Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the biggest difference between a replica and OEM body kit? Are there any quality tradeoffs with a replica?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I'd like to know as well. I am looking to get a carbon TRD-style hood, but don't know who makes a quality one. A buddy of mine is getting a do-luck knockoff installed and it seems his is fine. But I hear this is not the norm

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
Nothing fits as good as OEM toyota panels. Absolutely nothing. The factory had engineered every panel to precise fit and finish. The urethane on bumpers is not only there for 5 mph crash protection but also for minimal damage from rock chip protection. Going aftermarket (inc. TRD) would make you switch almost every panel to composite (fiberglass,carbon fiber,kevlar,etc.) which in most cases is not repairable (at least not to my satisfaction).

My $0.02

Joe.

K

·
0 Posts
My body kit are mostly replicas.
Me and couple of my friends bought about more than 4-5 times replicas kit cheaper and I dont have any problem at all.
Bought from different place: vic and streetconcept.com (they have do-luck good stuff)

On time I bought bomex front end (original) fit the same as the replica.
So why should I pay $500-600 dollars more for original.....I can buy new clucth with that money :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I will tell you why you should go original. First of all, When you have a body kit, your going to get "Body Flex" when driving the car, therefore you need a very flexible material that makes up your body kit. I have seen replica body kit's go bad after a couple thousand miles because of "body flex", the paint ends up cracking aka *spider web* and the paint starts to chip. Also, the body kit will flex and won't be proportioned with the car properly. I know Original Veilside Body kits can be bent like a twizzler! Therefore the paint won't crack, it will stay flush with the car, and if you get it molded, which most people do, the results are Phenomenal. It also all depends how much you drive the car, weather conditions, etc. Personally, I like the best for my car.

Just my $0.02

G

·
0 Posts
They have this auto shop up in orange county. Has a bunch of body kits on display. If you go up and touch the expensive versus the cheap one. You can feel the difference. The good one is like twice as thick.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I ordered the TRD replica from MVP and I was very impressed with it's quality, very thick and smooth edges.

I had gone over the options of buying the original or replica and decided on the replica for three reasons.

1: Its half as much
2: It only took a week to get instead of 3 months
3: What if you ever crack a fender or get in an accident? Do you want to wait months for a new fender or front end, or have it within a week?

If I had the extra money(4k more!), and my car was going to be down for 4+ months anyway I might have ordered the original TRD but it was the beginning of summer and I'm in the process of a single turbo install, the money I saved on the body kit is a complete fuel system + much more already so I think I made the right choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts