Supra Forums banner

Not so happy MK5 owner (Update VERY HAPPY ex MK5 owner)

40K views 202 replies 65 participants last post by  bigkahuna2187 
#1 ·
Hello all, just joined , I’m a fellow MK5 owner from Orlando, FL. Absolutely loving my car and really enjoying it, however after today’s announcement I a bit heart broken. Just after 6 months Toyota decided to put a better engine in the 2021 Supra , I know most of you will reply saying we all knew this was gonna happen, and that’s right but most of us thought it would be a software update / tune or at least upgrades that are backwards compatible, instead Toyota decided to put a better version of the BMW B58 engine in the 2021 Supra, now id normally welcome such upgrade if it had been 2-3 years but this really hurts the resale on our cars, yes some of you don’t care, some of you are wealthy enough to take the loss, yes some of you will reply saying “you are a joke, hope you are trolling, shouldn’t have bought the first year of the car, should’ve done your research” etc , and you all are right, perhaps we shouldn’t have bought the first year of the Supra , but we decided to support Toyota, if we all waited for the second version then there wouldn’t be a Supra mk5 today, as a current owner I’ve started a petition, I believe we deserve to be compensated as our cars will be worth less than 35k by the end of the year, which is about 40 percent depreciation average if you paid MSRP for your car. I’ve already dealt with negativity on other Supra forums, I’m kindly asking for you to put yourself into our shoes before leaving a comment. If you think I’m stupid simply move on, if you feel the same way as I do, then join the conversation and sign the petition below. Thanks in advance. Because I’m a new member it won’t let me post links, but I’ll try to put the link under my profile.

Tony

See less See more
#4 ·
maybe so, but I still want to try, I have faith in humanity still , this isn’t about me or money, I just want fairness, even if I end up getting a dollar for every MK5 owner out there , I’ll be happy, just tired of big corporates taking advantage of their customers.

#7 ·
What is your point? Toyota is not going compensate you, or any other first year owner.

Toyota doesn't give shit about the prior Supra owners. What's going to change their mind about you.

Good Luck

#8 ·
Take a step back and have a look at overall depreciation values of different vehicle models from Toyota and BMW.
My guess is the depreciation that's going to happen on this vehicle is pretty much in line with the typical BMW value drop.

To expect anything different is a naive mistake.
No offense to you, seriously.
Just trying to be logical about this.

#9 ·
OP seems to already know what we're going to say but yet he didn't know how Toyota and Tada lied throughout this process? Remember how the 4 cylinder wasn't suppose to be released in the USA? I guess those low sales numbers changed their minds rather quickly.

@Patrick94TT said it best.
Other than that I won't sign your petition because those are utterly worthless. All I can say is...sorry for you loss? ?‍♀

P.S. I still haven't seen one of these on the road in Central Florida...

Reactions: StanfordSupra
#10 ·
But I encourage all to read the comments on that petition.

#12 ·
It's gonna depreciate that much ANYWAY !!! BMW cars ALWAYS come with multiple engines. You'll get no pity from us !!! LOL

#14 · (Edited)
Not a Supra.

Not a MK5.

Your Z4 was gonna be worth a pack of gum by the end of the year regardless.

This is commonplace in the auto industry. They act like their new release is the second coming, perfect, and impossible to improve upon. They get as many suckers as they can to buy the car, and after they have swindled as many people as possible, they drop a new trim that's sooooo much better.

Look at the Challenger, just for a quick example.

You have the R/T 5.7, the SRT 6.1, then the ScatPack 6.4.

Then the Hellcat with the boosted 6.2. Everyone lost their mind. 700 horsepowurz??? Omggggg.

In talks with dealers, they acted like it was the hottest thing since sliced bread, and that they couldn't do any better.

I was like yyyyeeeaaa, you could. And you know you could. Why not just drop in the 6.4 with that supercharger and get it over with? Exactly.

I didn't make a deposit.

"Might wanna get one while you can! They are gonna stop producing them after this!" Etc.

No sale. I know better. What happens? They release the Demon.

Which interestingly, has the exact same 6.2. Not even different internals. All the Demon is, is a Hellcat with more boost, a different hood and different wheels. That's it. 100k price tag. Lol.

The Demon is soooo cool and soooo collectible, but they can't even step it up beyond a tune, hood and wheels.

Why can't they just put in a supercharged 6.4? Because they have to save that for the SUPER DUPER Demon, of course!

And guess what? Resale on Hellcats is complete bollocks.

BUT, BUT, BUT, BUT, BUT ITS GONNA BE AN IRREPLACEABLE COLLECTOR CAR THEY SAID.

When it comes to the hype from all automakers, if you're buyin' it they're sellin' it.

But Tada took it to a new level. Literally everything from that creature's mouth was a lie.

Next time invest your time, money and spirit into a real car.

This is why Supra MKIV, R32-34 GTR, FD RX7, S15 etc. are great cars, among other reasons.

You don't have to worry about them being pushed out by some new trim in 6 months like it's an iPhone.

Can't improve upon perfection ?

#15 ·
Not a Supra.

Not a MK5.

Your Z4 was gonna be worth a pack of gum by the end of the year regardless.

This is commonplace in the auto industry. They act like their new release is the second coming, perfect, and impossible to improve upon. They get as many suckers as they can to buy the car, and after they have swindled as many people as possible, they drop a new trim that's sooooo much better.

Look at the Challenger, just for a quick example.

You have the R/T 5.7, the SRT 6.1, then the ScatPack 6.4.

Then the Hellcat with the boosted 6.2. Everyone lost their mind. 700 horsepowurz??? Omggggg.

In talks with dealers, they acted like it was the hottest thing since sliced bread, and that they couldn't do any better.

I was like yyyyeeeaaa, you could. And you know you could. Why not just drop in the 6.4 with that supercharger and get it over with? Exactly.

I didn't make a deposit.

"Might wanna get one while you can! They are gonna stop producing them after this!" Etc.

No sale. I know better. What happens? They release the Demon.

Which interestingly, has the exact same 6.2. Not even different internals. All the Demon is, is a Hellcat with more boost, a different hood and different wheels. That's it. 100k price tag. Lol.

The Demon is soooo cool and soooo collectible, but they can't even step it up beyond a tune, hood and wheels.

Why can't they just put in a supercharged 6.4? Because they have to save that for the SUPER DUPER Demon, of course!

And guess what? Resale on Hellcats is complete bollocks.

BUT, BUT, BUT, BUT, BUT ITS GONNA BE AN IRREPLACEABLE COLLECTOR CAR THEY SAID.

When it comes to the hype from all automakers, if you're buyin' it they're sellin' it.

But Tada took it to a new level. Literally everything from that creature's mouth was a lie.

Next time invest your time, money and spirit into a real car.

This is why Supra MKIV, R32-34 GTR, FD RX7, S15 etc. are great cars, among other reasons.

You don't have to worry about them being pushed out by some new trim in 6 months like it's an iPhone.

Can't improve upon perfection ?
It's how BMW operates, they don't care about the customer 5 years down the road. It's about getting you to upgrade to the next model after 2 years. Similar to Apple products. Every 6 months get ready for some half ass tech upgrade that the Apple zombies will line up in droves for. Sad. I didn't expect Toyota to pull this move so early though. Truly laughable.

#19 ·
They offloaded the BMW cyl heads that had the manifold integrated into it and now they have no choice but to offer the same power plant as the Z4. Should have seen this coming all along. They are desperate to sell the car. That's also why the 255HP model is coming too.

Steve

#24 ·
Check,

I think you nailed it man. The C8 is a fundamental departure from the front engine rear drive architecture that has driven Corvettes from the very beginning. As such, I think the rear mid-engine car will drive Corvette production for as far into the future as we can see. Already, reliable sources predict three different motors in the near term, including the 6.2L small block the first C8 will be released with. According to sources, at some point, the car will also have a 5.5L DOHC twin turbo flat plane V8 (Z06) and a hybrid propulsion car (ZR-1) making upwards of 1,000 hp.

With engine weight in the back, already the base car is quicker to 60 mph (2.9 sec) than the most powerful C7s, so one can only imagine what more powerful cars will do, especially when you consider GM's penchant for doing right by the Corvette when more power is added (suspension changes, wheel/tire packages and brakes to name a few). Since vehicle dynamics engineers acknowledge the superiority of rear mid-engine designs over everything thing else, the intersection you ask about may not happen, IMO, and may go on as long as sports cars are a thing.

As you acknowledge, GM has had the additional hp and other design flourishes down for many years. I think the C8 just broadens the canvas for GM, even more so because the power additions will be more effectively utilized by the C8 as opposed to versions C1 though C7. In fact, the work done on those generations show just how talented and resourceful GM chassis engineers were in getting the front engine rear drive chassis to be as docile, well handling and tractable as they became over the years with ever more power being injected into those cars. With the C8, the potential iterations are virtually unlimited until business case analyses cull the outrageous from a price point of view to something the 'Vette's buying public can properly digest.

Ken.

#25 ·
curious as to whether or not the the guy who bought the first zupr4 for 2 million is gonna want some compensation and sign this petition...

#28 ·
Oh yawn. first of all, it doesn't look like much of an upgrade. maybe they reported low hp in 2020 so they could claim big gains in 2021 and sell more cars. Wait for the indep dyno tests. second, in the mod scene any improvement will be copied, improved further, and sold for less by someone. the people buying aftermarket parts will be selling their stock parts cheap. the car is awesome to drive. just enjoy it.

#29 ·
I would have been more pissed if Toyota would have scrapped the BMW platform and offered this same car with V35A TT from the new LS. The reality is the car did not sell the way Toyota anticipated, so they think putting another BMW motor in it will help with the sales. The limited models in Blue does look really good.

Resale value is on par with all other MB/BMW cars, horrible.

#34 ·
Taking a peek at the Daytona 500 today I saw Tada's Excus-O-Lux 2000 running at redline with all of the 'murican muscle Nascar drivers talking about "Supra is back!"

Really cramming it down your throat. An info-mercial begging you to buy. Like an attorney presenting exhibit A.

Lol. The Zupr4 is like a band that your religious parents recommend.

Beautiful things don't ask for attention.

#35 ·
Uh oh they've noticed @CheckElbow lmao. I guess were "the other forum" now.??

We didn't invade their forum with our Toyota but they felt the need to invade our forum with their BMW, and we're the bad guys? Well many of us won't accept that BMW among our ranks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.