Supra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...I'm a 34 yr. old father of 2 from Yakima, WA. I picked up my MkIII Supra a few years ago and have just started workin on her due to a busy schedule (2 kids & a mortgage). I'd like to have a 300 rwhp car that I can cruise in during the summer and I'm obsessed with Supra's.

My car is bone stock right now and has a cracked upper tank on the radiator. I've got a Fluidyne that should be here in a week or so to get the car road worthy.

I'm impressed with the knowledge I've found here and look forward to learning from you all while I build my car. I've got a steep learning curve ahead of me as my only experience with motors comes from working on older small block chevys.

I look forward to being broke and FAST!

· 2JZ-GET Single
130 Posts
Welcome. I know the feeling. Fortunately, i got most of the stuff done that I wanted before I became a Daddy. My second boy is due any day so the car will be on the back burner for a while. Anyway... Good luck with your build :biggrin:

· Registered
942 Posts
welcome to the forums and just think give those kids a couple of years and youll end up saving money when you make them change your oil or flush your radiator. isnt that why people have kids? free labor

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Start letting your kids do maintenance on your Supra.....next thing you know they'll want to drive it.......scary!

Thanks for the welcome!

· CreamTeam®
634 Posts
I think I'll have my son help me throw in my Fluidyne rad (if it ever gets here!)
if he ever gets here, lol thats one way to look at it... damn, kids + a car would = me not eating...

· Registered
942 Posts
you should throw up some pics of your car. what kind of chevys have you built?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 1970 1/2 ton Chevy 4x4 that I rebuilt the motor in. Someday I want to frame off the truck but the garage I have just isn't big enough to work on a project of that size.

My Supra is fairly clean, but it is bone stock. I've had it parked for the past 3 years just waiting for funds and a little free time. I'm still learning about the 7M-GTE and it's a little intimidating to me. I'm not used to all the sensors and computers. I've never messed with any thing fuel injected before, much less turbo'd. I'm looking forward to the challenge!

I'll take some pics of her and figure out how to post em.

Marc

· Registered
942 Posts
the 7m is a pretty simple motor 1st step to your build should be a metal head gasket and arp head studs, if your having problems finding parts try horsepowerfreaks.com

· Eddy Haines
1,091 Posts
Save up and swap in a 2jzgte, you won't regret it. Plus you'd have 400ish reliable horsepower, backed up by a good tranny, the r154.

· Registered
942 Posts
2jz is a great motor but the 1jz is just as impressive at a fraction of the cost, same tranny just diff bell housing

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are either of you guys running a 1jz or 2jz? My 7m is still running strong after 130k miles. I may decide to do a swap depending on what the internals of my 7m look like.

Marc

· Registered
942 Posts
Im saving up for a 1J but my best friend just picked up a RHD supra that came stock with the 1jz and it pulls harder than my 7m with all the mods ive done so far plus its alot more reliable

· Registered
942 Posts
alot of the parts for the 1j are the same as a 2j or the 7m, and performance wise online or race shops. Right now I have a horsepowerfreaks front mount intercooler, K&N intake, full three inch rsr exhast no cat, HKS VPC, Apexi boost controller and airflow converter. arp head studs main studs and rod bolts with a 2mm titan head gasket. i just had t61 turbonetics turbo and 550cc injectors but i replaced them back to stock:blah:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.