Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
Well mine isn't exactly stock. But I try to keep it as stock looking as possible. Except for the wheels, the steering wheel, & the stereo deck from the outside mine looks like a stock car. I've kept all the orginal parts also so I can go stock anytime I want. No stickers or flashy paint jobs for me! :cool:

·
HKS Slut
240 Posts
I'm currently doing doing the 7mgte swap with garrett to4 turbo, HKS exhaust manifold, custom intercooler, 550cc injectors, etc.:D

S

·
0 Posts
I'm keeping mine as original as possible so it won't lose its value if I ever try to sell it.

Seth

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
seth_31584 said:
I'm keeping mine as original as possible so it won't lose its value if I ever try to sell it.
I was waiting for someone to say this. Let me respond:

MA60 Supras aren't worth any money unless they're _low_ miles (under 60k) because so many were sold. Why would someone pay $$$ for your car when they can get another for $2700?

You're going to have to hold onto that car for decades and hope that a collector's market grows for it if you want to get any money out of it.

On the flip side they hold their value well (but the value is low).

·
Registered
717 Posts
yea... haha, i wouldn't be trying to buy anything that held a high value for any extended period of time.

A- they look/drive nice
B- they are cheap

my kind of car...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Actually they can be worth some fair money for how old they are, I have 78k miles on mine and could sell it now for $4k, these cars were not very popular as well, the mk3 now there was a common supra.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually my 82' with 136,XXX miles cost me $1500, the car is absolutely mint and the guy had been asking $4500 but he had to get rid of it cause he bought a new benz.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Toyota4555 said:
Actually they can be worth some fair money for how old they are, I have 78k miles on mine and could sell it now for $4k, these cars were not very popular as well, the mk3 now there was a common supra.
IMO that's not much money when you think about other cars that retain their value or increase in value.

Given that the car cost $17k in 1985 that's not much money in today's dollars.

Let me put it this way -- it's a poor investment.

S

·
0 Posts
The MkII's might be a collector in 30 years, but for me cars are just toys. I don't expect to sell any of my cars for a profit. My 83' is bone stock except for the stereo. I will be happy if I can find parts for my 83' as time goes on.

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
They made/sold a ton of mk2s, as many or more than mk3s I think. They are $2-3k cars in good shape. <90k miles and in mint condition (5sp PType typically) will pull $4-5k.

Lower mileage mint cars pull up to $12k. Ya just need to find the right buyer ;) A lot of 30k mile car owners want ~708k for the cars, and I have seen them get that $$$.

I want a mk2 to mod. That is my plan. Buying a mk2, and keeping it stock as an investment is stupid, since there are sooo many other cars that are abundant and will turn much better $$$.

H

·
0 Posts
gammbino said:
anyone in here interested in keeping their mkII original or is everyone about modifying the hell out of em
Except for putting in a 6MGE, header, intake, exhaust, springs, having the interior redone in 2-tone leather, and (hopefully as soon I hear something back) some new rims, I want to keep it pretty stock.

Most of that I stuff I kind of consider as minor upgrades. I had recent plans of selling the car, but I think I'll keep her a while longer. I took her for a spin around my subdivision the other day, and even with a bad valve seal she still is feisty. I can imagine what the 6M will do for her.

H

·
0 Posts
quick said:

I was waiting for someone to say this. Let me respond:

MA60 Supras aren't worth any money unless they're _low_ miles (under 60k) because so many were sold. Why would someone pay $$$ for your car when they can get another for $2700?

You're going to have to hold onto that car for decades and hope that a collector's market grows for it if you want to get any money out of it.

On the flip side they hold their value well (but the value is low).
The only problem is, except for guys like us, there will never be a collectors market for them. Too many were sold, too many people still own them, and way too many are still being driven in an overly "dogged out" condition.

I have seen about 5 in the last week that were on their last leg, and honestly should either be one of our parts cars or in a junkyard. I can't even believe that the folks driving them, got them through inspection.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
hard_drive_j said:

The only problem is, except for guys like us, there will never be a collectors market for them. Too many were sold, too many people still own them, and way too many are still being driven in an overly "dogged out" condition.

I have seen about 5 in the last week that were on their last leg, and honestly should either be one of our parts cars or in a junkyard. I can't even believe that the folks driving them, got them through inspection.
Exactly my point. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
True, but who buys for an investment??? I bought mine to drive and to make a awesome ride, fast, reliable, good looking, and a car that not eveybody has. Here in michigan these cars ARE RARE!!! there is no enying that.

later

S

·
0 Posts
The MK2's are extremely rare here in the south. You can go years never seeing one. I really don't think they're as common as some of you think. Also, in the northern states, you won't find many, since older cars all rust.
I bought my 86 MK2 because I've always wanted one from the day they were new. It's not in mint condition, but it could be very easily with a little work and a bit of $$$. :)

H

·
0 Posts
SloppyGoat said:
The MK2's are extremely rare here in the south. You can go years never seeing one. I really don't think they're as common as some of you think. Also, in the northern states, you won't find many, since older cars all rust.
I bought my 86 MK2 because I've always wanted one from the day they were new. It's not in mint condition, but it could be very easily with a little work and a bit of $$$. :)
Come to Atlanta sometime, you will see plenty. I don't even have a problem finding "used parts" for mine, because so many are in the junkyards here. Just 1 Pull-a-Part location has 5 alone. Spend one hour in an area in the Gwinnett/Dekalb county border area around Jimmy Carter Blvd. and Indian Trail Rd., and you are guaranteed to see at least three in terrible condition.

They really are not that rare. Varied MKIII models are, but not the MKII. You have to remember something else, the MKII carried the Celica badge, which did not designate it as a purposeful sports car to many. So, many were sold, and many are still out there. :cool:

S

·
0 Posts
Cool! That's good to know. I can just drive over to Atlanta if I need some parts, I suppose. By rare though, I meant you don't see many driving down the road. Around here anyway, the only ones you'll find are in mint condition, and still have original owners.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts