Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright well I am going to be getting a car after I graduate and I know what attributes I want to go with them. I am thinking of a 996 C2 or E46 M3. Both will be used and manual transmission. I want to spend $30,000 max. However though handling and power is good in both, the cars both can cost me BIG time if a certain something where to break the car would end up being parked and I would'nt be able to fix it. I can handle higher maintinence and repair costs but I want the amazing feeling car, Porsche like... except with reliablilty. Can a used NSX be driven like it's supposed to be driven, and often (as much as 3 seasons allow, I won't be in anything other than the NSX unless it's friggen SNOWING) I like to drive my cars. Not garage queen em. I'm talking WOT on ramps, aggressive turn taking and late night road carving. Can I expect Accord reliability out of these NSX's? I want to know the good, the bad and the ugly. Leave nothing out please. Think, $25-30,000 in 3-4 years.

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
You're most likely not going to be able to find an NSX in great condition for $25-30k. In that price (basically under $40k) the only one you'll be able to find would be the 1991-95 model years.

Price Check List -> http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/pricing.htm
Check NSX Prime for more info.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think your perspective on high end cars is a little off. The NSX is not a cheap car to work on. If you can't afford to maintain a Porsche, M3 or NSX, then don't get one. I would suggest that you go with a leased high end vehicle, then you don't have to worry about maintenance.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Based on your two posts it sounds like you want a fast, high image, and cheap car. Unfortunately, you can only have two of these qualities in one package. Pick them wisely. If you cut corners and try to get all three you will probably regret it.

·
Banned
306 Posts
nsx

The nsx was 75-80k back in 92...it is a exotic.
The nsx will not lose money.
The nsx is expensive if it has not been maintained.
Not easy to get to 400wrhp, but its possible.
Daliracing.com, Scienceofspeed.com, downforce.biz, check them out.

Its a great combo for speed, power, looks, and just overall fun factor.

I think a nsx would be a good choice. You will find one for under 30k, but it was have 115k miles plus.

m3's and porsche are not rare to be honest.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The NSX is a great platform for what you're looking for. A good suspension, and later a turbo system and it's hard to beat!
mikey

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would suggest that you go with a leased high end vehicle, then you don't have to worry about maintenance.
that's what I was thinking of doing w/ a 335xi. Don't know how much I'm willing to spend a month to not "own" a car though because I'm sure the 335xi would be $500 a month or so on there lease special they were running.

·
Administrator
17,264 Posts
The running costs on either car can kill you financially...I would recommend neither car for someone of your age, unless you're starting out at a 6 figure annual salary job. A buddy of mine just bought an E46 M3, has a good job, and complained bitterly that the 60k service is $1500 locally for that thing...and that is just routine maintenance. The NSX will be similarly priced for maintenance.

Start with something that you can afford more easily, particularly if you plan to drive the car a lot...which will lead to much more regular maintenance and repair costs. Good luck!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Guess they're paying fresh grads great salaries nowadays. I'd save the 30k and get a $500 beater, but that's just me.

Basically the M3 and the NSX will kill you on wear and tear over the course of ownership.

·
!black
4,625 Posts
Someone is in for a rude awaking about what jobs actually pay out of school :lol:

Lots of people buy exotics/sports cars but few can really afford them. If you can't swing the maintenance and the 'what if" scenarios -- don't buy it.

·
Secret Squirrel Shit
108 Posts
Someone is in for a rude awaking about what jobs actually pay out of school :lol:

Lots of people buy exotics/sports cars but few can really afford them. If you can't swing the maintenance and the 'what if" scenarios -- don't buy it.
Remember graduates in the top 10% get paid top dollar in most areas.

·
Administrator
17,264 Posts
NSX is worth the money, but is a special kind of car not meant for everyone...and that includes straight line speed guys (assuming you don't want to modify the hell out of it). They are really sweet cars.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As a dental hygenist fresh out of the oven you are pretty much guaranteed about $50,000 per year salary with full benefits, 3 weeks paid vacation and that is only working 4 days a week. I am not talking about getting a degree that is very open to all kinds of jobs, my schooling has a specific purpose in mind. Also this is going to be 3-4 years down the road... Think of it this way, a honda accord with whatever mileage is going to run longer with less issues than an old 3 series correct? Get what I mean?

·
Registered
396 Posts
As a dental hygenist fresh out of the oven you are pretty much guaranteed about $50,000 per year salary with full benefits, 3 weeks paid vacation and that is only working 4 days a week. I am not talking about getting a degree that is very open to all kinds of jobs, my schooling has a specific purpose in mind. Also this is going to be 3-4 years down the road... Think of it this way, a honda accord with whatever mileage is going to run longer with less issues than an old 3 series correct? Get what I mean?
http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layouthtmls/swzl_compresult_national_HC07000037.html

It's pretty good salary and career, just try not to live about your means.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
If it's 3-4 years away, do you honestly need to know NOW what you're going to buy? A lot can happen in 3-4 years. You'll probably be needing to find a job, pay off school debt, try and buy a townhouse, and maybe buy some diapers.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts