Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 88 7m-ge and i would like to know how the total amount of oil it holds i am chaning it in the moring. :sadwavey:

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
normal 5 some people do 6/7 QT's i'd do 5 1/2 6 the most.

·
Ludicrous speed! GO!
959 Posts
Yep - the people who are in the know recommend +1 quarts so that'll be 6 total.

One day while at work and on lunch break we were discussing cars and I happened to mention that it costs ~$70 for an oil change for the supra: ~60 for the oil (RedLine 20w50)and ~10 for the Mobil M-102 oil filter

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
i pay for 2 qts and get 6 + oil filter with the local discount. Gotta love visiting the old job and my boys still work there including the manager giving me that top notch discount

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
Free Oil Changes at my work... JiffyLube Rofl.

·
4,655 Posts
4.7 W/oil filter
4.3 w/o oil filter

5 is what i do
thinking about 6 now but i got a bad leak

·
Back Yard Customs
128 Posts
what about turbo models? same thing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
no turbo models require an extra qrt. or 2 of oil because of the extra oil running threw your turbo an turbo oil lines. id throw in 7 qrts check it then start the car let it run threw the car (including turbo ) an then turn off the car check it again then add or drain oil unless its dead on. at least thats always works for me untill i get the hang of how much oil it needs.

·
4,934 Posts
The manual calls for 5.2 qts for a dry fill for N/A and 5.4 for a dry fill for turbo.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=A&P=35

Most people put in between 6 and 7 because of the large volume of the oil pan. Around sweeping corners the oil pickup in the pan is not sucking up any oil if its at the stock 5 quart level...another quart will fix this.

NORMALLY this is bad in cars...but, in JUST this case (as in just for our cars) the oil doesn't even come close to the crankcase (aeration is bad) or rings or bust any seals. So basically, there's no negative side effects, and on the plus side you can avoid rod knock.

Around 7 or 8 and under hard braking (IIRC?) it'll start to burn the excess oil down to 7 or 6.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts