101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Single Turbo
711 Posts
When I heard that I said "That's messed up for the new owners!"

·
supra7
520 Posts
If u want to get ahead and get all the upgrades then get the convertible mkv. It's has the better head and is twin turbo. Has all the upgraded features they will add to the hard top version

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 Supra NA-T
40 Posts
If u want to get ahead and get all the upgrades then get the convertible mkv. It's has the better head and is twin turbo. Has all the upgraded features they will add to the hard top version
Yeah... All M40 BMWs have the B58. Same motor as the "Mk5". Only TT cars are the full blown M cars (X3M for example) that include the S58.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
109 Posts
Yep it's marketing speak.
Twin power has a number of different meanings with BMW.
They are combining different engine technologies and combining them under misleading turbocharger nomenclature.

The M car above uses "twin-power".
It actually gets funnier at this point.
BMW claims twin power turbo consists of 3 elements.
  • variable timing
  • direct injection
  • Single twin scroll turbo

·
Registered
1993 Supra NA-T
40 Posts
Hmm looks twin power to me. Maybe I just can't read
Maybe. "Twin-Power" refers to a twin-scroll style of turbo. There is one (1) turbo on the car, but the exhaust housing is twin scroll. Like I said above, I work in sales at BMW.

·
supra7
520 Posts
Well let me go raise the hood and see. Be back in a minute with a picture
Ninja edit:

Well I just walked over into the shop instead and asked the techs about it. Y'all right it's a single turbo thing going on. I'm Lexus tech and we have Chevy, bmw, Lexus and infinity all in the same complex. So I get to see and compare alot across plateforms in the same place

But at any rate, the convertible version has all the better stuff

·
JetFire
5,321 Posts
^^The Vert is heavier though and the power difference is lost when running against the lighter hardtop with less power.

·
supra7
520 Posts
Stock for stock but who really cares about stock. I damn sure don't

101 - 113 of 113 Posts