Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I'm ill, not sick
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently disassembled a GTE engine (6 spun bearings-wow!). Must have been a really bad tune or some other serious detonation issue (not my map).

I measured the pistons, and according to all year 2JZ-GTE service manuals, they are larger (diameter) than the GTE piston should be. The funny thing is that they all fall into the small end of range for the 2JZ-GE piston. Could someone have used N/A pistons in a GTE block? Is this possible. The measurements I took are listed below:

1. 3.3835
2. 3.3834
3. 3.3833
4. 3.3835
4. 3.3833
6. 3.3833

The limits for the GTE pistons are 3.3826-3.3830
The limits for the GE pistons are 3.3833-3.3837

I called Toyota and they don't think an oversized OE piston is available. All they have is part numbers. The Toyota I use does not know supras that well.

Does anyone some insite to share regarding this situation?

TIA!

·
I'm ill, not sick
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Uh? . . . Anyone?

Could this be a newer shortblock that a lot of people have had problems with bearings? I'm gonna inspect the oil passages.

·
OCC
897 Posts
When was the last time your micrometer was calibrated? Keep in mind that mics are temperature sensitive as well... or example, if you hold it too long, it'll get warm and change readings. Also, did you measure the piston skirts at the specified locations?

·
I'm ill, not sick
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SupraTuRD said:
When was the last time your micrometer was calibrated? Keep in mind that mics are temperature sensitive as well... or example, if you hold it too long, it'll get warm and change readings. Also, did you measure the piston skirts at the specified locations?
Actually, my machinist measured the pistons and delivered me the results. He's been building great engines for years. I'll double check w/ him. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts