Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· DoRi?
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok brand spankin new toyota short block, and head. gte. i bought the oil cooler stuff like stu did in his mods list on his web site...... mocal sandwich adapter, earls -10 an fittings... earls 19 row oil cooler. the engine has not been ran yet, at all. im thinking i should wait to install the oil cooler until after break in just because i dont want the metal flakes from the rings and what not getting in to the cooler... now when should i install the oil cooler? now at 0 miles, after the first oil change? or after the second? or maybe someone can give me milage. i plan on using the moto man break in method.

· The Slow And The Curious
793 Posts
i would do it now. it will save you a huge headache and the particles will be pushed through into the filter anyway and you will be changing the filter two or three times in the first 1000 miles probably anyway. how do you think they do it from the factory?

· The Great Kruso
4,230 Posts
I cant think of any pro or con of waiting to installing the cooler unless you're iffy if the engine's going to make it past the break in period. Cleaning an oil cooler free of metal shavings is a PITA and there is still that doubt IMO.

Kruso

793 Posts
Again this is just me but if you checked all the clearances and they are in spec than you shouldn't have anything to worry about. during break in you you should only be seeing tiny metallic particals that will stay with the oil flow into the filter not big shavings( like you just spun a bearing)that will get trapped in the cooler. Imo save yourself the headache of having to install it with the engine in the car. Also I'm not posetive but I don't think that you can't put the filter on without the cooler anyway.

793 Posts
You are talking about the factory cooler correct. If you are talking about an aftermarket cooler that would be easy to flush if you had to.

· Registered
11,198 Posts
not sure why you are worried about metal shavings in your oil if you have stock internals and stock specs. that union bolt can be a pain in the ass to remove once the engine is in as well. get yourself one of those magnetic oil plugs if you are worried, that should catch alot of foreign particals, if any that may be in your oil. save the headache and put it on now.

· Registered
178 Posts
I would put it on now-especially if you use a break-in oil filter. If you are using a take off plate right from the block replacing the oem cooler (the only way I can think of doing it off hand) the oil goes through the filter BEFORE the cooler so unless the filter doesn't do its job, the metal should never get to your cooler in the first place. I did mine with a remote filter- then cooler- then back to the block. Even if it does, I would imagine the flakes would be MUCH smaller than the bars of the cooler so its very doubtful the matel would remain in the cooler. I say install the cooler now! Save yourself the trouble of having to take it apart again. You'll be fine...but I'm glad to see you thinking about your engine! So many people want big power numbers as soon as they get their fresh engine-so they have something to show for all of their money. Use the largest filter you can (such as the Tundra). A larger capacity is always preferred!

BTW- (this goes for everyone!) DON'T pay Greddy $1,400 for a cooler and relocator. I sourced the parts individually (except I didn't use a thermostatically controlled valve-mine is a summer only car) and you can get everything for under $300 (using -10 lines) +your chouce of cooler & mounting brackets. Just a bit of a markup huh? And the greddy doesn't even use real A/N fittings! Just nipples with poor quality screw clamps!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.