Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if anyone has any oil analysis that has been done, please feel free to post them up.

i just got mine back for a sample of 10w-30 amsoil from blackstone labs.

i had done a lot of heavy driving on the 8000 miles i put on the oil, i boost the car every time i drive basically and have been through quite a few "races" on the oil change.

the oil lasted quite well. there was 0 breakdown of the oil at all being in the car for 1 year and 8k miles. 0 coolant present, 0 combustion gases,

i did have higher wear present only on bearings, but due to the other very good readings it was analyzed as being the "hard driving" that caused the extra wear which is understandable for the extra force and the amount i beat on the car weekly. (i went from 87k miles when i bought it in april 09, to 111111 miles to this day, 24k miles in less than 2 years is a lot of driving.)

only metals present were bearing materials. and apparently the blitz filter i have on is good for performance but bad for filtering as the silicone levels were higher than normal. so ill pick up an amsoil (injen) filter which showed great results in independent tests.

switching to 5w-30 amsoil syn and seeing if i can reduce the wear through startups, and sending a sample back at 4k to see the results.

·
ex BPU'er
5,095 Posts
Thanks for the results, Kracin. Just proves these new synthetics are good for beyond the 3K oil changes (of course, I'm talking about gasoline, not E85). I've been doing about 5K per change. I really need to send it to Blackstone labs to know my proper oil change interval is.

Jeremy

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the results, Kracin. Just proves these new synthetics are good for beyond the 3K oil changes (of course, I'm talking about gasoline, not E85). I've been doing about 5K per change. I really need to send it to Blackstone labs to know my proper oil change interval is.

Jeremy
correct. forgot to add in that the TBN level was 2.5 which showed that the oil still had quite a bit of additives left in it (less than 1 is time to change).

·
Actual member since 2001.
2,606 Posts
Well it don't look good at all. High readings in aluminum, copper, lead and iron. My understanding from Blackstone Labs, at 172K miles this is higher then the average, what do you think? Catastrophic failure around the corner? Experienced people please feel free to chime in.

Engine has been running rough for years now. 97 TT BPU.

·
Stock Twins King
4,591 Posts
I just had mine tested. Got it today. Reason? I did a hub centric dyno in July and I was shocked that my "twin" car made 800tq. Highest prior was low 700's. Since over the last 10-14 years, the rumor mill say's that the limit to a stock 2JZ is 800-850 whp. SO when I made this 800tq, I started to get concerned about excessive engine wear.

Well, my analysis, *may* point to this. However, I need to do another sample again after my 2000 mile trip to Vegas. I had about 2000 miles on the oil when it was tested. So those 2000 miles were fairly extreme driving, drags, dyno's. So the next report might not be as bad.

Question is what do these numbers mean really. These are all maybe parts/million or whatever. I have another report from a few weeks ago on my sons M3 and there was almost '0' heavy metals. But that car isn't driven HARD like we can with the Supra. So I imagine it is hard trying to decipher these numbers into anything meaning. Or maybe this does mean something, dunno. Best to see the next report.

View attachment 97 SUPRA-082614.pdf

PS: Standard "averages" based on miles driven on the oil tested are at the far right.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I just had mine tested. Got it today. Reason? I did a hub centric dyno in July and I was shocked that my "twin" car made 800tq. Highest prior was low 700's. Since over the last 10-14 years, the rumor mill say's that the limit to a stock 2JZ is 800-850 whp. SO when I made this 800tq, I started to get concerned about excessive engine wear.

Well, my analysis, *may* point to this. However, I need to do another sample again after my 2000 mile trip to Vegas. I had about 2000 miles on the oil when it was tested. So those 2000 miles were fairly extreme driving, drags, dyno's. So the next report might not be as bad.

Question is what do these numbers mean really. These are all maybe parts/million or whatever. I have another report from a few weeks ago on my sons M3 and there was almost '0' heavy metals. But that car isn't driven HARD like we can with the Supra. So I imagine it is hard trying to decipher these numbers into anything meaning. Or maybe this does mean something, dunno. Best to see the next report.

View attachment 116745

PS: Standard "averages" based on miles driven on the oil tested are at the far right.

the simplest way to put what the numbers actually mean is that the parts per million is the amount of one particle in equal suspension per million particles of the oil itself.

having a higher amount of lead and tin would tell you that your bearings are wearing more than usual, having a higher amount of silicon would tell you that your air filter is likely not working very well or you have contaminates making their way in. not to mention you get antifreeze numbers, and others as well.

if you send in to blackstone labs stu, they will do the deciphering for you. and if you put a note asking about what you should be concerned about on the report, they are very customer friendly and provide good feedback on the results as well.

(found this link for your) http://www.blackstone-labs.com/report-explanation.php

here is my latest (i forgot about this thread, thanks for resurrecting it).

based on your analysis and mine stu, the first 8k mile oil change interval was done after some heavy and hard driving. plenty of runs here and there. so the increased wear may have something to do with just running the 2j real hard.

this oil change i'm running pennzoil ultimate (said to be a real good oil) and i want to run it for 8k and see how it looks after this.

this is my tundras oil with pennzoil platinum. decent run, but ill run it longer next time. the truck sees very little towing, the the stress it gets is from normal city driving.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update for another oil change, another 2uz-fe my sequoia.. it's currently pushing just under 300k miles, looking to do another report on it sometime soon, i've got a sample to send in for the tundra thats got around 230k on it now run at 15k miles also, expecting the trucks engine to be just as good as this

·
Registered
49 Posts
3rd of 4th oil change on the short block I did my first sample. Can't say I'm super happy but there is no material in the oil filter so whatever is wearing doesn't seem to be real bad.. yet.

·
Super Moderator
11,529 Posts
3rd of 4th oil change on the short block I did my first sample. Can't say I'm super happy but there is no material in the oil filter so whatever is wearing doesn't seem to be real bad.. yet.
Talk about a very rare instance of a relevant multi-year bump post. I'm not even mad, I'm impressed.

Sadly your results are what I've come to expect of Amsoil, Brad Penn, etc and all of those sorts of oils. Overpriced, overhyped, and if they were really that much better it'd be easy to find more support for them in real world applications.

Reactions: Mr Ree NZ
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.