Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Friend just got a 85' 5speed with 126k miles today. After it gets past normal driving rpms, wasn't driving and in the back seat but would say about 3-3,500 rpms, you can hear a low tone whistle coming from the back of the car. His dad was showing him the car a little, dumping the clutch at every light. I has having a hard time trying to hear this sound over the tires barking. At first I thought the sound was the tires spinning agian after shifts. Then I started to think it was just the way that the new stock exhaust sounded like. But something tells me it isn't. The sound reminds be of the way that exhaust whistler from that tv spot a while back, but a old man had it before him and I know he didn't put that shit on the car.

any help would be highly apresheated.

·
The anti-muppet
345 Posts
Change the differential oil, the whine is comming from the Diffy. ;)

Some have managed to get rid of the noise by replacing the oil with Redline oil.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweet thanx , had a feeling it was the differential. Just didn't think it would whistle like that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah swap out the oil and listen for the sound again. If it's still there, might be time for a rebuild.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts