Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The NV4500 is more of a truck transmission, but it has a wide range of gear ratios, some which would be too low for a supra.

Anyway, I have seen reports of the NV4500 handling 700+ ft/lbs of torque behind deisel trucks, and the NV5600 even more, and of course this is in a big heavy truck!!!

With a $800 adapater from advanced adapters, you can bolt this transmission up to any N/A supra bellhousing

There is also a Getrag conversion kit. I don't know if Getrag used the same bolt pattern for the V160 as the did others, but that kit is less than $400

One main problem I could see with this is clutch. The diesel clutches would be plenty big enough, but I think you are limited to the N/A flywheel. Anyway, just a thought, I may put some more research into this later.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am running a NV4500 in a Jeep with a 400 small block and love it. The only problem I would see putting it into a sports car would be shifting it. It is a truck tranny and the shifts are not the smoothest. Strong but not too quick.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long is your shifter? Wi th a shorter shifter it could shift smoother.

Look at the W series, even the R series.

R150 and R151 are both toyota truck transmissions, but the R154 is a turbo supra transmission.

In my Truck I run a R151 and it does not shift as smooth as my old supra with an R154. Same tramission, but a much longer shifter for the truck.

Also weight transfer. My 4runner wieghs over 5,000lbs and with 12" of lift 38" tires and soft springs, it is a whole different world of shifting.

NV4500 was never made for a car, so you are right, it may not shift smooth in a car, but who knows, nobody has ever tried.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts