Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
From the land down under
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Last week I was lucky enough to be given a factory subwoofer enclosure for my car by another member on these forums (thanks C1)

The voice coil on the cone is siezed solid so I need to look into replacing the cone. I know that very few JDM models came with the sub from factory so Im finding it hard to get any info down here at the bottom of the world. But I was hoping that some US members had done the same thing in the past and had some info on what cone they replaced it with.

Its a 5x7" cone and whilst I have seen many cones of that size for sale, they are all loud speakers with full range rather than a dedicated sub woofer cone.

I dont have the factory amp either so Im going to have to get creative with my headunit to run it as I dont want the extra weight of a big amp.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
you know what, let me look this week and see if mine is still in good shape and if it is, ill ship it to you for free, just pay me for the shipping.......to the bottom of the world !!!

·
From the land down under
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there :)

Thanks alot for the kind offer, I really appreciate it, but I was really keen to replace the cone with something that wasnt made around 15 years ago. The factory cone is only rated to 25watts so its not quite up to the task of being balanced with the rest of the set up.

I was hoping for a tougher polyprop or similar cone with butyl sourrounds to avoid it deteriorating over time, and also having a tighter sound as most old speakers are a bit "flappy" after years of use. Not too mention that speaker design in general has come along way in the past 15 years so hopefully I can find one that works well with the volume of the factory enclosure.

Does anyone know off hand what the volume of the sub box is? Its quite hard to guestimate given the maze of baffles it uses.

Thanks very much mate :)

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
sure man, if you change your mind, let me know. is it hard to find 5x7 speakers where you are? they are readily available here in the states. i can help you find those as well if you need help.

·
From the land down under
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not too hard to find 5x7" speakers as such, its just hard to find one that has been manufactured as a dedicated sub woofer. All the ones I can find locally, or anywhere for that matter, are full range loud speaker wich is never going to reproduce the same quality bass as a cone purposely built for that purpose.

I realise I can simply run a LPF to one of them to avoid the high frequencys being reproduced, but I know this is far from ideal.

Maybe I should stop being so fussy, given that Im not after huge bass, and to simply man up and buy a full range unit and see how it sounds on 80hz and under.

Again I thank you for your help sir.

P.S Does anyone on here know of someone who has refurbished their own OEM sub with a new cone? If so could you please tell me what was used and what the results were like?

Cheers all :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you are looking for a 5x7 poly cone/rubber surround, Tang Band has an option. Price is also attractive, however the ports on the factory enclosure will require modifying mounting face of the driver for it to fit. To boot the mounting depth is also an issue - factory enclosure only gives you 2.25" depth and the TB driver is a bit short of 3" so it would seem to require a spacer/adapter plate. Perfect fit, no. Potentially viable option - maybe. For the price it is worth ordering and making/taking a shot in the dark to see if you can make it work. For size reference -

·
From the land down under
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that link and the pic you provided. I will make some enquirys to see how much freight will be to ship it down here.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
565 Posts

·
From the land down under
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm these JL's seem like a great option but what a waste to toss the crossovers, tweeters, and 1 woofer aside... LOL... ugh it's so hard to find a factory subwoofer (not full range) solution w/o being wasteful or finding a product that fits.
You hit the nail on the head my friend. Its a very difficult task indeed.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hmm these JL's seem like a great option but what a waste to toss the crossovers, tweeters, and 1 woofer aside... LOL... ugh it's so hard to find a factory subwoofer (not full range) solution w/o being wasteful or finding a product that fits.
Wasteful? The suggestion/link that was provided is for the woofer alone, not a full component set.

·
***** White Lover
503 Posts
I believe they are referring to buying a component set and only using a single woofer out of the entire set. I think your option of the 5x7 woofer alone is better than buying components and only using 1 speaker from the set.

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Registered
4,951 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Wasteful? The suggestion/link that was provided is for the woofer alone, not a full component set.
My bad... I'm out of the country on business and the damn government has Crutchfield blocked in China (I think... I can't access it) so I went on JL's site to see what the C5 set was and could only find entire component sets and not just the woofer.

Does anyone know what impedance this woofer is rated at? The entire c5-570 component set is rated at 4ohms... I am crossing my fingers for 2ohms as my Pioneer Z120BT should provide enough juice for the woofer if so (how stupid would it be to buy a separate amplifier to drive 1 single 75rms channel? -_-)

·
From the land down under
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the link!

hmm 160 bucks for 5x7 sub..
Yes its well out of my price range but I thought I had still better thank them for the info.

I just want some bass, not to build a fierce system as I hardly use the stereo when Im driving anyway.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Does anyone know what impedance this woofer is rated at? The entire c5-570 component set is rated at 4ohms... I am crossing my fingers for 2ohms as my Pioneer Z120BT should provide enough juice for the woofer if so (how stupid would it be to buy a separate amplifier to drive 1 single 75rms channel? -_-)
It is four ohms. Regardless, relying on two fourteen watt channels bridged to drive your sub has its inherent limitations, but who knows... That said, you can pick up a relatively inexpensive monoblock and the TB for the roughly the same amount as the C5-570W.

·
From the land down under
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also have a relatively high specced pioneer head unit with the the ability to run the sub off the rear channels, and I plan on experimenting with how efficiently it will run the sub before considering buying an external amp. As you say, its only 14 wrms a side but 28rms to a smallish cone in a well designed enclosure might just sound ok. Fingers crossed eh ;)

Weight is a bit of a consideration too so if I can avoid adding another couple of kgs, then Ill be even happier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts