Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I know it's normal for the 7m to consume oil over time. But the question is how much. I refill about half a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Sound normal? That's including a minor valve cover leak.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi, sounds about right for one that has a valve cover leak. My 87 with no leaking at all uses less than half a quart in 5000 miles.
Semper Fi

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay. Is yours a turbo or non turbo? I've read around that people were adding 3/4 of a quart every 500 miles or so. I couldn't believe that

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
87 7MGTE with over 240k here. Back when it was my daily I could go 5k without losing a drop.

Haven't tested it lately though. She hasn't even done a full mile in over 2.5 years.

·
YotaMD.com author
729 Posts
That's excessive consumption for a stock motor, based on my experience. I fill 1-1.5 over full and after 5k miles it's normally still above full by a significant margin.

·
Unlimited Time Attack A70
3,580 Posts
Thats a bit much, usually anything over a 1 quart in 3,000 miles id consider it losing or consuming excessive. Fix your leaks and monitor it. If you're over that 1qrt for 3k mark its time to start checking your valve stem seals and piston rings for excessive wear. Or potentially your turbo seals.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats a bit much, usually anything over a 1 quart in 3,000 miles id consider it losing or consuming excessive. Fix your leaks and monitor it. If you're over that 1qrt for 3k mark its time to start checking your valve stem seals and piston rings for excessive wear. Or potentially your turbo seals.
No matter what I do those valve covers will not stop leaking. Last time I even put sealant and cleaned everything 10 times over and they're still leaking somehow. Every time I go for a drive I get a drop or 2 down on the ground from the clave covers dripping down the front of the engine. I would've thought if they were rings or stem seals I would see some smoke from the back to some degree. Turbo brand new. Sp6262 less than 3 months ago.

·
YotaMD.com author
729 Posts
Not a stock motor at all. Pushing over 400whp here
When I say stock motor, I mean stock pistons, rings, PCV system, catch can, etc... The factory oiling system shouldn't be losing that much oil, even at 400whp.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi, mine is a turbo with 67000 original miles. I fixed the valve cover leaks including the center cover. You can get the valve covers to stop leaking by following the service technique in the tsrm, and definitely use the recommended sealant in the corners. I am fairly sure my valve seals are a bit dry after all these years, and whatever small amount of oil i use comes at start up after sitting a few days. No smoking at all while running. Years ago when i had my 86.5 7mge, it started to use oil after about 12 years and 80k miles. The valve covers started leaking, and i never fixed them, normal oil use for that condition on that car was about equal to what you are experiencing. Had i fixed the covers, i am sure that oil use would have been under .5 quart per 5k miles.
Semper Fi

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's excessive consumption for a stock motor, based on my experience. I fill 1-1.5 over full and after 5k miles it's normally still above full by a significant margin.
Hi Suprax7nut, not questioning your expertise on these cars, but I' ve often heard that overfilling the sump on most engines is a bad idea. The crank whips around the oil to a point where it becomes frothy and less efficient at lubricating. Unless the 7m's have that much extra capacity in the pan, where the crank doesn't reach the oil enough to whip it up.
Semper Fi

·
7M Fanatic
3,266 Posts
Joe1234, are you not planing on building this engine ?
Did I not see you talking about pistons, and rods ?
It's an old engine, get over it.
Try normal maintenance, like fixing the cam cover leak.
If you can't handle that, then you better not go looking at performance parts, and big HP numbers.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Joe1234, are you not planing on building this engine ?
Did I not see you talking about pistons, and rods ?
It's an old engine, get over it.
Try normal maintenance, like fixing the cam cover leak.
If you can't handle that, then you better not go looking at performance parts, and big HP numbers.
Lol I am haha. I was just wondering how much oil it consumes because it seems like it's gonna die on me anytime soon! A lot of other threads were saying " oh I refill a quart about every 500 miles" and people were agreeing with that. And I said to myself that can't be possible so I asked around here.

·
YotaMD.com author
729 Posts
Hi Suprax7nut, not questioning your expertise on these cars, but I' ve often heard that overfilling the sump on most engines is a bad idea. The crank whips around the oil to a point where it becomes frothy and less efficient at lubricating. Unless the 7m's have that much extra capacity in the pan, where the crank doesn't reach the oil enough to whip it up.
Semper Fi
The 7M has more than a quart of overhead space in the sump, likely more than two quarts. You should always run more than the "full" amount on a 7M.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts