Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say I had a 93-95 mk4. Can I go to a standalone system that doesn't have OBD1 or 2 and still be street legal? I know the OBD2 system requires factory equipment or it gets angry. How do those of you(with obd1 OR 2) running exotic standalones pass emissions? Thanks.

·
I'm back!
6,710 Posts
Any adjustments or changes to the stock ECU are illegal, and not just in California, but the whole country. Just because the state doesn't have emissions laws, doesn't mean it's legal.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
braddman said:
Any adjustments or changes to the stock ECU are illegal, and not just in California, but the whole country. Just because the state doesn't have emissions laws, doesn't mean it's legal.
Ok forget the legality then, let's focus more on emissions because no one here knows enough or cares to look for the ECU. Is OBD-1 checked at the emissions station? I was under the impression that it was only obd-2... thanks.

Edit: In fact I just looked it up on epa.gov and they only mention 96 and up vehicles...

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
If your pre 96 your fine. You will fall into the visual and gas cap check. Guys with obdII get gas cap and OBDII port connected to emissions computer. Here in pa if you drive 5k mi per year or less your exempt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts