Supra Forums banner

NY Inspection

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  jahnno 
#1 ·
Can anyone out there help me pass inspection?? I'm on Long Island and since there are new standards to this emissions testing, I can't find someone that will "help" me pass :(

#3 ·
The new emissions are tough, i dont think anyone has found a way on obd ii cars yet. If i were you i would try to find out why your not passing and get it fixed. Thats the only way as of now. The new emissions test is just a plug into your ecu and they can figure it out from there, i dont even think you need to dyno the car anymore.

#8 ·
OBDII cars have it real easy now. If your CEL is on because you are catless, get an O2 simulator. Any other reason the CEL is on should be fixed for the good of the car, not just to pass inspection.

You automatically fail if you reset the ECU before the inspection, even if your car would have passed otherwise, on OBDII cars.

The older cars (OBD 0 and OBDI) still have to run clean to get a legitimate sticker.

#12 ·
chevyeater-on-sf said:
OBDII cars have it real easy now. If your CEL is on because you are catless, get an O2 simulator. Any other reason the CEL is on should be fixed for the good of the car, not just to pass inspection.

You automatically fail if you reset the ECU before the inspection, even if your car would have passed otherwise, on OBDII cars.

The older cars (OBD 0 and OBDI) still have to run clean to get a legitimate sticker.
he's right. There is still a visual inspection, so if you're catless, you'll need to know the guy, the o2 simulator will get you around the MIL failing you though. no way to get around the OBDII test though. you pass or you don't as your computer is checked directly though the NYVIP computer to Albany. If you've got a standalone, you're screwed

there's some talk about the NYVIP system taking VIN IDs from the ECU to prevent you from inspecting another car with the same ECU. Not all OBDII ECUs support this and I don't think the Supra's ECU does, so it's not that big of a deal for us. I know a lot of later model cars have this feature, especialy CAN ECUs. If you buy a used ECU from a yard, you need to go to the dealer to get it recoded or the car won't even start.

I'll bring my scanner out to the next meet and we can scan someone's OBDII car to see if I can get the VIN out of it. If the Supra doesn't support it, then you could probably hook the scanner up to the same year car and the NYVIP system wouldn't know the difference. This might be the only way for people with standalones to get around the system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.