Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tuning focused...
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

I have seen many times here some guys with an external oil cooler (the bigger and longer lines the worst) have had oiling issues in their engine, from stock to fully built or toyota replacements, they start with a low pressure feedback from their external gauges, some other start with the stock oil pressure light coming on idle or low rpms operation.

I did use a greddy 16 row oil cooler kit in my street supra, just for the look of it, and I am almost positive if I recall correctly the oil pressure at 8500 rpms was JUST 4,5 4,8 bars from the greddy gauge, sender is on the IS300 union bolt, that`s around 70 psis, I think before that on my 20K car/engine I saw it at 5-66 bar range for sure 85-90 psis.

So you guys with oiling issues as, rod bearing failure (spun bearings), crank walk, rod out of block, blown turbo etc please post if you had an oil cooler and if you saw something weird with the oil pressure before the engine/turbo damage.

I amd just installing my 15K titan engien to rev it to 9500 rpms and I don`t want the stupid greddy oil cooler making oil pressure losses, so I did remove it for the breakign it period and we`ll see!!

Thanks

DJ

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question, but based upon what you reported it seems like a good idea to investigate the matter. Hopefully someone will chime in with some actual experience on the 2JZ-GTE.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I run an aftermarket oil cooler controled by a Mocal thermo and the car runs great. I've had many pulls up to 8500 rpm and so far, kock on wood, it's still holding together. I wouldn't run a cooler without a thermo. I also still retain the OEM cooler.

·
Tuning focused...
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well... I remember now perfect

At 8500 rpms with the greddy 16 oil cooler I had just 4.5 bars

Now at 8500 rpms I have around 6.5 to 7 depending on oil temp

That`s almost a 29 psi pressure drop from an oil cooler setup...

I really don`t want to know what happends if I constanly rev it up to 9500 rpms wioth just 4.8 bars of oil pressure Vs. 7 bars...

As all the big boys high revving supras are meant mainly for drag racing, they DON^T care adding the extra weight and hassle of an external big core oil cooler.. so it`s somewhat very hard to find the info... as.. in the other hand the autocross boys whom may have them.. they don`t generally make an excess of 600 whp or rev them higher than 7800-8000 rpms..

So.. we are in the same boat as 6 months ago.. no any strong answer from this!!

Later

DJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts