Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told that odometer fraud on MKIV Supras happens all too often. Is that true? How is it possible? Does disconnecting the odometer result in also disabling the airbag? Or... is there some other shady method people are using?

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
why would you ask how to do this on a public forum do you want others to know how to do it also ??!

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think.....

I am asking because I am suspecting odometer fraud on a vehicle for sale and I would like to know if it really is that easy to do. I would like to know if it is possible and what the chances are. I do not require a step by step guide to f#cking someone. Please read the posts thouroughly.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard that it is pretty easy to do, and if it works, it is really easy to do. I know that the airbag will not be disabled. I'm not sure if there is really any way to tell of they have been clever about it. i.e. no taking it into get inspected and later changing the miles to below that....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Odo fraud

If the US Supras are the same as the Japanese market Supras then it is as easy as changing a $50 part (or even cheaper from a wrecked Supra with low kms). Takes 10 minutes max and you will NEVER know. I know because I found this out by accident when I was doing some work on the car.
Andrei

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Think.....

vande17941 said:
I am asking because I am suspecting odometer fraud on a vehicle for sale and I would like to know if it really is that easy to do. I would like to know if it is possible and what the chances are. I do not require a step by step guide to f#cking someone. Please read the posts thouroughly.
Well the answer is yes for the first part. And what makes you think odometer fraud? Only way is a Vin check(carfax works great) and that will tell you everything.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Re: Re: Think.....

1SLOWSupra said:

Well the answer is yes for the first part. And what makes you think odometer fraud? Only way is a Vin check(carfax works great) and that will tell you everything.
The Carfax VIN check will not tell you everything if the owner(s) was clever about the way they cheated.

When paying a big premium for a very low mile car you need to look at the overall condition of the car, is it still on the original rubber, does the owner have a fleet of cars large enough that you can believe the one you want to buy was driven XXXX miles per year, can the owner provide reciepts for service with the miles on them, can you go to the dealer/shop that serviced the car and verify mileage?

There sure are a lot of very low mile Supras turning up lately, whether it is due to prices being high enough that people want to cash in, or outright fraud is hard to say.

IMO, be very careful and somewhat skeptical about mileage claims.

·
10,459 Posts
vande17941
before you get all upset and start to bitch and telling me off !

the reson why i said what i said was well look at the post above now some people have a clue on what to do and now they know its easy to do ..thanks for helping spread this ! to add it would have been a little simpler to ask some one to pm you and explain this to you !i have nothing against you but i just did not want to help spread deception and this info !

but now some people will know its easy to do!

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Let's not forget that the ECU stores the True Milage even if you can disable the odometer. A good visual and mechanical inspection and a Carfax report are about as good as you're going to get. Pay attention to wear on the seat, AC and radio controls etc. And of course checking the story of the seller always helps.

When I bought my Supra from an auto wholesaler, I picked my car up and later that day found an oil change tag from 2 years prior and the car only had 1500 more miles. I knew that the wholesaler hadn't altered it, because the miles read similar on the pink slip, but I wasn't sure about the original owner.

I knew that it had been owned by the owner of RS Akimoto, but later that day I found out that he had had a stroke about 2 years prior and now needed a driver. The car had been pretty much sitting for the prior 2 years. So it was all good. :D

Anyone who disables their Odometer on a Supra should taken out and shot... :ak:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Chip,

Your located in Barstow, CA? Is that close to Bishop, CA in the Long Valley Caldera?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ECU Store Mileage?

So.... what does that mean? If the odometer is disconnected, is there some way to pull the true mileage out of the ECU? How come the ECU can't just be cleared?:eek:

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
carcnoid said:
Hey Chip,

Your located in Barstow, CA? Is that close to Bishop, CA in the Long Valley Caldera?
Jon,

Bishop is about 200 miles North of me. Barstow is right off Rt. 15 in the Mojave Desert.

·
Registered
346 Posts
So what do we do to check if our mileage is true? I hope this will eliminate or put out of business those Fu!*@#* who are doing it. :mad:

·
10,459 Posts
Re: ECU Store Mileage?

ecu can be cleared just take a battery and short out the whole ecu go ahead try it it works !
vande17941 said:
So.... what does that mean? If the odometer is disconnected, is there some way to pull the true mileage out of the ECU? How come the ECU can't just be cleared?:eek:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's what I thought

It is just too easy. If a person doesn't mind driving around with the airbag light on, then the car's racking up miles with absolutely no proof. Even if the ECU does store it, disconnecting the battery or pulling the fuse clears that. I guess it doesn't really matter, though, because theives always find a way of doing something shady.

·
Registered
922 Posts
You should be able to look at the car and tell. Driver's seat and carpet. Undercarriage, radiator, intercooler probably would be dead give aways. Also look at the owner is he an older professional (older as in late forties or fifies). Most people can't afford to have a 40K+ car just sitting in the garage for 4-8 years.

Also service records should be available on a low mileage car.

I would be checking any low mileage supra very carefully.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fuck man..... this is one of the worst things anyone could do. It really sucks to get cheated.... I don't know what i would do if i caught someone trying to sell me a car that he purposefully committed odometer fraud on. :mad: I don't even want to think about it. People should know better than to fuck with SERIOUS car buffs about cars. I know there are some people that would kill someone if they caught them vandalizing their car.

·
Registered
639 Posts
All I can Say IS.....

All I can say is what comes around goes around!! My 94TT has complete NEW interior and excellent condition exterior so it could pass for less than the 90K+ miles on the odometer, BUT I would choose to take the honest route because stuff like that will ALWAYS catch up with you in the end!! You might think your car is worth a little more with lower miles but one day you're out driving and "POOF!", the turbo(s) lock up or something happens!! Do the RIGHT thing and remember that you would not want to find your 'dream' Supra and only to get it home and it have 125K miles instead of the 25K miles shown on the odometer!

Do unto others as you would have done to you!!!!

That's just my SOAPBOX and I am sure someone will chime in with smart cracks but you ALL know this is TRUE!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts