Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just wondering if there is anybody out there that can tell or show me where they mounted there oil catch can. I need some ideas on where to mount mine at so pics would be great thanks.

·
Savage Member
1,033 Posts
Rip out Charcoal canister; install in its place.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I put mine in place of the cruise control since it didnt work anyways. It's on the "cooler" side of the engine and you want the catch can to be as cool as possible since it catches oil vapor and then is supposed to condense it.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice pic man thanks a lot um what does the little tube do im assuming that it goes underneath the can to empty it but im not fo sure. I thought that u just block of the hole on the accordian hose and run the two tubes the two pipes on the valve cover. It would be nice if this came with some sort of instructions but maybe i can figure it out with yer guys replys. aight thanks

·
Registered
454 Posts
He has the two holes in the valve covers connected via an N/A pcv fitting (basically a T-tube) and the other tube going into the accordian hose. The suction from the accordian intake hose is what picks the vapors up out of the valve covers, though its always boggled me how this helps with the initial problem of getting oil into our intake tract (read: intercooler). I've seen others just hook the two valve covers into the catch can and nothing else, but then how are any vapors going into the catch can? The third thing I've seen is the throttle body port being routed into the catch can with the valve covers T'd into the other nipple on the can, but again, you're now getting oil vapors into your intake manifold (granted this seems better than into your turbo/intercooler). It'd be nice if someone could clarify all this :)

·
Search
3,303 Posts
cre3d said:
He has the two holes in the valve covers connected via an N/A pcv fitting (basically a T-tube) and the other tube going into the accordian hose. The suction from the accordian intake hose is what picks the vapors up out of the valve covers, though its always boggled me how this helps with the initial problem of getting oil into our intake tract (read: intercooler). I've seen others just hook the two valve covers into the catch can and nothing else, but then how are any vapors going into the catch can? The third thing I've seen is the throttle body port being routed into the catch can with the valve covers T'd into the other nipple on the can, but again, you're now getting oil vapors into your intake manifold (granted this seems better than into your turbo/intercooler). It'd be nice if someone could clarify all this :)

I think that the only reason for the pipe running to the accordian hose is to provide vaccum in the catch can, which assists in oil residue going into the can... since the vaccum hose is on top of the can, how much oil would it really suck up?

Just a thought, I don't know anything for sure

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
His tube going to the accordian hose doesnt look all oily so maybe it isnt suckin that much i dont know.

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
theres many ways to do it. i have switched somethings around and its basicly the same way. i will eventually fix it the way i do want it keep in mind thats temporary. I will run 2 off the valve covers into the catch can and tap on a filter of some sorts. the tube comming off the covers has alot more oil residue in them and the big tube going to the accordian is clean. the tube on the side of the catch can is to check the oil level inside the can. sorry o short gotta run to work. later!

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
yea is there any chepaer catch cans that we can buy? ar ebay ones worth it and where can we get the hoses for it?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Home Made

I made my own when I kept seeing ebay sellers charging me $32USD to ship a $19 item... Hey, add it all up and I was looking at $60... My brother brought me a peanut oil can from work, I picked up some hose fittings at a local hydralic shop and I had a spare Toyota oil cap... A bit a drilling and some painting and voila! I put mine near the brake booster as there was an empty space there and it was far away from the heat of the exaust/turbo allowing the oil to condense some.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
See i bought the hks one off of ebay and its tight but i was just gettin some ideas on where to mount it and shit like that.

·
Union Proud
656 Posts
^from an emissions stand point, yes (EDIT: It's unregulated "exhaust"). You'll also be slowly dripping oil on the ground. If you get caught, you'll probably see some relatively hefty fines...the DEP doesn't like that kinda stuff :dunno:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts