Supra Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

Game Over
Thanks for taking the time to give us all that comprehensive review :)

What is the maintenance interval on them, please? Im guessing its X amount of months or miles?
Mr Ree NZ,

It is an 30,000km +/- service interval which is an oil change IIRC.

Penske can service them.
Good to know. I was looking into performance shocks, or Sakebomb who I hear was working pretty closely with Ohlins on the FD Rx-7 stuff.

Will have to look into it more when the time comes.

Torturing a W58...
High PSI,

I just wanted to follow up that during my SC rack swap, I had decided to double check everything that I had previously installed to see if I had any air leaks in my PS system that contributed to the overly stiff feeling of the steering at a dead stop, and I did. I have found my PS pump's suction port's O-ring had a small chunk missing out of it from my previous install (Have attempted lubricating the O-ring with engine oil, ATF, and vaseline with no luck). I have now used silicone based grease (Super lube), with PHR's new double o-ringed suction port fitting. All leaks were fixed and steering effort has lightened back up to where I can steer at a dead stop with one hand, although repeated back and forth input can heat up the PS fluid to where it gets stiff again from scrubbing the wide front tires. Under moving conditions, the steering effort has also lightened up here, but it is still significantly heavier than my SC and the steering feedback feels great here IMO.
Appreciate the follow up - I thought it was odd that camber added that much effort.

So you are still going to the SC rack for the quicker ratio? I'll be interested to see if it still gives you the same feedback that you feel with your Supra rack. Please do update if you make the swap. I'd prefer to stick with my SC rack if possible, but if you swap over and then update that effort is vague and playing around with the PPS solenoid still can't get you the feel the Supra rack gives you, I'll know I've got to bite the bullet.

But as far as spirited driving goes on the street, I absolutely love the feel of these Ohlins. To sum it up, the KW's feels more of a nice cruiser coilover, and the Ohlins feels more like a raw sports car feeling. Both are very nice, both are very comfortable, but they are two different coilovers for two different needs. Personally for my needs, the Ohlins are hands down the overall winner.
Damn...a great review but unfortunately for me doesn't make my decision any easier. I doubt I'll ever track my SC, but definitely need a more confidence-inspiring suspension than I currently have (Megan Racing馃檮). It's built to be a GT car but I love to push it on a windy back-road or on/off ramp on occasion. I wonder how much the spring rates are influencing the difference in feeling between the two.

I this you've summed it up well by saying both are nice and comfortable, just for two different needs. I suppose with that in mind I should be leaning towards the KWs.

However, the biggest downfall with the Ohlins right now would be their shorter maintenance interval. Time will tell if I experience any changes in damping before sending them in for their first service. Another potential downfall is local support. I have not had experience with any shock service shops, and don't know if anyone can service these in the USA since they are originally not available via Ohlins USA, unless they share substantially similar internal parts throughout other platforms.
FWIW I've read elsewhere (Miata forums) that Ohlins do not wear any quicker than any other coilover, but they're just more honest about how frequently they should be serviced in order for them to maintain top performance.

Of note however is that this has come from an Ohlins distributor with skin in the game. Still, his argument makes sense logically.

Currently, I have the dampers set at 10 out of 20 on all four corners, but they already feel so good, I'm not even sure if I want to touch them, but I know I should play around with them to fine tune them to my driving style, or soften them up to see if they can ride any better than the KW's. Overall, I'm very happy with the Ohlins
Please update us once you play around with the dampening. Maybe if you're really bored you'll throw the KW springs on the Ohlins to compare the two without spring rate being a variable?:sneaky:

Seriously though, thank you for the detailed and unbiased comparison.

Game Over
Appreciate the follow up - I thought it was odd that camber added that much effort.

So you are still going to the SC rack for the quicker ratio? I'll be interested to see if it still gives you the same feedback that you feel with your Supra rack. Please do update if you make the swap. I'd prefer to stick with my SC rack if possible, but if you swap over and then update that effort is vague and playing around with the PPS solenoid still can't get you the feel the Supra rack gives you, I'll know I've got to bite the bullet.
High PSI,

I'm running the SC rack right now. For my situation with the heavier steer, I felt like any additional assist for me would be ideal, as it is easier to make the steering heavier by cranking out more Caster. I would stay with the SC rack as it is. I've measured with a dial caliper between the Supra vs SC rack, and the cylinder body of the SC rack is 3mm larger, which explains the need for two different style of steering rack bushings needed from PHR.

IMO, I would probably say around 9-10 degrees is what I'd run max with the stock PS pump. You'd definitely need a proper PS cooler at this much, I'm currently running a Series 1 30-row oil cooler for PS from Setrab.

I am currently out of AT inputs because of my engine patch harness, but one of these days, I'll have to add a temp sensor to log my PS temps to see if it needs any more cooling.

Damn...a great review but unfortunately for me doesn't make my decision any easier. I doubt I'll ever track my SC, but definitely need a more confidence-inspiring suspension than I currently have (Megan Racing馃檮). It's built to be a GT car but I love to push it on a windy back-road or on/off ramp on occasion. I wonder how much the spring rates are influencing the difference in feeling between the two.

I this you've summed it up well by saying both are nice and comfortable, just for two different needs. I suppose with that in mind I should be leaning towards the KWs.
I do the same thing with my SC. It is a DD that gets occasional spirited driving on the back roads. I love how comfortable this car is, along with it's similar handling personality as the Supra.

A few months ago, I've switched back and forth between the two cars, and I have noticed with the SC the rack was very slightly quicker on the same corners I've took with both cars. SC rack definitely has more maximum rack travel.

I'm currently on Tein Flex's on this car, but their soft and harsh at the same time lol. They are also feel floaty over droops. Even with the damping settings one click before maxed out to mitigate this, they don't really feel stiff, and the tires would skip over ripples and imperfections on the road under hard cornering.

I suppose I can't complain too much for what I paid for them, but I think if I were to start over again, I'd be interested to try the Gixxer drew setup for the money.

The KW's are going on this car, but since the SC is heavier it might feel even softer on this car.
The spring rates are also softer than the Teins, but we'll see if I get any excessive body roll like I did with the Supra, albeit with much narrower and less grippier tires. Depends on the damper settings at this point.

FWIW I've read elsewhere (Miata forums) that Ohlins do not wear any quicker than any other coilover, but they're just more honest about how frequently they should be serviced in order for them to maintain top performance.

Of note however is that this has come from an Ohlins distributor with skin in the game. Still, his argument makes sense logically.

Please update us once you play around with the dampening. Maybe if you're really bored you'll throw the KW springs on the Ohlins to compare the two without spring rate being a variable?:sneaky:

Seriously though, thank you for the detailed and unbiased comparison.

Thanks for the link! That is a little reassuring as I have also heard that from other varying sources through the internet as well. I'll definitely get back to you guys when I have a chance to spend more time with damper settings.

(Rare & Unique)
Good to know. I was looking into performance shocks, or Sakebomb who I hear was working pretty closely with Ohlins on the FD Rx-7 stuff.

Will have to look into it more when the time comes.
I purchased my Ohlins coils a few yeras ago from Sakebomb but for my FD. They do work closely with them and had something in the works for MK4 about a year ago. I plan to move to Ohlins for Supra as well to replace my HKS HM3's. Thank you for the review and happy you compared it with the KW's. The rebound/comp of the Ohlins dual flow really shines over others immensely, a staple of theirs, along with it's construction art.

Reactions: Boost Wang

Game Over
I purchased my Ohlins coils a few yeras ago from Sakebomb but for my FD. They do work closely with them and had something in the works for MK4 about a year ago. I plan to move to Ohlins for Supra as well to replace my HKS HM3's. Thank you for the review and happy you compared it with the KW's. The rebound/comp of the Ohlins dual flow really shines over others immensely, a staple of theirs, along with it's construction art.
RikTT,

Glad it helps. Maybe Sakebomb will have their regular DFV, and maybe even one of their FP Spec Ohlins one day.

I wish Ohlins would market their DFV set in their Jza80 application in the USA. Why they don't, I have no idea, but it would've saved me the extra $100 importation fee from Japan and saved me a couple weeks of my stuff being held at customs over a complimentary sticker 馃ぃ馃ぃ 馃が馃が

We've been missing out IMO. These DFV's are the shit.

Registered
I've been following the thread, really appreciate the detailed reviews of your Ohlins setup, Boost Wang. I did notice Figs is selling an Ohlins DFV setup they say is valved to their own specs and comes with Swift springs. That gives a US-based option, but the much higher cost more than wipes out the $100 import fee you had to pay. Wonder if there is much of a difference to justify the price tag outside of the Swift springs?

Figs Ohlins

Premium Member
I had Ohlins DFV shocks on my EVO IX, it is by far the best shocks i have ever had a ride on. When i purchased coilovers for my last supra, Ohlins didn't make any for the MKIV, except the Ohlins you see in the start of this thread which is made by Ohlins Japan. These DFV's are also made by Ohlins Japan i guess, since they don't have Ohlins springs, the shock itself is genuine Ohlins for sure though, which is what makes the huge difference.

Here is a throwback picture of my old EVO getting a set put on at one of Ohlins shops in Sweden (i live just a few hours from Ohlins). Their knowledge of suspension parts are just incredible, as are their shops, they stock just about every spring and shim there is to put on a coilover to fully customize it to your liking.

Game Over
I've been following the thread, really appreciate the detailed reviews of your Ohlins setup, Boost Wang. I did notice Figs is selling an Ohlins DFV setup they say is valved to their own specs and comes with Swift springs. That gives a US-based option, but the much higher cost more than wipes out the $100 import fee you had to pay. Wonder if there is much of a difference to justify the price tag outside of the Swift springs?

Figs Ohlins
You can also buy the Ohlins Japan kit without springs, as that was optional. You can piece together your own set of springs from Swift, but you'd have to revalve them depending on how much you want deviate from the OG spring rates to be ideal.

Other than the revalve from Figs for different spring rates, I'm not sure what else are you getting for additional price point. Just selecting their "Track" rates already sets it to $4650 before shipping which is already two fold more than what the Ohlins Japan complete kit. Both already comes with pillow ball top hat with spherical bearing, although Figs make their own top hats for their kit.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts