Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 89 n/a burns oil fairly bad. It's not so bad where there's white smoke pouring out, but it is about a quart a week and I don't necessarily drive that much. I have 10w-40 in there currently. Should I go to thicker oil to slow the oil consumption down? What would going thicker mean for the engine wear+tear wise? Thanks...

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
i would do a compression test and then a wet compression test to determine weather it's in the head or the rings..

it could be worse though..

im driving a 96 kia saphia (sp?) that burns 2 qts every day... .

i was told it's the "vavle stem seals" so being an auto student, i decided to changed them, 9 hours later, car still smokes.. and ive come to the conclusion the cylinder walls are warn, and it's building compression due to so much oil on top of the pistons..

·
Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea I meant blue...sry i'm not thinkin...I got this car about a year ago and the guy before me said he did a compression test and compression was good across all 6. I've only put about 10 k on it since then so what would that mean?

·
Registered
321 Posts
If blue smoke comes out constantly, at idle, under load...Your rings are shot. Engine braking, start up-Valve stem seals.

I mean, if your adding oil every week then it's more then likely your rings.

PS: Great excuse to go GTE!

·
Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MKIIICalgary said:
If blue smoke comes out constantly, at idle, under load...Your rings are shot. Engine braking, start up-Valve stem seals.

I mean, if your adding oil every week then it's more then likely your rings.

PS: Great excuse to go GTE!
yea actually I am within the next year or so...so I probably shouldn't worry about it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts