Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· I-Am The Difference
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I have a 97 supra aem equipped, since the car was off the road for almost 3 years i didnt even realize that they have changed the inspection process. Plug in inspaection instead of a pipe test. My car coming out in a week and I am looking for any info on how to acquire a sticker. Any help would be appreciated.
Jason

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Just play dumb. In Pa I do emissions inspections. I've had new cars DLC's fail to connect and they still pass in the end. Not sure how strict NY is but someone local might chime in. The OBDII test is still fairly new and one trick we have of passing people we know is to just leave the datalink hanging :)

· I Solve Problems
7,261 Posts
Unless you know someone your pretty much screwed with a car thats not over 10 years old in NY. The car has to be plugged in. Even if you know someone I do not know if there is a way around plugging it in since it reads the vin.
P.S. Did you get my PM about the front lip?

· V-tec JUST KICKED IN!!!
1,481 Posts
if you are setting off MIL codes you can get an O2 sensor simulator which simulates the voltage for a Cat. My friends with evos and Sti's reboot their entire system and run the car on the machine before the OBII picks up any codes.

You can try either.

I'm in the process of installing an O2 sensor simulator. Hope this helps.

· Registered
402 Posts
Could a person drive close to the station, pull over swap in a obd2 ecu, go thru inspection and then pull over again and swap in the aem? that's definitely not something i've seen people do but if u have to drive less than a mile on the stock ecu, i don't see how much damage can be done if not boosted. granted, it would be a PITA but it might be worth it

Ryan

· I-Am The Difference
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanx for the info guys, the idea of swapping back in my 97 stock ecu is that it does not hold memory. and since you have to drive for a good amount for the car to log the norm, i cant really do that with a heavily modded car :(. im gonna have to go the $ route . pm coming :)

· Banned
4,762 Posts
Why not just go to the emissions place and tell them that you have an aftermarket ECM and that you would like them to perform the Tail Pipe test since there is no longer a OBD2 Connections?

My car too is due to emissions and I'm AEM Equipped, I spoke to Paul @ MSP about the issue and he also stated to tell them that the car was equiped with a Standalone and for them to perform a tail pipe test...i'm taking the supra there next week..... we shall see what happens!

vnt :)

· Registered
973 Posts
ToySupraVS said:
thanx for the info guys, the idea of swapping back in my 97 stock ecu is that it does not hold memory. and since you have to drive for a good amount for the car to log the norm, i cant really do that with a heavily modded car :(. im gonna have to go the $ route . pm coming :)
You dont need any histories to pass the OBD II test IIRC. You only need the engine computer to be functioning and not setting any diagnostic codes (MIL, malfunction indicator light). I think you can wire in your stock ECU to work with key on and just not control the engine, and still use the AEM for engine control.

I know on Chevy V8's I've seen guys running the stock ECM to control the dashboard for example, and then an AEM for their engine setup. So they retain the stock computer, and it passes a plug in OBD II inspection.

· I-Am The Difference
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that was my idea originally, to hook up my stock ecu a a dummy just to pass the plug in test, but many people have told me that the stock ecu is useless w/o the history.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.