Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
GT-R guy
490 Posts
might be a noob question. search is down so i wanted to ask why do people convert to obdII???
They don't convert to OBDII. OBD II is on board diagnositcs II. Its an emissions and engine monitoring/ control system.

Google or Wikipedia OBD II. As of 1996 OBD II was required in the US.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
some, or maybe even quite a few, people here do in fact convert to OBDII from OBD1.

The "reason" is that the specific Toyota tuning in the original OBD1 ECU's is of some concern to some people who believe that there is a lean a/f region in the midband rpm range where the stock turbos transition from #1 to both. If you believe that, you would be convinced to go to OBDII where this tuning was altered. All things considered, I am not a believer in this legend but make up your own mind because I see that in the last couple of years more and more are jumping on the bandwagon.

·
GT-R guy
490 Posts
some, or maybe even quite a few, people here do in fact convert to OBDII from OBD1.

The "reason" is that the specific Toyota tuning in the original OBD1 ECU's is of some concern to some people who believe that there is a lean a/f region in the midband rpm range where.

Seems like a really weird way to do it. Seems like it would be easier to ROM tune the ECU. Normally OBD-II stuff has quiet a few extra inputs and outputs. Back side 02, evap monitoring. Things that normally aren't in an OBD I system.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
As far as I can tell, over many years now there are very few people who have managed to ROM tune this Toyota ECU ...big time secret stuff in there, I guess. Back in the good old days ;) gforce moded the MkIV ECU, I have one, but they are no longer in business, now Technocraft and Speedforsale do it, maybe a couple Japanese companies, not sure who else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts