Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Something I've been working with PHR on. OEM fan equipped IS300/GS300 models don't seem to have the issues we have with our supras when we step into the world of electric cooling fans. OEM fans for the IS300 are 13.5" in diameter each and have very powerful motors.

These fans are designed to run in series when in low speed and parallel in high speed. In the 5 years I've been with Lexus I've yet to see any of these fans ever fail. Unlike the MKIV supra fan where the shroud breaks in multiple locations, the IS300 fan shroud is fairly compact and much more durable.

Another huge benefit is the integration of a cooling system resevoir in the fan shroud assembly.

I installed the fans using some custom brackets to avoid modding the Fluidyne radiator or the IS300 fan shroud. I'm planning on testing this out to see how well it performs during the Texas summer heat.

Anyways pictures say more than enough.

OEM IS300 fans assembly with the integrated coolant resevoir. (note: I don't have the blades yet)

OEM MKIV radiator with large by huge and heavy by ugly shroud assembly.

OEM MKIV radiator with OEM IS300 fan assembly which should've come with the car from factory.

As you can see, the fans are not going to bolt on there so you'll have to get a little creative.

Integrated cooling system resevoir FTW!!

Top driver's side radiator bracket

Top passenger's side bracket

Lower bracket
[/quote]

·
Boost Junkie
12,455 Posts
.....good luck....

Steve K.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Hmm very interesting.

Joe, do you have a water temp gauge installed on the testing car? I assume you would so you can provide some empirical data. I admit I am part of the anti-electric fan crowd, however I am curious to see the results and outcome of this set up.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Hmm very interesting.

Joe, do you have a water temp gauge installed on the testing car? I assume you would so you can provide some empirical data. I admit I am part of the anti-electric fan crowd, however I am curious to see the results and outcome of this set up.
We will monitor the 2 fans to see the exact read out to give you a good idea of the difference at idle and under a load.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm very interesting.

The vehicle that will be tested is a stock body equipped MKIV. It has a 3 row front mount. It was an NA vehicle but has a J-spec turbo engine swap in it. The vehicle has an upgraded fuel system along with US turbos on it. The fuel delivery duties are controlled via the Greddy e-manage ultimate with the HKS a/f knock amp wideband feedback into it. In addition to the fans are controlled via the HKS fan controller. The HKS fan controller has 2 seperate outputs on it for duel fan control. I have 3 relays wired in to run the system in series mode in low speed and parallel mode in high speed. Since the NA vehicle doesn't have a fan temp sensor on it. I installed an additional temp sensor for the HKS fan controller on the radiator here. The HKS fan controller uses the OEM engine coolant temp sensor (ECT sensor) for engine temp measuring so you don't have to install new sensors.

The issue I have currently is the OEM sensor's curve doesn't match the HKS fan controller's display. I have access to the OEM scan tool and have inspected the ECT sensor voltage and temp and is correct with the physical temp of the sensor. But the HKS fan controller doesn't display the correct sensor temp. I have the setup correct and I'm sharing power and ground from the engine ecu so there shouldn't be a ground isolation difference. I'll be posting my findings as I inspect stuff thru out this week and next week.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Toyota/Lexus did a great job with the is300 fan setup.

The oem supra radiator looks similar to the IS300 one... as in the prongs that sit down into the chassis look to be in the same spot. Now whether or not its the same height I am not sure but...

An idea would be to go with an OEM replacement IS300 Koyo Radiator, that way you could not worry about having to custom mount the OEM is300 fans.

I am on the stock is300 system with my GTE motor and my temps never exceed 195 degrees. It hit 200 on a 95 degree day playing with a friend in his evo. I run a 50/50 coolant mix and two bottles of Redline watter wetter. I have a GTE water pump and GTE thermostat. The good thing is my fans run off the is300 ecu so I dont have another computer chip controlling it.

Again, just an idea.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Very good idea!

4Door, that would be awesome if that works. Maybe someone can take deminsions?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
What would be the price of the fan assembly?
Probably without the fluidyne around $800-900 new unless you can find it used. Also for to fit you would need to modify the fluidyne or make brackets which we are going to do.

Im going to try and sell the Fan and Fluidyne package modified and ready to drop in.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Don't know about the PWR radiator.

It should very well fit w/o much if any changes. There is a lot of room on the MKIV to fit the IS300 fan shroud. I think the assembly may need slightly thicker foam to seal the core onto the shroud which could be purchased from the local Home improvement store.

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
Nice, looking good Joe.
Always full of ideas.

·
Lexotic Garage
1,470 Posts
Good luck bro.... I posed this idea and was laughed ata few weeks ago. :) You could always just buy an IS300 radiator (if you are upgrading) and just bolt the IS300 fan setup to the new IS300 rad. its much easier to fit an IS300 radiator into a Supra (drop in I think) than to fit the IS300 fans onto a supra radiator.

Im glad to see something is taking the initiative to bring this car into the next meillenium of cooling technology.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
so with the is300 fan, there's a separate coolant reservoir?

·
6Spd TT Aerotop
3,620 Posts
So is this much louder and something you can hear all the time like most electric fan conversions?

1 - 20 of 132 Posts