Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Well i just bought a set of used Ohlins coilovers for the Supra. From reading the lettering on the springs, it seems that they are 16k on the fronts and 12k on the rears. Damper and height adjustable but not sure about rebound. Seems like there is an allen key on the bottom of the shock.

The story behind them is that they were removed from a Supra that had 30k miles on it so these might have less.

Let me know if you have any info or real experience. I'll clean them up and post better pics when i get them in a week.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, i messaged Chris.

I honestly cannot find much info on dampening settings or how comfortable they are on the street.

Looks like chris is the only other guy that has these. Curious if they look the same

Ryan

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Hey Ryan,

I just blew my left front Tein at the track last month... I will be looking for a set of these shortly, let me know where I can source these and how they feel in the corners:)

Thanks, i messaged Chris.

I honestly cannot find much info on dampening settings or how comfortable they are on the street.

Looks like chris is the only other guy that has these. Curious if they look the same

Ryan

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
...I honestly cannot find much info on dampening settings or how comfortable they are on the street...
If you're one of those people who like it real stiff since you "think" that's better, you'll probably like these. Here's the way it looks to me (aka Mr. Comfort) and I much prefer a soft'ish and supple but well controlled suspension to a stiff one:

IMO those are way stiffer than you need for any street application so no doubt you're compromising ride comfort by some amount. But with 16k on the fronts and 12k on the rears I would say those spring rates are not too extreme and given that Ohlins have advanced valving, I bet they are decently comfortable on the street.

Converting those Ohlins from kg/mm to lb/in. equals
896 F
672 R.

My out of the box KWv3's are:
685 F
515 R

This comment was floated out back during the KWv3 group buy when some people were questioning the low rates:

They are a lot lower than the normal rates. Due to our unique valving and approach on building coilovers. I know the normal is a lot higher spring rate. As we saw on Curtis's car, our kit made the car faster and gave a more confident feel to the car.

Also, IMO the subsequent crying about bottoming out and rubbing due to low rates was mostly from people who didn't have in the range of optimum wheel/tire fitments for a MkIV.

·
T-Power
1,624 Posts
Agreed with Nick completely. Love my KWv3.
but i'm sure those ohlins will perform well on the track. If too hard on the street you can always get some softer springs.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses guys.. I just finished installing them and i am impressed to say the least. First of all they are super light, about 3/4 of the weight compared to my old setup (Bilstein OEM shocks/Tein springs). Here is one of them after i cleaned them up.

I spent some time today adjusting the height and got it low but not too low, just right. First i had the front a lil too low as you see below...

Here is how it sits now. Raised the front a little and looks just right now.

Now regarding the ride... They seem to have around 30 damper settings. I started 14 clicks backed from the hardest side (counter-clockwise). Immediately it felt tighter then before. Car is literally glued to the road now and feels so much more connected. I could not believe how much roll my previous setup had. Then i backed it down another 4 clicks counter clockwise, so we are 20 clicks away from the hardest setting. It made such a difference, just 4 clicks. Now the car is almost as soft as it was before. Not quite but close enough to say it is comfortable in our books. The small bumps are still noticeable but once backed down slightly, the tightness was not as bad. I actually ended up going 2 clicks clockwise again and it seems to be the sweet spot for a nice ride and being very good on the off-ramps.

Next up is to take it on the road course, should be attending an event July 10th.

Over-all, great set of coilovers. Very happy with how they perform.

Ryan

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ohlins are considered one of the best. There's a lot of info on the RX-7 forums.
Yeppers. One of the top brands out there. And, best of all, Ohlins has a division in the US, so you can get your Ohlins serviced and/or rebuilt in the US; no need to ship overseas.

Unfortunately, Ohlins doesn't make their legendary Road&Track series coilovers for the Supra, at least not stateside... http://www.ohlinsusa.com/automotive-suspension-products

·
Registered
416 Posts
Those PCV Ohlins are actually a very streetable coilover and definitely a step up from any HKS Hiperdamper or V3 as far as ride quality on the street. They have been discontinued since 2008, and unfortunately Ohlins never made the more modern DFVs in a JZA80 application (although the PCVs and DFVs are very similar). Ride quality is much more about the shock than spring rates, and the PCVs have a valve-in-valve design which sucks up the very high shock shaft speed bumps. The end result is a setup with about double the stock spring rates and a ride that is barely harsher than stock. This is very unlike a lot of other Japanese coilovers I have tried over the years, which in general are pretty jarring.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those PCV Ohlins are actually a very streetable coilover and definitely a step up from any HKS Hiperdamper or V3 as far as ride quality on the street. They have been discontinued since 2008, and unfortunately Ohlins never made the more modern DFVs in a JZA80 application (although the PCVs and DFVs are very similar). Ride quality is much more about the shock than spring rates, and the PCVs have a valve-in-valve design which sucks up the very high shock shaft speed bumps. The end result is a setup with about double the stock spring rates and a ride that is barely harsher than stock. This is very unlike a lot of other Japanese coilovers I have tried over the years, which in general are pretty jarring.
Thanks for that info! I wasn't sure how old they are and seems like they may be 10 years old +. I thought of getting them rebuilt first but good I didn't cause they are still in very good shape. Maybe one day I'll send them down to Ohlins and get them rebuilt. Called them last week and a rebuild will cost $1000 but definitly doable.

I went for a long drive yesterday and ended up in city, around town and some highway runs... these coilovers are as comfortable as stock shocks, if not better. They must have some crazy valving inside cause small bumps are mostly absorbed.

For the low ride height it has, the ride is phenomenal. Funny how i turned from just wanting to push the car on a straight line to mostly corners.

Ryan

·
Registered
418 Posts
So you'd take these over the KW V3s??

·
Registered
174 Posts
I did not notice this thread earlier. I also do have this same Öhlins PCV Type HA Coilover suspension kit in my car. I bought it back in 2009. This kit does have a Eibach made 16Kg/mm front springs (200mm(length)x65mm(inner diameter)) and 12Kg/mm rear springs (also same 200mm x65mm size) with helper springs. Spring rates might sound quite stiff but this kit is absolutely amazing in use. Ride quality with this suspension is really good and adjusting the compression and rebound adjust clicker really does change the suspension character when you want to. Highly recommend if you are able to find one for sale in good condition!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Love these coils..Great ride and handles very well.

Ryan

·
From the land down under
4,028 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts