Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Southern MD Stig
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, all i can say is it was a GORGEOUS day as expected and we had a decent turnout of quality cars... thank you Ahmad for organizing this rental on such short notice and everyone whom showed up...:bigthumb:

After a few 'shakedown' runs to get a feel for the track and my entirely new set-up, I put up a [email protected] on my first ever full pass...30mins later, after turning up the boost a lil bit I put up a [email protected]+ MPH w/ a 1.57 60ft ;)

And finally, I said, enough bullshitting and playing around... time for a solid 9 @ over 140 MPH on the next run... raised the boost again, raised the redline by 500rpm to 7800, and advanced the timing a full degree...

FINAL RUN...

On the line she shot outta the hole a lot stronger than either of the last passes (the front end litteraly felt like it was leaving the ground lol), and it pulled A LOT stronger thru 1st and 2nd gear, the tune was now making what felt like 70HP more than the previous run...well, the was enough to blow the rear tires right off at the top of 2nd going into 3rd (which on an auto is about 115mph right at the 1/8th for me)...the car violently snap spun to the left with nose pointing perfectly sideways toward the right wall* Immediately locked up all fours to prevent it from slingshotting into the wall, (this was at 110+mph btw) it then spun all the way around with the rear end heading toward the wall...i released the brakes at specific times during the rotations to keep the car sliding toward the center of the track (which was quite difficult at those speeds and with how voilently it was spinning back and forth) I one point it was literally sliding backwards at over 100mph! I remember thinking, "shit, this is not good K!" lol... I finally gathered it back up after sliding about half the lenght of the track on the big end without a scratch on me or the car... and i said to myself, "umm, its safe to say thats a wrap for today..." :nervous: lol.

Looks like I'll have to wait for our full track rental on the 23rd for multiple 9-sec passes...being the track will be VHT'ed all the way to the 1/8th which would of prevented what occured on my last pass...:eek:

Blackbenzz, (CLK55 AMG) better'd his best MPH with consistent 125.5's, and he did several 11.0 passes...at one point an 11.008... I know he's pulling his hair out over that one. He's a simple tune away from a pump gas 10's as his transmission shift points where the only limiting factor keep him from a 10.9 on several of the runs. But no broken axles so :bigthumb:

Matt, (LS1 Camaro SS) was consistantly running about a tenth or two better than his own personal best with his new wheel/tire set-up until chris (his brother) got behind the wheel and he broke his torque converter / possibly rear end at the line. I do think his transmission is fine thou... (get with me for ur tranny work matt)

There was also a new Shelby, GT500 Mustang with an upgraded blower running 19lbs of boost with all the assortment of support mods running 11.0's ~130mph. And "Ranger's" nemisis who hold's the world record for 1/4 mile in the stock C6 Z06 on *drag radials* which was doing 10.9'[email protected]+mph on this day... :)

An auto DSM was pulling off 11.6's @ 120+mph in a total sleeper set-up as well :D

Roliks, yes, my custom toyota auto held and came off the line like it was shot out of a canon, get with me if you want one and the details...

SEE YOU GUYS ON MARCH 23RD!! Our next trach rental this month... :)

~ Kayvon

·
Cam Only for now......
631 Posts
Matt, (LS1 Camaro SS) was consistantly running about a tenth or two better than his own personal best with his new wheel/tire set-up until chris (his brother) got behind the wheel and he broke his torque converter / possibly rear end at the line. I do think his transmission is fine thou... (get with me for ur tranny work matt)

~ Kayvon

The rear/ 10 bolt is def done. I will be taring the car apart today, hopefully and find out what surprises lie beneath. If the trans is done it will get built, new stall 4000-4500 stall (trying for those 1.4s 60fts or better) and strange or moser 12bolt or ford 9inch. When it gets back on the road it will be better than ever.....:D

Matt

·
Banned
2,499 Posts
kayvon, glad you were able to recover from the spin out...its no joke when your out there on a tire and the car gets away from you. you never know what could happen.

btw i bet you'll be wearing these from now on to the track....possibly NWS...

Ben Y

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
HAHAHAHA. Shit i know i'd be wearing them if that happen to me! Spinning out is my biggest fear.

But congrats on the low 10's Kayvon. Work on that launch and it's all you gotta worry about. It takes a while to get use to finding out when to launch on the point just before your tires start to push fwd.

·
Southern MD Stig
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
kayvon, glad you were able to recover from the spin out...its no joke when your out there on a tire and the car gets away from you. you never know what could happen.

btw i bet you'll be wearing these from now on to the track....possibly NWS...

Ben Y
Ben, thanks bro. Totalling the MKIV on its first track outing would of knocked me out anything else for the remainder of the year. :-/ I don't wish what happened to me to anyone else, 9-sec cars are no joke as far as safely goes i found out :nervous: ...and ROFLMAO !!!!!!!!!!! Where the hell do you find this shit!?:rofl: To be quite honest, when the rear completely broke loose and snapped left at the 1/8th it all happened SO suddenly I had no time to get scared, it was all instinctive road racing/SCCA skills kicking into play... After gathering it up and rolling back into the pits is when I shit myself! Does that make sense!?? lol...:scratch:

Jrock, suprisingly there was no issue getting outta the hole. That was actually my biggest concern, how well this larger turbo get boosts off the stall. I can build as much boost as my 67DBB ever could only with 200+ more HP up top. One word Jason, Billet* ;) I calculated that at my power level all i would need is to cut at least a 1.60 60ft for solid nines at full wick. I was easily able to get 1.60 times and on the pass i nearly hit the wall three seperate times I cut a 1.54 60ft. I can easily do a 1.50 if i ran as much boost as my stall would allow. ;)

MikeS, yes I have videos of the run... but unfortunately 'my camera guy' took the camera off my car right after the spin began to watch it. I was SOOO fucking pissed! The phenomenal/miracle save was completely missed becuase he did the number 1 "DON'T DO" in filming...take the camera off the subject. You can still see the beginning of the spin and hear it...but then camera goes to the sky. :rolleyes:

It's alright Supra_404 (camera man) "I ain't mad at ya..."~ 2pac

I will post the video's as soon as someone who knows how to edit and post them can help me out... :)

~ Kayvon

...Look's like we'll have to wait till the 23rd for multiple 9's on a "toyota" tranny! ;) :D

·
Fastest Factory Auto
2,228 Posts
You're running one of those new PTE 71's arent you? What model exactly? Interested in seeing how ya do with it

·
Registered
514 Posts
Kayvan, I'm glad you and your car are okay. I was wondering if there are videos of all the runs not just your spin out.
I also have a 93.5 6 speed, 67mm and supporting mods on a stock drive train, maybe we can all have a day at Cecil, MIR is a bit to far for supras around Philly. You guys should come to supra meet at etown on April 25th, it's a great supra meet and you get to race.

Mike (Majid) ;)

·
Banned
977 Posts
Kayvon,
Shoot me the videos and I can edit/post them up.
Hit me up if you want me to do it.
-Skilor

·
Registered
266 Posts
"released the brakes at specific times during the rotations to keep the car sliding toward the center of the track"

You sure you did this? Or did you just pucker up and hold on, jerking the wheel back and forth?? lol jk
he was puckering up and holding on LOL

·
Southern MD Stig
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
"did you just pucker up and hold on, jerking...back and forth?? lol jk"
That sounds more like you after a saturday night with Peter* ...rofl:crossjerk

PS; About spinning out over 110mph, yes...at both Summit Point and Virginia International Raceway when I had my Porsche 911 Carrera and was a member in the PCA. I also have SCCA and "seat time" experience in many different cars i owned in the past. The lock-up and release technics i implemented you can only learn/practice in road racing schools and on road courses respectively. All joking aside, "Holding on and puckering up" would of netted hitting the wall HARD three separate times and a totalled car...period* ;)

MikeS, thanks for the heads up/invite... I'll see what i can do being thats right after our next full track rental on the 23rd...If me and my car are still in one piece :nervous: ...PM off the thread if you wanna know more about the details of my set-up...

Cherplex, with edicate like that you remind me of a dirty indian cat I once knew who's name rymed with "AL"....lol :chairshot

~ K

·
Registered
280 Posts
The spining out part was meant for "Dr.Duct_Mossburg".
Lol, I was joking.. But ive got severe headshake at 140 on a bike. Thats FAR more scary then spinning your 3500lb box of safety metal out at 110. Ive hit embankments at triple digits speeds. So what exactly are you getting at? spinning out at 110 would prolly be a walk in the park for my nerves.

·
Registered
280 Posts
That sounds more like you after a saturday night with Peter* ...rofl:crossjerk

PS; About spinning out over 110mph, yes...at both Summit Point and Virginia International Raceway when I had my Porsche 911 Carrera and was a member in the PCA. I also have SCCA and "seat time" experience in many different cars i owned in the past. The lock-up and release technics i implemented you can only learn/practice in road racing schools and on road courses respectively. All joking aside, "Holding on and puckering up" would of netted hitting the wall HARD three separate times and a totalled car...period* ;)

MikeS, thanks for the heads up/invite... I'll see what i can do being thats right after our next full track rental on the 23rd...If me and my car are still in one piece :nervous: ...PM off the thread if you wanna know more about the details of my set-up...

Cherplex, with edicate like that you remind me of a dirty indian cat I once knew who's name rymed with "AL"....lol :chairshot

~ K
I think Peter and I was a Sunday night,.. And he does tend to get a little gay.

But yeah it was a joke, So no need to talk about your racing past, but I really dont see what that even had to do with anything..?? lol

·
Southern MD Stig
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
...Ive hit embankments at triple digits speeds...
Come on now dude... think about what you're saying lol! For the sake of argument I'm not going to raise the BS flag here and just chalk it up to you being made of titanium... rofl..........:lol:

·
Registered
266 Posts
i wanna learn lock up and release technic LOL

1 - 20 of 33 Posts