Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about everyone's schedule for oil changes. How many miles driven/months do you perform a routine maintenance?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I used to put 4k miles per year, and changed the oil once a year. Lately, I only put 1.5k per year, so I change the oil after 18 months and 2k miles. Hoping to bump that mileage number up again to over 2k per year. I use Amsoil synthetic, and would take it up to 5k miles no problem.

As far as other maintenance, the goal is to get everything up to snuff, fluids, vacuum hoses, etc, then you start opening the hood less and less, like once a month. Unless you need to cool the engine off from racing or want to show someone.

Al

·
Boost Junkie
12,554 Posts
I run Amsoil Dominator, which doesn't have the detergents that many oils have since its a racing oil. I change it twice a year no matter the mileage.

Steve

·
iSPOOL
1,353 Posts
2x per year, changing the oil filter once per year. I barely drive 2k miles annually.
In the process of replacing the major components of my suspension at 157k miles.

·
Registered
Rejoined
75 Posts
My goal has been change the oil at 2500 miles or once a year; change filter each time. Use Mobile One synthetic 10W-30. Other maintenance as needed, or the recommended mileage. I check the oil level before each drive taken (aim to drive once a week).

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
i used to change it every 5k miles but since i dont put that kind of mileage on it anymore its more like once every 1-1.5 years.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Every 5k miles, filter every time, and since I drive it almost every day that's about twice a year.

Everything else I just do as laid out in the TSRM. Diff is overdue, but I'm waiting on the wife letting me get an OS Giken to swap in.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I drive my setup frequently and usually have driven somewhere between 6.5k-7.5k per year. Quite a bit less right now.

In my hot climate I follow the 2JZ-GTE service schedule in the manual. Mobil1 synthetic every 3k miles. The driving is spirited but the car isn't raced or taken to the track so I think that's fine. Internally everything has stock bearings and OEM tolerances so I think that's reasonable.

If it were to be driven hard at events then I would change the oil more frequently according to the activities, probably within 2k miles.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I think I probably drive between 6k and 8k per year, tops, but that's between the whole fleet. Supra, if I bring it on the Vegas trip, sees probably 2500 miles per year, roughly. If / when things are working right on the car, I autocross it, so it sees some pretty hard use for brief periods.

If not for a fuel dilution issue (almost certainly due to the tune needing some work on low load cruising conditions), I wouldn't bother changing it but probably every other year. As is, it's a seasonal car at the moment, so I change it once a year. I run a ridiculously oversized filter (Donaldson P550518) and have put a lot of thought and effort into my oiling system.

Worth noting, I have our oil lab analyze samples each year. Highly recommend oil sampling if you really want to know how well your engine is doing, or a particular oil, drain interval, etc. Can learn a lot if you take the time to educate yourself there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi guys I probably drive mine about 1k per year and don’t know why I decided to do this only now after 10 years of owning the car but after this past oil change I decided to smell the oil cap and dip stick and it smelt like fuel. My oil level isnt high and the viscosity seems normal. Just wondering if this is a common issue for low mileage driving?

·
Registered
Rejoined
75 Posts
^^ That's interesting. I don't recall sniffing the oil cap or dip stick before (25 years ownership), but now I'll have to remember to do this on the weekend. I average 2000 to 2500 miles/year. Anybody else with input?

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Used oil does not smell good, that's for sure. After an oil change, I clean tools and throw away rags that touched the old oil.

It's normal for it to smell a "little" like fuel, as long as it doesn't smell like raw fuel. A properly functioning "active" PCV system will remove the most byproducts from the crankcase, condensation, etc.

Al

·
Registered
67 Posts
Used oil does not smell good, that's for sure. After an oil change, I clean tools and throw away rags that touched the old oil.

It's normal for it to smell a "little" like fuel, as long as it doesn't smell like raw fuel. A properly functioning "active" PCV system will remove the most byproducts from the crankcase, condensation, etc.

Al
Raw fuel meaning right out of the nozzle from the gas station?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Every 25-30 pulls/rounds of racing. (~1100hp+, E98).
I also always cut the filter and check for bearing material.

Measuring miles between changes is pointless on a dedicated race weapon. For me 500mi on the street = ~50-60 races/pulls in mexico.

And I check the level & smell after every race night, after cool down. If the scent of ethanol is heavy or the color/viscosity is noticeably different than a new bottle, I just change it.

These are small motors, couple that with steel rods & high cylinder pressures, the bearings take a beating..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Every 25-30 pulls/rounds of racing. (~1100hp+, E98).
I also always cut the filter and check for bearing material.

Measuring miles between changes is pointless on a dedicated race weapon. For me 500mi on the street = ~50-60 races/pulls in mexico.

And I check the level & smell after every race night, after cool down. If the scent of ethanol is heavy or the color/viscosity is noticeably different than a new bottle, I just change it.

These are small motors, couple that with steel rods & high cylinder pressures, the bearings take a beating..
Love this advise, gonna use this procedure when I get my car together and racing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts