Supra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post this but if its not sry. I was curious about an Electrical drainage problem I've ben getting since having the car. I have a brand new stock alternator and brand new battery, however everytime I put on the rear defrost and stay idle for a while my interior lights begin to dim out.. when I shut it off.. everything lights up a bit until I press the gas... Sometimes it begins to dim out when the norm defrost is on @ idle for a while but I notice its when I turn on the rear defrost more.. Is this a common problem for the MKIV turbo Supras?? The only mods I have done to the car is the HKS EVC EZ 2 BC, Greddy BCC, Rmm DP/GT-Spec, HKS SSQV bov, Autometer Boost Gauge, Greddy Turbo Timer.. Any help will be appreciated.. ty.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It is normal to see a slight dimming from turning on a large load like the rear defroster. This is what you need to check. With the engine running at idle, with all accessories turned off, measure the voltage across the battery. You should see about 13.5-14.0 volts. Now turn on the rear defroster and measure again. You should have about the same reading. If it is lower, have someone raise the engine RPM to about 1000 and measure it again. With the engine idling at 1000 RPM, if you do not have at least 13.5 volts at the battery, you may have a problem with your charging system, or your battery. Just because it is new doesn't mean it won't be defective. Does anyone know if the recifier/regulator is integral to the alternator assy?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts