Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· CAR > FAMILY
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve looked at the other thread that has information on how to upgrade the oil cooling for the engine and I’m planning to do that, but I was wondering about some of the other components as well. Specifically the transmission and rear-end.

I’ve seen coolers for auto transmissions, but not so much on manual transmissions? I also know that I’ve seen them for the rear-end as well. I can’t recall seeing them on a supra though, I’ve seen older cars with the rear-end ones.

I guess specifically I’m wondering if there’s a real need for them and if so, what size cooler. Also, would you need to use a pump? I’m guessing yes, but since the oil is cooling spinning objects, maybe there is a circulation effect that makes a pump optional?

Admittedly I probably won’t be tracking the car that much, but given the choice, I’d rather have the car setup to do that rather than not. Seeing as you’d have to make fittings it may make adding a cooler a pain, but I guess at the very least it would be nice to know

· Game Over
1,767 Posts
Hmm I've also thought about if theres any significant benefits in having a oil coolers in our V160s as well. They only take about 2 quarts of oil after all. Not sure if our rear end has a cooler, but I did found a fuse for it...

· Registered
13,982 Posts
I don't recall hearing of tranny or diff coolers being used in the US, even by the hardcore dedicated track cars...but maybe they'll chime in and correct me on that.

Otherwise, this reminds me that the euro spec Supras had a factory differential cooler since they drive higher sustained speeds there...i.e., Autobahn etc.

· Game Over
1,767 Posts
Nick, thats interesting... I also wonder how many others monitor their transmission and differential oil temperatures. I'm guessing since there's quite a bit of friction there that would require us to use such a high viscosity oil in the rear end to resist heat and friction, would there be an ideal temperature that'll significantly help us reduce drivetrain powerloss? Let alone, reducing the wear on our transmissions and differentials.

· Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
6,330 Posts
did the RZ JDM one come with diff cooler? anyhow if you want a cooler you will need a pump to get the oil flowing, it cant hurt guess

· Super Moderator
14,019 Posts
did the RZ JDM one come with diff cooler? anyhow if you want a cooler you will need a pump to get the oil flowing, it cant hurt guess
The euro spec MK4 TT's came with a dedicated differential cooler & pump. The JDM & USDM delivered ones did not, however.

It would be interesting to see some logged differential & gearbox temps!

· Game Over
1,767 Posts
That would be interesting. But where would we plug our oil temp sensors at? I'm guessing one of the fill or drain bolt area or something? :dunno: Flame suit on... Haha... Would be interesting to know though

· Newbe....I know nothing!
1,865 Posts
That would be interesting. But where would we plug our oil temp sensors at? I'm guessing one of the fill or drain bolt area or something? :dunno: Flame suit on... Haha... Would be interesting to know though
That would be fairly interesting to try, I think I still have a couple open temp inputs maybe I will give it a shot.

I am looking at putting a pump on my tranny to keep fluid spraying on my thrust bearings in my R154 hope to keep them from starving and braking. Would be quite easy to add a cooler to that.

· Banned
821 Posts
jeff watson may have the stock supra cooled diff on his supra or may have at one time. I know he posted all the parts needed to install it but not sure if he ever did it or not or was just giving the info out to those who might want to any how worth checking I am sure if he did have it he would have logged the temps

· Registered
13,982 Posts

· Banned
79 Posts
unless you are doing endurance racing or your car is a dedicated track car (i.e. racing) i'd think a diff/trans cooler is a little over kill.

as someone said, powersteering and engine oil coolers are a must! las ttime i went to the track my ps fluid still overflowed out of the reserviour, even with the powersteering cooler - i think i need to make up some ducting to direct air flow a little better.

· SupraForums Sponsor
1,461 Posts
Hey guys, we have good news for all of you. We were going to wait just a bit longer to release the info, but what the hell.

We have a top notch 6-speed transmission cooler and differential cooler (auto or 6-speed) already in the testing phase. Since the mounting bracket (which we designed via CAD using laser cut thick 6061-T6 aluminum) is modular and is made for both coolers and pumps, you can purchase either one cooler, or both, or purchase one first and the other later. We are using very high quality Tilton oil pumps, along with B&M fluid coolers and SPAL cooling fans. The pumps and fans will be thermostatically activated so they do not flow or cool until ~180 degrees to allow the fluid to get up to operating temperature automatically. We will include a 3 way switch for OFF, AUTO (which is what you'll use when you want it to run,) and ON (which you will use to flush and change the fluid easily.) This system is a direct plug and play, with no drilling or tapping of the trans or diff cases required! It uses -8an stainless braided hose and -AN fittings.

We have done some data logging on diff and trans temps last weekend at Road Atlanta, and a lightweight (fully stripped) 450-500rwhp Supra will easily get the temperatures over 250 degrees not even half way through it's first session on a warm day. The diff gets hotter than the transmission, but it takes the transmission much longer to cool down once you get into the pits. So, there is DEFINITELY a need for these coolers if you take your Supra on the road course!

We are not posting pics of the prototype unit that we currently have quite yet, as as the bracket is just MIG welded steel for testing. We now only need to get some final data with the system installed at the track before releasing the units in mass, which should happen sometime in the next few weeks. We will probably build 5 units at a time, and they will be MUCH more affordable than the OEM Euro Spec cooler ;)

We have two other items in development as well, including a Setrab power steering cooler with thermostatically controlled fan, stainless lines, -AN fittings, and laser cut mounting brackets. Our final item, which should be the first one released, isn't related to road racing but something EVERY Supra owner can use! It's a small but useful item, and we'll post more details about it soon...

If you want to be added to a list for us to contact you once the trans/diff/PS coolers are ready, please PM me your email address.

· Game Over
1,767 Posts
Wow! I'm rather surprised at the Diff/Transmission logged temps. I had a feeling it'd be a pretty good idea to have coolers for them in the first place. Thanks for sharing Jeremy! I'm sure these coolers would be awesome once they get going!

· SupraForums Sponsor
1,461 Posts
We are getting closer to completion of these kits. We acquired data this past weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park on a 1994 low mile Supra. T61 single, stock fuel. 14-15psi on 93 octane. R-compound tires, carbotech brakes, STOCK coilovers. Very good driver.

The differential temps peaked at 307 F briefly, and averaged in the upper 200's. The trans temps peaked at 352 F, and averaged over 300 F. This will obviously break down the fluid QUICKLY. Mind you, the fluid in the car is a old and does need to be changed. We should have more data from Talladega GPR early this week.

We are waiting on the last batch of fittings to arrive. They were only available in the UK at an industrial supply warehouse, so we're having them air freighted in. We aim to have the kit installed on the same Supra which will go back to Carolina motorsports park later this month for 'after' testing. We'll post results. If all looks good, we will design the mounting plate/bracket in our CAD program and have the machine shop send us a batch. So, we aim to have these released by the end of the year.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.