Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is semi off topic as I have an M3, but I thought that may be there were some Supra owners in a similar position as I.

I moved to NYC last July and left my car down in Maryland for the time being, until I sorted out garage, insurance issues. I want to insure it as a part time vehicle (sometimes referred to as weekend usage), however, I found that most insurance companies require you to be have another registered car. Problem is I don't have another car cause I take the Subway to get to work, as alot of you NYCers do.

My questions is, have any of you from NYC been able to get part time insurance while in a situation similar to mine?

I appreciate the help, and again sorry for bringing this a Supra board, I just figured that some of you in NYC with your monster Supras wouldn't be driving them into Manhattan everyday and might be in the insurance position that I am.

·
Sold Mine :(
1,024 Posts
hmm never really thought about it like that before good point. I am sure there some of the guys on here that can point you in the right direction.

Interested in seeing the answer.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
I searched for somethign liek this and never found it. hence I am carless right now. fucking manhattan

·
Sold Mine :(
1,024 Posts
Damn thats rough!

I had a really really great surprise this week when I called Progressive to add the supra to my policy. Mind you I have no points but I am young (21).

Full coverage on my G35 is $3100+ every 6 months. While the same coverage on the supra added as a weekend car was only $1900 for the year! WOW i was surprised.

Good luck with your search... it may be cheaper to just by a $300 POS and keep it in the country somewhere.

·
" its not a Tuuurbo"
844 Posts
Kevin///M3 said:
This is semi off topic as I have an M3, but I thought that may be there were some Supra owners in a similar position as I.

I moved to NYC last July and left my car down in Maryland for the time being, until I sorted out garage, insurance issues. I want to insure it as a part time vehicle (sometimes referred to as weekend usage), however, I found that most insurance companies require you to be have another registered car. Problem is I don't have another car cause I take the Subway to get to work, as alot of you NYCers do.

My questions is, have any of you from NYC been able to get part time insurance while in a situation similar to mine?

I appreciate the help, and again sorry for bringing this a Supra board, I just figured that some of you in NYC with your monster Supras wouldn't be driving them into Manhattan everyday and might be in the insurance position that I am.
what insurance company did you ask about this part time thing. im curious cause i have my supra sitting costing insurance while i have my every day car on. if i can get a break with the supra that would be great.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
I think you'll need an in with an insurance broker to pull that off. I believe all the companies have the same basic rules regarding part time usage. My Supra is a "pleasure car" w/ State Farm but, I have a daily driver truck insured with them also. I pay next to nothing for the Supra insurance.

On a related note, I read an interesting rule on the DMV website last night. You can transfer your passenger vehicle registration to commercial by basically just removing the back seat and filling out a form. My truck is registered commercial (since it is over 5500 lbs) and the insurance is much cheaper. I dunno though, they may just look at you funny if you ask about insurance rates on a commercial Supra.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts