Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What in god's green earth would cause this mother fucking cock sucking ass munching dick face of a crank pully bolt to be FUSED to the crank.

I've broke 2 crank pully puller sets, and now I just snapped a bolt in to the crank threads it's self. This was a strengthen steel bolt.

Please someone help me explain how to get this pully off.

HELP!

Now I can smash the crank pully, but I'd rather keep it as a spare for my 2jz. This is on my 1jz btw.... (also i'd like to reuse my water pump as it has less then 10000KM on it)

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
Try heating it up first Eric? aight peace :chicken:

ps- good luck man!

·
Banned
126 Posts
uhm...use a bolt out kit maybe? the drill bit with a reversed screw pattern so it drills into the bolt while turning counter clockwise...right? try that:agreed:

and put some nudie pics in here to go with that NWS

·
Shop Tech All Around Auto
510 Posts
Thread the other 2 holes(if they're not already, hard to tell). You could even drill them out a bit bigger, and thread them for a bigger bolt. Install your puller to them, making sure that the puller is parallel to the pulley(if it's cocked, it'll pull crooked, and wedge the pulley on the crank).

Sometimes on a real stubborn pulley, I'll use a slide hammer, and move back and forth between the two holes to jar it loose. Install it in one hole, give it a good hard jerk, then move to the other one. Usually it'll move a little after a couple of times swapping back and forth. Then I use a pulley puller to pull it the rest of the way.

·
Will my Supra ever run?!!
276 Posts
I use a torch on the pulley (not the crank). It heats up and just slips off like nothing when it's warm enough. I'd think about replacing the main seal after that though... just in case.

·
12,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Used a propane troche we've reefed on this SOB hard, she doesn't want to come at all. I was thinking of threading the toher holes and making a bigger stronger thread for a bigger bolt. But I mean shit I've never had one this tight and it was off less then 1 year ago when I did my 1jz swap.

Slide hammer? Let me google that one.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,210 Posts
Hi Ten bolts and a puller that clamps solid to the Pully so it can't rock and snap the bolts off.

I had a 7M that some bright spark used DevconA on the pully (Ti Epoxy) it took me an entire day and a LOT of swearing to remove it but it trashed the entire front of the motor (I ended up chopping the back off the crank to use it as a machining mandral)

·
3M ENGINEER R.&.D
1,062 Posts
I made a custom puller and applied heat/cold. I'll get pics of the stuff I've used after I get off work.

·
Registered
488 Posts
you can try a 3-arm puller.
You have to becareful if you use the 3-arm puller, it will break the pulley without a problem. Well, atleast thats what I had experienced. :)

ZaZZn,
I used a steering wheel puller, and inserted a 22mm socket into the bolt hole for a stopper. A few turns and she came right out, and a little penetrating oil wouldn't hurt either. LOL, I went through the same exact thing a week ago, I'll post some pics if needed. good luck. -tom

·
3M ENGINEER R.&.D
1,062 Posts

This aerosol contains tetrafluoroethane in a liquid form. It will freeze any thing.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
hell, mine just came off on its own. I wish I had your problem right now. . .

·
Registered
671 Posts
you need to bang the pully with a sledge hammer WHILE you are cranking down on the puller.

same concept as removing ball joints.

·
Will my Supra ever run?!!
276 Posts
A propane torch won't be hot enough. At the very least, you'll need a MAP torch (like $40 at your local hardware store). If that doesn't work, you can try a MAP/OXY torch as well. I've used a MAP/OXY torch and a wet rag to straighten steel beams and even cut thin metal. It gets a LOT hotter than a propane torch for about the same money.

·
i always say toyota !
2,761 Posts
since the bolt is broke. the pully should come off free. they are just rusted together. heat is the easy way to deal with the rusted problem. but use the heat only if you know how to use it. you could damage other things with the heat.

·
Shop Tech All Around Auto
510 Posts
You should be able to borrow a 5 lb. slide hammer from A.Z. or O'R. You can get the map/oxy torch kits pretty cheap at Home Depot and Lowes as well.

·
12,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Going to try to get the slide hammer.. I don't really care about the engine, as I have a 2jz and i'm going to dump the 1jz I just want the oil pump for my buddy, and the crank pully as a spare as they tend to crack along with the water pump! :(

Other issue is It's really hard to hold while we reef on teh pully puller because all I have is a screw driver jamming the flywheel as it turns. well I'll try a hotter torche... I'm guessing you are spraying the freeze stuff on the crank face to keep it cold?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts