Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new Blitz oil cooler upgrade and was hoping it would eliminate the factory gizmo located under our oil filters which runs coolant through the filter area. Apparently you don;t remove the little oem gizmo when installing the Blitz oil cooler kit. Looked up the Greddy filter relo instructions too on MKIV.com and those instructions don't mention/show the gizmo being removed. I thought there was talk on here by some with Oil Cooler upgrades who did remove this thing?
Anyone remove it? Which kit did you replace it with? If I am not mistaken RSAsupra mentioned removal?

·
2jz powered
1,688 Posts
derekdevises.com had something that would remove the stock oil cooler that would accept a larger filter but you could also run a relo kit. last i heard he stop making them. its just pretty much a threaded pipe that went into the block that you could screw an oil filter on. i've been looking for something like this also since i want to install my oil cooler and filter relocater kit without running the oem cooler. it been discussed on here that maybe the oem cooler might be a restriction. i don't know if its true or not but i wouldn't mind removing it and just running my aftermarket unit.

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Blitz kit came with a threaded pipe section that fits but it doesnt look like it was actually designed to replace the oem cooler ring. hmmm Again, I think RSAsupra might be able to give some thoughts on this too. Seem to remember him being involved in similiar discussions.

·
2jz powered
1,688 Posts
you are correct, the blitz kit is suppose to be using in conjection with the stock oil cooler. im pretty sure if we can get the thread pitch, we can have it made fairly cheaply. i'd like to hear RSAsupra's input.

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
SoarerTT, do you or anyone else know the exact specs of that threaded pipe that Derek used to make. I have access to a full machine shop and I'm sure I could make it if I had the specs. Pictures would be nice as well.

Mike

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Im interested in the threaded pipe section too if someone decides to make some up.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have the 94 hollow bolt that threads into that hole on the block. Maybe I can figure out the thread pitch, or just send it to you - I don't need it.

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
OK well does anyone know the length that this piece needs to be? Also I am assuming that the hole through the middle of it is the same size as the stock one?

Mike

·
Original owner, March '94
224 Posts
3/4"-16 x 3" Filter Nipple

If you use a filter relo adapter you need to cut 1/2" off of the nipple.

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
So if you use a sandwich adapter you use the full 3" then? And by Filter Nipple you mean a threaded piece of pipe with a hole through the center?

·
224 Posts
Yes by nipple i mean a piece of pipe with threads top to bottom.

If you use a oil cooler adapter or a filter relo adapter it has to be 2 1/2 inches.

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
So when you are threading it into the block it just stops? There is nothing on the nipple that stops it?

Mike

·
224 Posts
Ok I took a few pictures, i'll try to explain as best I can.

Sorry it's kinda blurry, but you can see the oil galley in the back. You don't really want to screw the nipple all the way down as it would impede oil flow.

Here's a pic of the nipple attached to the block, originally the nipple was 3 inches long which is way too long, even with screwed all the way in, the oil relo adapter bottomed out.

Here is the relocator adapter attached

·
2jz powered
1,688 Posts
i did a quick search and couldn't find it...i didn't try very hard but i figure it would be easier to ask here. so wheres a good place to pick one of these up?

·
224 Posts
I had to buy one from Derek amd ciut it down, I tried looking too. Seems the kits that filter relocating kits come with 2 nipples that are one inch.

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
quick said:
Why remove the stock cooler?
Because it is a bottle neck and builds up unessary pressure on the front main seal, or so i've read. Also it stops the heat exchange between your coolant and oil. But the reason I am doing it is so I can install an aftermarket oil cooler using a sandwich adapter, all the parts and part numbers can be found in this thread.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270319

Mike

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
Ahh. That makes sense. Except for one thing...

MTR said:
Also it stops the heat exchange between your coolant and oil.
Doesn't it _create_ a heat exchange between the two?

1 - 20 of 113 Posts