Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody, I have a quick question.

My car has been leaking oil like a bitch lately, so I pulled the thing all apart and started looking. I learned that the line that runs off the filter that goes to the oil cooler was spewing all over the place. So, I just replaced it with a chunk of 3/8" fuel line for a temp fix. Now, the line I took off was a braided line (appeared to be some sort of nylon braiding).

1. Is this line under any pressure? or does it just go through the cooler and dump back into the pan.

2. My uncle (a journeymen mechanic) has informed me that oil eats fuel line (which is what my temp fix is). So, what kind of line should I get? I have been fairly unsuccessful at finding any. Please know, I am pretty cheap... the cheaper the better.

Anyway, thanks a lot.

· Registered
1,403 Posts
fule line + oil = broken hose. Just go to your local auto parts store and get some 3/8" oil hose and just cut it to the right length and clamp it on there. It isn't necessary to use some crazy braided stainless steel line like many people do on here. Those are primarily for bling more than the need for that type of hose in that application.

I just got a length of hose from my local NAPA auto parts and it lasted four years with no problems up until my crank pulley fell off and I had to rebuild the engine (that was not related to the oil hoses however). Also, just for the record, technically the hose is 10mm not 3/8" but good luck finding metric hose and 3/8" is only very slightly tight. Also, use a good quality hose clamp.

Finally, like IJ said I wouldn't get rid of the stock oil cooler, however there are many upgrades that you can do, the biggest of which is to change over from a pressure-based system that is stock to one that uses a thermostat to control oil flow into the oil cooler. There are a number of threads about this so search.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.