Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
oil cooler, hard coolant line removal??

I'm about to put my engine back in. I bought an aftermarket oil cooler, can I totally get rid of my stock oil cooler and remove that coolant line that wraps around the block? Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, I guess not many people have though about getting rid of it, I was just thinking about trying to clean stuff up and maybe put some braided lines in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
there is more to it than just removing that hardpipe

the engine coolant goes through the IACV and the throttle body to prevent them freezing up. after the coolant exits the throttle body it re-enters the head just behind the timing belt cover

i would not like to experiment with removing that coolant supply back into the head...

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
i would keep the factory oil cooler in addition to the aftermarket one.

otherwise you could remove the hardpipe and all...starting the car when cold could give little difficulties but it wont hurt that car...just like removing and capping the heater hoses wont hurt the car.

remember the oil cooler lines and the coolant lines to the iac and tb have no effect on the actual cooling of the motor.

·
Registered
103 Posts
SJ said:
i would keep the factory oil cooler in addition to the aftermarket one.
i think so too - because when you are not racing the coolant/oil together will help bring the temperatures up quicker on cold start and still provide cooling at idle in traffic.

SJ said:
remember the oil cooler lines and the coolant lines to the iac and tb have no effect on the actual cooling of the motor.
that's true, but the coolant re-enters the head. i would rather keep the original circuit than blank off a branch.

also when the coolant is at full temperature it must heat soak into the intake plenum - that is a good reason to remove the iacv and tb from the coolant circuit.

i am installing an external oil cooler because i track the car regularly but i will try and connect the heat exchanger before the factory oil cooler to reduce the oil heat load on the coolant

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
rewindspline said:
that's true, but the coolant re-enters the head. i would rather keep the original circuit than blank off a branch.
in a pressurized system this reentry into the head makes no difference

·
Premium Member
4,972 Posts
Search and you can find info. You can buy the NA coolant pipe coming off the back of the water pump and it doesn't wrap around the block, just goes to the heater core. IIRC, it is only $40-$50 and then you get the NA oil filter mount for about the same price. Problem solved. Call Jeff Watson or Curt and I'm sure they can send you the right parts.

G

·
I cant seem to find any info about the NA oil filter mount, can you go into details of what function it will serve if the gte coolant pipe around the block is removed?

Is it basically the filter mount without a oil cooler?

Also, what do you do with the extra coolant ports on the driver side if you do remove the coolant pipe?

RSA Supra said:
Search and you can find info. You can buy the NA coolant pipe coming off the back of the water pump and it doesn't wrap around the block, just goes to the heater core. IIRC, it is only $40-$50 and then you get the NA oil filter mount for about the same price. Problem solved. Call Jeff Watson or Curt and I'm sure they can send you the right parts.

·
Premium Member
4,972 Posts
turbo6speed said:
I cant seem to find any info about the NA oil filter mount, can you go into details of what function it will serve if the gte coolant pipe around the block is removed?

Is it basically the filter mount without a oil cooler?

Also, what do you do with the extra coolant ports on the driver side if you do remove the coolant pipe?
Yes, it just doesn't have the cooler. And if you get the coolant pipe isn't running coolant around the block, then you'll just cap off the fitting on the driver's side. You can call Jeff Watson and he can describe everything to you and as well as sell it to you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
SJ said:
in a pressurized system this reentry into the head makes no difference
cutting out part of the coolant loop might not hurt but only if that section of the head/block has a coolant path through it from another area

has anybody mapped the cooling passages in the 2jz?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts