Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I tried searching but as it seems with half the searches on here all I got was a blank white page.

I just picked up my 94 6 speed Supra a couple weeks ago, and I'm wanting to know what type of alarm it came with stock (the previous owner only had one regular key). From what I could find they all came with an alarm, but did they all come with keyless entry or was that an option?

I was thinking of having a nice aftermarket alarm installed, but no one ever pays attention to those anyways it seems and what I'm really wanting at a minimum is keyless entry. How do I know if my car has this, and if so what are the costs to get a new keyfob?

Thanks guys!

-Aaron

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
The Supra's did not come with a keyless entry option. The factory alarm is a forced entry only (only if the door is opened) with starter kill. If someone wanted to take a baseball bat to every inch of your car, the factory alarm wouldn't sound untill they opened the door.

People DO pay attention to aftermarket alarms - especially thieves. I would reccomend at least doing an entry level clifford with keyless entry. Shouldnt cost more than $250 with labor and all.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
my 1995 supra had keyless entry on a factory alarm~

I got a new a new keyfob for free. Ijust asked if the could reprogram one of their coutless keyfobs that didnt go with a car so i could keyless entry.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
minguezCD said:
The Supra's did not come with a keyless entry option. The factory alarm is a forced entry only (only if the door is opened) with starter kill. If someone wanted to take a baseball bat to every inch of your car, the factory alarm wouldn't sound untill they opened the door.

People DO pay attention to aftermarket alarms - especially thieves. I would reccomend at least doing an entry level clifford with keyless entry. Shouldnt cost more than $250 with labor and all.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the info...good to know that it wasn't standard. From what I could find from mkiv.com it seems that it was however at least an option. Do you know how to tell if it was?

Otherwise I'll still end up doing an aftermarket alarm, my hesitation comes from the fact that I've had two cars that each had great alarms that were professionally installed and people still managed to break into them and steal the stereo. One of them was in the middle of a busy parking lot in front of a Circuit City (alarm had gone off but no one ever did anything about it...noticed when I got back to my car half an hour later). The other was in my driveway at about 3am. It did wake me up but by the time I ran outside they were already gone and so was my Alpine deck.

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,519 Posts
minguezCD said:
The Supra's did not come with a keyless entry option.
Um...ok :scratch:

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
Raretoy said:
Um...ok :scratch:
If they did..its new to me...ive had 2 MKIV's - 96 and 94 and have several come through my shop and i have never seen one with a factory keyless entry from toyota. I have seen customers that THOUGHT they had a factory keyless option when in fact an aftermarket company installed it because the dealer asked them to.

If it was an option, i apologize for the mistake

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
minguezCD said:
If they did..its new to me...ive had 2 MKIV's - 96 and 94 and have several come through my shop and i have never seen one with a factory keyless entry from toyota. I have seen customers that THOUGHT they had a factory keyless option when in fact an aftermarket company installed it because the dealer asked them to.

If it was an option, i apologize for the mistake
This is what spurred me to think that it was an option...http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/keyless_entry/keyless_entry_manual/index.html

However, in trying to see where the alarm ecu was to determine if my car has it or not, it just states that "location may vary depending on which Toyota model you have" type of thing.

Anyone else know about this?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Some of them have them and some of them dont. It was an option. I have worked on a couple mkivs ie Jerrys and Kwans that had these on them. There is no real way to tell wheither or not the previous owner had it installed or not. I can get you into a two way paging system or a simple alarm, whatever you like. Alarms are not a sure fire thing but believe me people do pay attention to them and they are a theft deterant. Also believe me that if someone tried to get the deck out of your mkiv all they would do is jack up the dash.

If you come up to the meet on saturday i can go over some options with you, my shop will be opening in a couple of weeks and i can get you hooked up with something for a good price.

- Richard

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
WoW. :wtf:

Let me straighten you guys out.

u2ez to answer your questions..... If your car has a Toyota installed keyless entry you will find the ECU for the alarm under the drivers seat. it is about 1.2 inches thick by 4in. by 6.5 inch (it will be the only thing under the drivers seat) If it is there, go to Toyota and order a new key fob. Also if this is the case contact me later and I'll tell you how to program the new key fob if you cant find the info, which is all over the place.

The Toyota alarm also does have a glass breakage sensor. It just happens to be missing on alot of them. I'm not gonna explain this one, but some have it and some are missing it. How well it works? I don't know cause I've never tested it.

The Keyless option as far as I remember was a Port installed or dealer installed option.

You will not be able to add the factory keyless in your car anymore. The wiring harness is not available. If you are really lucky, you might find one in a junk yard, or someone selling one.

You also can no longer get the original key fob, you can only get the gay looking updated one.

u2ez, One more thing, if you've had 2 cars broken into and the alarm didnt do S#!T I say forget having someone add a large plate of spaghetti under your dash and just go with the cheaper appetizer spaghetti (meaning aftermarket keyless only).

Ishii

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Richard,

Thanks for the info, I'll be there tomorrow so we'll have to talk...also want to take a look at those wheels.

Ishii,

Thanks for the info as well, I'll look under the seat to see if it has it or not...if I do go aftermarket I'm not going to get anything crazy. Both the times the alarm went off and both times it didn't stop the person from taking the stereo or get them caught. But I do want something...at least the keyless option. Feels kind of lame walking up to a car that stickered for over $40k with a friend or my wife and having to have them wait until I unlock my door, open it up and unlock the other door before they can get in.

Thanks again guys!

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
u2ez said:
Feels kind of lame walking up to a car that stickered for over $40k with a friend or my wife and having to have them wait until I unlock my door, open it up and unlock the other door before they can get in.

Try turning the key twice to the unlock position. That will save you from some of your Lame feeling.

Ishii

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ishii said:
Try turning the key twice to the unlock position. That will save you from some of your Lame feeling.

Ishii
Thanks for the tip...never knew about that! I'd still like to be able to just unlock it while I'm still 10 feet away though...don't know why but not having keyless just bothers me.

And I did feel around under the seat...there's a little bit of a lump under the carpet but I'm guessing that's probably the power seat motor...?

·
Banned
888 Posts
minguezCD said:

Hope this helps
that is actually a great idea, at least you'll have something that works pretty good for the money that you are spending.

·
Banned
888 Posts
well another thing is that the alarm will sound if you put major pressure on the hood. Like if someone jumped on the hood. My alarm sounded when my cousin fell on my hood.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts