Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many have gone NA-T and still OBD2? Any of you guys recommending converting to OBD1? For the price I may start looking for AEM instead of just converting.

What problems should I look for in Turbocharging an OBD2? I am looking into getting the BL kit in 1-2 months.. will be doing the install myself. This hasn't really been talked about...which is why I bring it up.

·
Built Auto
1,167 Posts
I'm n/a-t and obd2 (97). It really wasnt that much harder to turbo than an obd1 car. The biggest problem for me was getting the injectors I had gotten to fit and seal in my obd2 fuel rail. The safc is of course wired in differently, but other than that nothing major that caused problems.

I've been turbo for about 4k miles now and everything has run fine. I still need to get an ecu fooler for the check engine light I have on (removed O2 sensor), and my auto transmission isnt holding the power but that will be taken care of soon. :)

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do they have fuel injectors avaliable that don't need to be made to fit on the OBD2 fuel rail? What did you do to fix that problem if you don't mind me asking. Thanks.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
I'm NA-T on my 98 for almost a thousand miles now. Phillip, my installer, had to remove and install the injectors 7-8 times over before the sealed right. It was a pain in the ass and they don't make a direct replacement. I used Precision injectors. DaveH said that if you use R13 O-Rings, they'll seal a lot better.

Just make sure to set your DEC AIR settings on your SAFC2 and you won't get the stalling issues that OBD1 NA-T have.

·
Built Auto
1,167 Posts
I had the same problems with the injectors as USMCSupra describes. Finally resorted to using some Honda O-rings and now everything is fine.

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet, would you happen to know exactly which Honda O-Rings? Sorry for all the questions just trying to get it as right as possible on the first time :)

I know there will still be problems.. I plan on keeping the stock ECU if I stay OBD2, might run stock headgasket on low boost unless I can buy a car temporary to go to work and back during the time that the supra is down, and the SAFC2.

·
Built Auto
1,167 Posts
well i guess it depends on the particular injector/o-ring combination you have. I purchased some of the delphi 525s from Dave H and he instructed me to use the stock o-rings. They didn't work on my obd2 fuel rail and thats why I ended up with the honda ones....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts