Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm about to detail my car again and was wondering if there's a noticable difference with using a clay bar. I don't see much dirt that cant be washed away but I'm curious if using a clay bar than polishing/waxing would make the car shiner versus just washing it and polishing/waxing. Thanks fellas. :)

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
the car feels entirely different when using a clay bar.. it's fun too, and if you got the meguiar's clay bar, the spray smells good :D

the wax will come on and buff off easier and your paint will love you for it. don't forget to do the galss as well, it works on glass and removes tree sap/dirt/etc.

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
clay bar takes what you can't see with your naked eye off.

you can hear the grit and grime being pulled from the paint

it looks great and feels like a new paint job

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
im afraid to clay bar my car, because I tried it once and fucked up the paint a little. Im a noob at clay barring, and I guess I did it wrong... but I did notice that when you rub your hand over it, its a lot smoother, and gets those little pieces of dirt out that get stuck in the paint.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys guys. :)
I just feel a bit bad about clay bar since it'll remove all those layers of wax I have on the car currently. Plus I figure I'll need to apply the 3 step (cleaner/polish/wax) on the car afterwards which is going to take hours. All worth it in the end I suppose!

·
Mid-life Realization!
2,530 Posts
s14roller said:
Thanks for the replys guys. :)
I just feel a bit bad about clay bar since it'll remove all those layers of wax I have on the car currently. Plus I figure I'll need to apply the 3 step (cleaner/polish/wax) on the car afterwards which is going to take hours. All worth it in the end I suppose!
Yes, it is a lot of work, but most all will attest it makes a big difference. Make sure to wash your car down with dawn dishwashing soap first to strip the wax off before you use the claybar.

If want to see how much "stuff" is inbedded in your paint as it is, take a plastic sandwich bag, put it on your hand like a glove and take your fingers (with bag on) and rub your fingers along your hood and you will feel all the crap in your paint!

Brad

·
Space for sale
980 Posts
You'll be able to take off unnoticable dirt and you will be able to feel it when you are clay baring. Make sure you fold the clay bar so the dirt isn't rubbed against the paint.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
hoser813 said:
im afraid to clay bar my car, because I tried it once and fucked up the paint a little. Im a noob at clay barring, and I guess I did it wrong... but I did notice that when you rub your hand over it, its a lot smoother, and gets those little pieces of dirt out that get stuck in the paint.
did you use water or the supplied spray? never use water, you're not supposed to and I tried a panel with water and lightly scratched it. if you left some kind of light scratches after clay barring - assuming you did something wrong like I did, they will easily come off when you do a 3 step after the clay bar process.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a pretty good difference.

I'll probably end up washing the car, claybar the car using carwash soap as the lube (correct me if I'm wrong but I heard it's better/faster than using the spray), apply cleaner wax, polish, than finally layer of wax.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
s14roller said:
Sounds like a pretty good difference.

I'll probably end up washing the car, claybar the car using carwash soap as the lube (correct me if I'm wrong but I heard it's better/faster than using the spray), apply cleaner wax, polish, than finally layer of wax.
i wouldn't use the car soap, use the lube...it works great and it's not 'slower' by any means..

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SupraTico said:
i wouldn't use the car wax, use the lube...it works great and it's not 'slower' by any means..
I'm sure it works very well, it just seems like a waste when carsoap would probably do the trick.

·
Mid-life Realization!
2,530 Posts
s14roller said:
I'm sure it works very well, it just seems like a waste when carsoap would probably do the trick.
I haven't tried the car soap route, but I do know the detailer works great, is not expensive and can be used on an ongoing basis:D

Like someone else said, it smells good too!

Brad

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
banton said:
I haven't tried the car soap route, but I do know the detailer works great, is not expensive and can be used on an ongoing basis:D

Brad
It's not expensive to you because you're a baller! :p
I never even been in a 600rwhp car nevermind owning one :(

On a serious note, I did search on autopia regarding using soap and the write up did say soapy water works equally as well so for those reading this, you can probably save the Detailer spray for...well detailing :)

·
Mid-life Realization!
2,530 Posts
s14roller said:
It's not expensive to you because you're a baller! :p
I never even been in a 600rwhp car nevermind owning one :(
;) Let us know what you think of the clay bar (remember to do the baggie trick before), and how the soapy water works for you.

Brad

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
banton said:
;) Let us know what you think of the clay bar (remember to do the baggie trick before), and how the soapy water works for you.

Brad
Will do Brad. I planned on doing everything today but apparently it's supposed to rain or snow later today. That's PA mountain weather for ya.

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,184 Posts
Claybar works great! It's a MUST DO before you do any machine polishing on the exterior.

One way to save time is to use a fresh bucket of car shampoo, and do the clay process with it right after washing.

Brian

R

·
0 Posts
The method Brian speaks of is used all the time by my detailer, Scottwax on autopia.org, and if Brian has been on Autopia long, he knows and has seen Scott's work....

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Clay bar works great and yes car wash soap water does the trick. Done it myself many times. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts