Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
The Wilwood Brakes Dude
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep I made to the Z car show with my newly re motored 240 Z (I put a 7MGTE with a 60-1 and a huge intercooler lex afm and stock injectors @10 psi) this car makes between 350 and 370 rwhp by my estimates and everyone that has been for a ride says thats conservative. Some people think it should be in the 11's.

I have been going for like 3 weeks with less than 5 hours of sleep every night to get this finished in time for this West Coast National Z car event in Orange, CA. My friend Clifton kept saying "Ill show you the photos when I get back". but he did come over and spend countless hours helping even when he thought I wouldnt make it. THANKS CLIFTON. I will send you the list if you want to see all the stuff I had to do to make it in time but here is the story.

Tuesday it passed emissions with flying colors 40 minutes after I put it on its wheels for the first time I 10 years. Wednesday I raced it to DMV and got plates it also had not been registered in AZ in more than 14 years and I was worried I would get a hastle. No problems at the DVM (Whew) now I was legal, Clifton gave me some needed parts like a rear hatch key and something else I cant remember. He and his wife left a day earlier that us to they could do Magic Mountain.

I raced around Thursday and Friday and finished a 4 wheel alignment, and adjusted the ride height, Installed the rear hatch seal, installed the rear window seal, interior install, bolting the seats down, plumbing all the A/C supply and return lines, installing a new heater fan blower motor, wiring the diode for the radiator fan for the A/C there was so much to do I cant even remember it all but the only thing I didn't get done that I wanted to was the Alarm and the power run to the drivers seats so I would have inflatable lumbar support for the drive, but the seats were comfortable enough. I got the A/C charged by Friday afternoon and installed the car stereo while they were doing it ghetto style.

We raced to drop off the kids and got on the road at 7:00 pm. The car ran perfect, this was the first time Tracey had ever been for a ride in it and we were leaving that minute for California. I got on the freeway and got into the throttle pretty hard and Tracey was shocked, it is very fast. I was shocked the first time too, it is very fast maybe 350-375 hp estimate. We got right off the freeway and I got a cheep car stereo antenna at walmart and we got back on. Some kids in a 240SX were zipin in and out of traffic and I chased them down and showed them who's boss, I gave em a big smile and they gave me a thumbs up and got off at their exit. Its real fun on the freeway it just drops anybody (except my friend Clifton). When I was "ON" it showing the 240sx "up" I heard it knocking (detonation) from bad gas, bummer. I got some bad gas which should have been enough to keep me mellow but it didn't.

We drove pretty easy from Mesa AZ to Quartsite AZ 40 miles from CA. I spoke with Clifton on the phone a few times and stopped for gas in Quartsite, I got Mobil super unleaded, "Excellent" now I could push it a little harder. I would squeeze it up to 100-120 between groups of cars and on particularly big gaps I would squeeze it a little harder. I did this 2 or 3 times before my wife looked at the GPS and said hey "max speed says 147 mph" (the toy tranny and the Datsun gauge were off a little) and then I got the crazy idea that I should top 150 and then I would quit. Next time I got to a good clear stretch I gently pushed it and the next set of cars was coming up fast, so I had to back it down again. I don't like to pass anybody any faster that 85-90 or so but I usually get it down to 85. There wasn't a good clean stretch until I got into California, 9:30pm and traffic was starting to thin out a bit more and and couldn't hear it knocking (detonation) as long as I took it easy on the accelerations.

I passed a lone Semi and I there wasn't a car light for as far as I could see at 4-6 miles I squeezed into it and then those very gentle curves came up on us, I havent done any high speed cornering in this car with the new suspension and tires and didn't want to push those limits with anyone in the car at all. Either way 120 seemed plenty fast for those corners, it straigened out for a while but then there was a solid bunch of car in the on coming lane and I took it easy till I could see no lights again. Then I got on it again this time we saw 148 we slowed it down again and I got a call from Clifton he seemed shocked that I saw 148 and I didn't say anything about trying to hit the 150 mark but he gave me a few details on how to get to the hotel and the road cleared out again. Tracey seemed kinda stressed but I reassured her it will be fine and she watched the GPS (kinda) and I squeezed it up again.

By this time the head wind was getting pretty bad a few times I could feel the car getting buffeted from side to side but for the most part it was a straight head wind. There was nobody on the road in either direction and it was real loud inside the car and the front end started to get light I decided to forgo trying to stay in one lane and just got in the middle everything seemed to be going fine and them Tracey said "What's that smell?" the whole cabin filled with smoke I backed out of the throttle right away and and Tracey slid forward so I could reach the fire extinguisher, we rolled down the windows we watched the guages and they all seemed fine. We passed a semi (75-85 mph or so) I looked in the rear view mirror and we musta looked like a James Bond car with the smoke screen button pushed, but I didn't want to stop till we had light. In my haste I forgot to pack a flash light.

Chiraco exit was coming up in about a mile or so I pulled off the freeway and rounded the corner and all of a sudden the temp guage read like 275 and seemed to be climbing. I blipped the throttle and killed the engine but left the engine fan on and coasted into the light of the gas station. Oil was everywhere under the hood (I never hooked my crank case blow by up just left it vented to atmosphere)and seemed to be coming from the front cover. I pulled the plastic front cover and it was dry, I looked for the source, and after a little stress (mental-emotional) found it to be coming from the crank case ventalition. It had, had enought pressure to blow it forward up on to the back of the timing belt cover and then up on to the under side of the hood) Bad but not as bad as it could have been. I put the proper oil back in it and went to start it, "CLICK" the battery seemed to be dead or maybe I smoked a bearing or two (crank, cam, who knows?) now I was really bummed and Tracey was livid, and rightly so.

I had to go to the bathroom and Tracey found us someone to give us a jump start, I filled the radiator and topped off the oil and it just barely started but it seemed to run fine I watched the oil pressure and it seemed to be pretty slugish but I hadnt had the car running long enough to know if this was normal (damn old datsun gauges). The guy Tracey happened upon was a professional race engine builder that had worked for Honda, TRD numerous others and Suzuki currently, Anthony Chavez (wonderful guy). After a few minutes of running and looking around he had me convinced it was good enough to make it to CA and he was right. We got back on the freeway and our eyes were just about dried out from watching the guages. We made it with out incident. But I was sure I had done dammage, just not sure how much.

The next day we went to the Z swap meet that was at the show location people swarmed over to my and Clifton's cars, in no time both of our hoods were up. All the oil (and the toyota motor) not withstanding people were still real impressed with our suspension, tire/wheel, and engine setups. I needed to get a new battery and had to add water every time I started the car, but it ran fine. After looking for a car Dolly or a Uhaul car hauler to get the car back all options proved to be more than $900 we decided it would be best to have me fly home ($100) and get our truck and borrow a trailer and tow it home. I completely missed the Car show two of my friends won 2 firsts and 1 second, including Clifton who won best modified, (that with a toy motor in a nissan only show) he displayed his 533 HP Dyno sheet in the window. It was sheer torture to watch my three other friends in their Z's zip thru traffic like bumble bees while I had to struggle to maintain 85mph while towing all the way home. I will let you know when its running again, shouldn't be long.

Yea yea yea I know I shouldnt have pushed it so soon, but if I had listened to everyone that had told me I couldnt do this and that my whole life......

Live and learn. please comment on that BHG post from me if you have constructive comments. Feel free to flame if its all in good humor, I can take it.

I will post photos shortly.

AZ

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
lol yeah, i want to see some pics, of the engine too. that sucks so much, well, atleast you made it there safely.

·
The Wilwood Brakes Dude
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thats a 24x12x4 inch IC with 3 inch in and out all the way. The black one is mine the orange one is the 533hp one of Cliftons
[/URL][/IMG]

I dont have many shots of it finished

Heres more while in progress.

3 inch Stainless full length, yes its loud, but not at idle

More later

·
The Wilwood Brakes Dude
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Inline 6, Rwd, independent suspension, rack and pinion steering, light weight, fun to drive, what's not to like!!! They just always needed a little more power, like say 3X more power. Now its perfect, sept the BGH!!! Ist aight ill fix it.

ME TOO.

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
Nice!!, my 280 still has the L28. When it gets tired, I'll probably do the same and will bug you ;)

3,796 Posts
Nice write up. What all have you done to the suspension?

·
2,275 Posts
Sexy 240! Cant wait to see it at one of the meets ;) take care and good luck with the bhg swap and next time follow the break in procedure hehe....

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
heh, owned by BHG. So I assume you didnt use a MHG? Welcome to the MKIII section of Supraforums.com! You should fit in just fine.

~scott

·
Registered
191 Posts
if i remember you correctly you came into my work and started talking about your car. i work at napa auto parts in gilbert. after all the stuff you were insisting on knowing about the 7m i would assume u knew about the hg problem :p ive done about 14 of those jobs on 14 dif supras, your car is bad ass tho. i like the way it looks and the nice motor you got in it :-D toyota powa. anyways, good luck with the HG go metal and make sure everything is clean. hopefully you will get your car up to cliftons setup that would be pretty sweet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
great write up man, thats a nice whip.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Very nice.. I love the idea of putting a 7M in a light weight car with a timeless body.

·
The Wilwood Brakes Dude
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote from Skyline66 "after all the stuff you were insisting on knowing about the 7m i would assume u knew about the hg problem "

Yea I knew about that weakness but hell I only had 9-10 psi to it. In retorspect 10, (60-1 w/ a big IC) psi is way different that 10 (ct26 w/ a stock IC) psi. I already have the 2mm MHG and ARP head studs in the garage, ordered them more than a month ago. Now Im just crossing my fingers that I dont need a new block from ring damage. I am already resigned to the fact that I might need all new pistons and rings but im crossing my fingers.

Didnt get the head off last night but got close. I will have it off tonight,

Skyline66 hell why dont you come on over and get your fingernails dirty.

PM me, I will be working on it till 9:00pm tonight.

AZ

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
How hard is this swap? I hope to do a 7m>mk2 swap next spring but this would be just as cool...

3,796 Posts
Silver88Turbo said:
What all have you done to the suspension?
:dunno:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts