factually accurate, astute, eloquent and entertaining. I expect your discourse to be germane to the specific discussion at hand- e.g. Zupra has predictable BMW engine problems, I expect 'BMW have historically had issues with the N54 or N55 for XYZ reasons and this is the same as ABCD because Component Chingus-12 loves to fucking blow up because BMW are a bunch of mouth-breathing doll-fucking retards that think ABS plastic is a suitable substance for a load bearing structure there'

NOT

'LOL POS BMW NOT A SUPRA'.

I expect MK5 owners to be able to talk to other MK5 owners here constructively without every fucking post getting intercepted by the same screen-names with the same blathering childish trash telling someone they're wrong for buying and liking the car they bought with their own fucking money.
If they fucking enjoy their Zupra the more fucking power to them. At least they didn't buy another fucking Tahoe or Prius.

Now, if they want to trash talk the MK4 it's on like motherfucking Donkey Kong and I'd expect you all to give it your SF best - which means that your vitriol meets Supraforums standards for high octane pro-level shit-talking. If you sound like a bitter, sad, un-fucked neckbeard because all you can do is blather generic sanctimonious 'ITZ NAWT A SCHUPPPRAAAA' well....

Fucking check yourself and don't post it, or I will start to check you.
I will NOT have the OG Supra community represented by worthless children, or even more detestable, allegedly grown ass adults that can't even act right. I'll dust off the ban hammer and be the last motherfucker logging in on this forum before I'll see you worthless degenerate fucks continue to fuck this up.

Consider the long game. It's in our collective interests to represent ourselves as a community of successful professionals with disposable income worthy of Toyota's consideration. That's how MK4 new parts production and ongoing parts support will happen.

TL;DR - Let the MK5 guys talk to other MK5 guys, step up your motherfucking game to Supraforums standards if you're gonna talk that good shit, because ya'll are slipping and talking shit like like a bunch of bullied middle schoolers. And for motherfucking fuck's sake stop pointlessly filling every MKV section thread with your shrill vapid shitposting.

If you've gotten this far and you're offended; good. Fuck you. Stop getting hurt over nothing and start being better.
You know what. Many years ago you spoke to me about ignoring the dumbasses that insult the Supra MKIV by saying its just a Toyota its nothing special etc. you helped me understand that those people are not true car enthusiasts. FastTT also has a piece of that conversation in his sig, and since then I have to say I should have listened to you. This right now is a wake up call for me to do so. Why? because I have gotten into some heated debates on instagram and elsewhere from people who as FastTT coined are Supra freshman and I thought I was educating them but in reality I was being the equivalent of a grumpy old man and also stooping to their ignorant level. you said it best right here:

"I will NOT have the OG Supra community represented by worthless children, or even more detestable, allegedly grown ass adults that can't even act right. "

so thank you.

·
The Great Beast 666
463 Posts
Great post above ^^
I felt the same way. I’ve owned my MKIV for going on 13 years now - taking it from a bone stock TT auto to what it is now and everything in between. I build MKIV for a living. I’ve worked on, built, and driven more than I can even count. Every time I get in one it still gives me chills. Every time I see that gap in front of me and prepare for a pull I get butterflies in my stomach. What you experience in a MKIV cannot be replicated or felt second-hand.
I also have 1500 miles on a MKV under my belt, including a trip from LA to Vegas and back, a couple trips to Palm Springs, and driving around town. I’ve also spent time on the dyno with one and done some (what I consider minor) work including downpipe, exhaust, suspension, and turbo swap. It is exactly what you would expect. It’s not boring. Around town it’s actually kinda fun. On the freeway you can zip around that slow car in front of you with ease. It’s comfortable and high tech. It is exactly what you would expect out of a tame BMW sports car. In no way does it give you the same feeling as a MKIV. It’s not even in the same ballpark. Yeah it’s fun, but is it a worthy successor? Absolutely not. I don’t give a shit that Toyota “partnered” with BMW to build a sports car “together”. I care that they deemed this disgrace worthy of a Supra badge.

This, especially the first paragraph sums it all up completely! Exactly what I would say except my Autistic/Aspergers ass doesn't know how to put it in words so eloquently as that especially this part

"It’s comfortable and high tech. It is exactly what you would expect out of a tame BMW sports car. In no way does it give you the same feeling as a MKIV. It’s not even in the same ballpark. Yeah it’s fun, but is it a worthy successor? Absolutely not. I don’t give a shit that Toyota “partnered” with BMW to build a sports car “together”. "

"What you experience in a MKIV cannot be replicated or felt second-hand." that is going in my sig because it's dam well true.

·
Read Only
12 Posts
I don't know, personally I feel like one should expect first model years to be iffy from quality to performance every car I can think off has had something wrong with the first model years, tho I do see the side that the upgrade pack is a bit too much for model year two from a consumer perspective.

·
Registered
397 Posts
they don't owe us... but to be honest I have to say that they (Akio Toyoda) owes this man.

he also owes his ancestors answers, answers that will only come in the form of seppaku! It is stated in Bushido!!!

Im just messing around on the last part btw :) not feeding into that idiot check elbow. I thought he was gone long time ago.
Glad to see that I'm still living rent free in your head.

In other news, I still have not seen one of these beamers on the street. Have any of you guys?

I saw one at the auto show, and one on an outdoor display at my local Toyota dealer, but I have still not seen one owned by a civilian being driven on the streets.

Thought I would have by now.

·
iSPOOL
1,382 Posts

In other news, I still have not seen one of these beamers on the street. Have any of you guys?

I saw one at the auto show, and one on an outdoor display at my local Toyota dealer, but I have still not seen one owned by a civilian being driven on the streets.

Thought I would have by now.
I still haven't seen one in the wild either. Saw one at my local Toyota and one at a car show in March.

Reactions: CheckElbow

·
The Great Beast 666
463 Posts
what YOU have not gotten through your head is that you are incouragable.

·
Registered
Supra MK5
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Update: I sold my Supra last week for $58875 with aftermarket wheels, lowering kit, and MHD tune on it. I put 3000 miles on it and kept it for 7 months. I ended up walking away with less than $1k loss basically. For all those who have not harassed me, thank you and good luck, those who attacked me and called me names, and told my car would be worth "a pack of gum" by the end of the year can go f them selves. So long.

Edit: I still have the factory wheels and springs, once I sell them I will actually profit some as well.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You should start a business doing that

·
Registered
178 Posts
Update: I sold my Supra last week for $58875 with aftermarket wheels, lowering kit, and MHD tune on it. I put 3000 miles on it and kept it for 7 months. I ended up walking away with less than $1k loss basically. For all those who have not harassed me, thank you and good luck, those who attacked me and called me names, and told my car would be worth "a pack of gum" by the end of the year can go f them selves. So long.

Edit: I still have the factory wheels and springs, once I sell them I will actually profit some as well.
That counting taxes and paperwork fees? Not knowing how FL works. Thank for keeping us posted, surprised you got that much given how ya know your post was about a cheaper/better model being released.

But then again I know the market is high demand atm. Tacoma market is absurd atm. Good for you for bouncing out of a bad platform, and keeping most of your money. Lol

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
285 Posts
That didn't last long.

141 - 160 of 201 Posts