Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im debating on moving to NY can't decide if the soup will be coming along or not. Im just curious what the emission laws are like in NY. R they strict? Im running a t88 with all supporting mods to go with it. In FL there is no safety or emission inspection so I have never had to worry before. Thanks to everyone in advance.

· I Solve Problems
7,261 Posts
There is always someone you can find here looking to earn a buck that will pass your car. Normal NYS test fee is $40. Shops who take care of it for you usually charge between $100-200(including the 40). An extra $60 once a year isn't so bad.

· Brake boosting
654 Posts
if you are 96 or newer the car must pass a OBD2 readiness test, which means not AEM/motec etc. unless its a plug and play and youre car will run on stock ECU with out throwing a CEL. if you live in westchester county or points south(NYC,LI) you will get a tailpipe emissions test annually. unless you know somebody you wont pass minus a cat either. i say if you can, stay registered in Florida.

· ex BPU'er
5,973 Posts
Thankfully, I just live north of the city, so I can just unplug my standalone and install my stock ecu, maf and bam, 5 mins later, I'm running fine :). I just need an o2 fooler, and I can pass the tests :D No tailpipe tests here :facesjump

· Registered
248 Posts
STAY REGISTERED IN FLORIDA! CHEAPER INSURANCE AND NO EMISSIONS IS A PLUS! If you have an exhaust expect to be pulled over regularly by dick head cops who would give you a summons that will most likely get thrown out by the judge.

· JZ POWERED
743 Posts
If you have an exhaust expect to be pulled over regularly by dick head cops who would give you a summons that will most likely get thrown out by the judge.

been there done that , but thats only in gay citys like new ro, i just stay away from citys like that

· ex BPU'er
5,973 Posts
Just called them and basically got yelled at over the phone... telling me it's illegal to tamper with the ECU/anything emissions related, even IF you pass tailpipe emissions. It just seems ridiculous that if you have a standalone and produce cleaner emissions, your car is still deemed illegal.

Kit cars and hot rods are somehow excluded from this, which is ridiculous if you ask me...

At least my Supra can still run stock ecu, but what if I want to pick up an SR swapped 240??

· The Caravan Aficionado
6,963 Posts
STAY REGISTERED IN FLORIDA! CHEAPER INSURANCE AND NO EMISSIONS IS A PLUS! If you have an exhaust expect to be pulled over regularly by dick head cops who would give you a summons that will most likely get thrown out by the judge.
^exactly

one of the guys on here (egoguy07) aka Paul lives in jersey but his singled supra is registered in Florida... he told me he doesnt get hasseled at all cause of his florida plates...maybe he can elaborate a bit more if I can get him to chime in..

And you can get anything done if your willing to cough up the cash for it :)

· On call 24/7
2,347 Posts
Don't forget to bring that girl in your sig. :X lol. Nah don't worry about it man..but I do agree..if you can..register your car in FL..one plate, cheaper insurance, and state inspection saver.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.