Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i was in class today (im attending a toyota T-TEN program which is basically to certify me as a toyota technician) and we were doing some O2 sensor work on a new tundra.

and i found out that new O2s have a heater in them that brings them up to operating temperature in like 20 seconds rather then waiting for the exhaust to heat up to operating temperature and then in turn the O2 such as ours work.

its a small thing.....but i was just wondering if any kind of O2 upgrades were available for our cars with a heater....or if any from the newer cars would be interchangable with some nifty wiring....obviously its more then just throwing the sensor in there as it would have to wired through the ECU....

but the thought just crossed my mind while i should have been listening hehehe.....

neways anyone know anything about this?

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
I think all new sensors have the quick heat up. Im using a generic bosche 3 wire O2 with one of JBL's adapter plates. The A/F is reading before I get out of my driveway :)

·
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i believe anything past 94-95 has a heater in the O2 sensor....

its a 3 wire one? so how is it hooked up? cause arent our just one wire....sorry i dont have my car its about 100 miles away right now lol....

i guess ill just wait another year and steal the new air/fuel ratio sensors they are gonna put in cars when they get rid of O2 sensors all together :D

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
The turbo uses a 3 wire, the NA a one wire. I cut the plug off of my old sensor and wired it to the new one I bought.

·
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
interesting......are two of the wires the same color? if so then it has a heater.....and im talkin about the stock one not the bosche one you have....

yeah i was basing my one wire assumption off of my roommates NA....i DID THINK that my turbo had more then one wire.....

was toyota ahead of its time with this also?

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
If you've got a terbow it came with a heated O2 sensor. It seems the turbine absorbs too much of the heat energy from the exhaust. The O2 would take forever to warm up if it was not heated.

edit: clarity

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Yup, the stock O2 has 2 black heater wires and a blue sensor wire. The stock ones take a while to heat up because they are old. Im sure a new stock on would heat up nearly if not just as fast as a new generic sensor.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
All a quicker heated O2 would effect is startup emissions. Not worth doing unless you can get the sensors cheaper or you're having troubles passing emissions.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
The response that I would have made has already been made. Just felt like saying ... gotta love the T-TEN class. I was going to join it .. but they cancelled all local programs ... last time I checked. BOOOO.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
The new Tundra O2 may also be a cheap wideband with a separate heater/controller. I know the CA-spec Toyota Camry's came with wideband sensors starting in '98. The CA-spec '98 Supra did not though...

3,796 Posts
Wideband or broadband? There is a difference in the voltage scales for the two.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
probably broadband then, but I don't know either way. It isnt the typical narrowband you can buy for $25 at NAPA, I believe the retail price was like $250

1 - 12 of 12 Posts