Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 96 NA OBDII, and for some reason the car idles somewhat ok (550 rpm) with the karman vortex map for the OBDI supra na-t. When I load the TT 525 map that has AFM, the car turns over and doesnt even idle, it just dies.

Any idea why this is? Same thing happens if I change the NA-T map to AFM, it'll just die.

(Fyi, these are the maps from the PMR site)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Do you have an AFM hooked up? I sold my MAP ECU a while ago... but if I rememeber correctly you cut the MAF wire and the MAP ECU attaches to that on it's output side. If you want to use an AFM, you would have to attack the other end of the cut wire to the "in" side on the MAP ECU.

Why are you trying to use AFM anyway? The main reason to go with a MAP ECU is to eliminate it.

HTH,

Howard

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spliced and soldered the air temp sensor into my stock MAF, but the reason I'm asking which setup to go with is because the ECU is expecting a certain type of signal (different for Karman Vortex vs the MAF), and when I use an AFM map, it won't idle, although my car was stock with MAF.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I guess I don't understand what you are trying to do. The stock MAF has the air temp sensor integrated into it. The only reason the MAP ECU comes with one, is that when you remove the MAF you remove the air temp sensor.

Do you still have the MAF plugged in? If so do you have the air temp sensor wired in as well? That would cause 1 issue.

Why again are you even using the MAF? The MAP ECUs whole purpose is to eliminate it. If you are just using it for fuel control, you should just use an AFC or something similiar. It would be a lot less head ache.

·
SupraForums Manufacturer/Tuner
1,002 Posts
Dj_Diablo said:
My car is a 96 NA OBDII, and for some reason the car idles somewhat ok (550 rpm) with the karman vortex map for the OBDI supra na-t. When I load the TT 525 map that has AFM, the car turns over and doesnt even idle, it just dies.

Any idea why this is? Same thing happens if I change the NA-T map to AFM, it'll just die.

(Fyi, these are the maps from the PMR site)

Thanks in advance!
The 96 OBD2 NA cars are Hotwire MAF meters, not Karman Vortex. You should have the MAF removed from the car, the AT sensor installed, and a map from a TT Supra or similar to start tuning with. I dont understand how the car is even running with a VKF map installed, unless your car is a fluke, does it have a silver VKF meter or black round hotwire meter?

Thanks

·
SupraForums Manufacturer/Tuner
1,002 Posts
Dj_Diablo said:
I spliced and soldered the air temp sensor into my stock MAF, but the reason I'm asking which setup to go with is because the ECU is expecting a certain type of signal (different for Karman Vortex vs the MAF), and when I use an AFM map, it won't idle, although my car was stock with MAF.
There should be no "splicing" involved here. Your removing the MAF meter completely from the car, and installing MAP ECU. You should be using the green AFM output wire to the ECU's pin 66.

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
8secsupra said:
There should be no "splicing" involved here. Your removing the MAF meter completely from the car, and installing MAP ECU. You should be using the green AFM output wire to the ECU's pin 66.
Ok, I must have done something wrong then.
I removed the MAF unit, but the connector (with the 5 wires) is still dangling in the engine bay. The instructions said to take the 2-pin air temp sensor and splice into the MAF harness, which is what I did.

Some updates, though.... A guy sent me his OBDII map and the car is running really nice other than some hicupps and stuttering here and there, but I'm guessing that's also because I don't have my stock two o2 sensors wired in yet (I need to extend them so they fit my downpipe).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts