Supra Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Game Over
1,229 Posts
Same here , pricey little buggers
But it already comes with pillow ball top hats and it has the spring rates that all the KW guys have been needing for track days.

I still get a lot of body roll on hard mid speed corners with TMS sway bar (soft setting) and KW's on the street with R-comps...

Time to throw my KW's on my SC and pick up a set of these.

Need to make money now! :love:

·
Game Over
1,229 Posts
Hey guys,

I ended up purchasing a set of these modern DFV Ohlins in the Jza80 application. These coilovers weren't marketed in the USA for some reason, as I've scrolled through Ohlins USA catalog, and I've even tried to e-mail them asking for a part #, and was left with no response.

I've purchased mine through RHDJapan, and they've gotten ahold of them pretty quick from Ohlins Japan.
I will be replacing my KW V3's in my Supra to throw them on my SC300 so I can get a relative comparison between the two suspension (My SC300 weighing 300lbs +/- heavier than my Supra).

Here are some pics I took from assembly yesterday. Hope you guys enjoy

https://flic.kr/p/2j3FNqJ
https://flic.kr/p/2j3Dazv
https://flic.kr/p/2j3DaVf
https://flic.kr/p/2j3HjHg
https://flic.kr/p/2j3Daot
(6) Close up

·
From the land down under
4,028 Posts
I don't get jealous or envious very often, but I can't help but feel a little of both right now.

They truly are works of art.

Thank you for sharing.

P.S If you don't mind, what do these cost, please?

·
Inline for the win
4,710 Posts
^ same here. Interested what these may offer over Hipermax GT4s.

DP

·
Game Over
1,229 Posts
Stunning , be interested on feed back
^ same here. Interested what these may offer over Hipermax GT4s.

DP
Nice. Interested to read the review of the Öhlins compared to KW V3.

My first impression of the Ohlins DFV was on a Evo IX, as the owner was selling his FD to a buddy of mine, and we were on the way to the bank in his car.

It had gave me a noticeably different impression of a road feel than other coil overs I've ridden in other cars, and it literally felt like the shock travels with all the imperfections on the road instead of just damping them.

The KW's in my Supra rides pretty well on the road, but I can get excessive roll on the streets on spirited drives.
I'm on R888R's, and I have compression cranked up pretty high on the dampers too.

My TMS front sway bar is currently on the soft setting, but I have a feeling even on the stiff setting won't be enough on the track, especially with the guys over on the road race section having to swap out front springs to #900lbs to stop the excessive roll/bottoming out. These Ohlins already come with a 16/12kg springs, so they already have a 900lb spring out of the box.

As far as hardware goes between the two, I'm in favor of the Ohlins right now.
The KW's come with a plastic spring height adjusting collar, and it doesn't have a threaded lower shock body for height adjustment so any changes in height will also change spring pre-load. You also need to provide your own OEM top hats with KW's, but these will come with pillow ball with a pressed-in spherical bearing.

The Ohlins' recomended service interval however, are approximately +/- 30,000km of road use, and they also recommend spraying down the shock with WD-40 or equivalent after washing, these are more high maintenance in comparison to the KW's.

I also run a lot of caster in my car (10+/- degrees), so I'm also in the middle of going to a SC steering rack for their extra power steering assist, and slightly faster ratio (17:5:1 vs 17:3:1) Supra vs Lexus.
I'm pretty excited to have these on the car, hopefully they will give me a similar road impression in the Supra as my first in the Evo. I'll try to get things moving along as soon as I reasonably can to follow up with you guys.

·
Inline for the win
4,710 Posts
What control arms are you running to run that much caster? Titan or JIC?

DP

·
Game Over
1,229 Posts
Those are absolutely gorgeous!
I too am keenly following this thread. I'm excited to hear your impressions on them, Sam!
Thanks Jeff!

I'm also very excited to have these on the Supra!

What control arms are you running to run that much caster? Titan or JIC?

DP
Doug,

I am running Fig's engineering LCA with flipped OEM upper A-arms. I am also running Fig's pro-angle spacers on their spherical rod ends that spaces the arm a little more forward than their standard arms to give more caster.

The flipped OEM upper A-arms are worth another 1.5-2 degrees of extra positive caster, depending on the condition of your bushings.
In an all stock OEM arm setup, I was able to get 7 degrees of caster on my SC300 with -1 degree of negative camber.

I am also looking into getting adjustable upper A-arm setup in the long run, because using the lower arms to primary gain as much Caster as I did, would also mean moving the tie rod's pickup point forward as you incline the bottom of the OEM uprights forward. This will lengthen the wheelbase, and also change the Ackerman geometry at the same time as you increase Caster, whereas the adjustable upper arms wouldn't.

·
Torturing a W58...
259 Posts
I also run a lot of caster in my car (10+/- degrees), so I'm also in the middle of going to a SC steering rack for their extra power steering assist, and slightly faster ratio (17:5:1 vs 17:3:1) Supra vs Lexus.
This comment really intrigues me. Has the caster really improved steering effort so much so that driving with the Supra rack is becoming a chore?

After coming from doing HPDEs in an Audi TT and NB miata my biggest complaint with my SC300 is that the steering is so overly assisted and vague. I actually started a thead about it 9-years ago and the suggestions came down to hacking the solenoid on the rack with a potentiometer to installing another rack all together.

Knowing that I could solve this with additional caster (while also reaping the other benefits that the additional caster would add) would be a massive win.

My SC300 is primarily a street car so I'll likely start with just flipping the upper arms. Had not heard that "trick" before - will have to look into it some more.

·
Game Over
1,229 Posts
This comment really intrigues me. Has the caster really improved steering effort so much so that driving with the Supra rack is becoming a chore?

After coming from doing HPDEs in an Audi TT and NB miata my biggest complaint with my SC300 is that the steering is so overly assisted and vague. I actually started a thead about it 9-years ago and the suggestions came down to hacking the solenoid on the rack with a potentiometer to installing another rack all together.

Knowing that I could solve this with additional caster (while also reaping the other benefits that the additional caster would add) would be a massive win.

My SC300 is primarily a street car so I'll likely start with just flipping the upper arms. Had not heard that "trick" before - will have to look into it some more.
High PSI,

The Vague feeling is still there, but overall it is improved and steering effort is significantly heavier running that much amount of caster at 10 degrees on the Supra, even with the PPS solenoid still plugged in. So much, that it is a chore to steer when the car is dead stopped, as it will require both of your hands. This is with 295/30/18 tires up front, so this is one of the reason I'm trying a SC rack. While the car is moving however, it is fine.

The SC at 7 degrees of caster on stock width tires is also noticeable, but still comfortable to drive. This will vary depends on the wheel/tires you run up front. If you compare the OEM upper A-arms left to right closely, you will notice that they are not symmetrically identical. Flipping them will take the upper ball joint and incline it rear wards towards the back of the car, introducing additional positive caster.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts