Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing my 16 row oil cooler and filter relo.
Whats the best proceedure for getting all that extra oil in and initially circulated correctly without overfilling? Pull the plugs and crank it? How many times, how long and any down time at all between cycles?
Whats the best way to properly fill the new system and pressurize it considering the full flow is temp activated?

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
You will need to warm up the oil in case you have a thermostat (what I recommend). This is due to the fact that it will only open when reached a certain oil temp like 90°C or so. From that point on oil will flow through the new cooler core.
This is different when not using any oil thermostat-then it will be flowed right from the beginning.
In that case I would recommend to fill oil up to maximum after the change, start the engine and let it idle for one minute or so. After that check oil level again and add what is missing to reach the max-mark.

Hope that helps.
Gerd

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah those greddy 16 row kits do come with built in thermostats

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
So then you can proceed the way I described above:)
It´s pretty simple that way and won´t hurt anything.

Gerd

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the greddy oil cooler cores have no drain valves? So do we tear them off to empty at each oil change or just never get it all out? Anyone putting valves on these cores?

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
man I am getting a million different oppins about throwing an extra 1.5 quart of oil into motor when thermo isnt opening right away. Pulling fuse/plug and crank/pause/crank/pause. Using a pressurizing device. All sorts of different ideas. Anyone care to open more discussion on the topic of filling these properly, pressurizing everything initially and then changing oil completely?

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
You will keep the small amount of oil in the cool erat an oil change. If you want to be really exactly you could disconnect the oil lines at the cool er core to drain the last drop out but the benefit is (in my opinion) questionable.
Just fill it up to the max mark of the oil dipstick, let it run and after that check the oil level and add what´s missing. It´s really that simple and there´s no need to complicate things more than that.

Gerd

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OH I know how much it holds. I filled everything and dumped/measured. AS you can tell though Im just anal about everything with my car and to me it seems like adding 1.5 quarts extra is a lot. Thermo function has me just a bit worried too. I've asked several gear heads just to get a second oppinion / confirm what I think is the best way and I got a surprising number of different oppins/ideas as to pressurizing and properly filling system after install. Hmmmm

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Yeah, I see you are very precise with your car.. But if you are that squeamish I presume you are changing the oil also every 4-5k liles. And within this period I think that the oil will not be worn out that much to worry about.
But if you are worried just unscrew the oil line of the cooler and drain it, too.
BTW: I don´t know of one oil cooler which has a drain plug in it.

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I seen one before that had a plug. I believe it was a blitz core but perhaps the drain valve was added. I will most likely do something custom with this one for easier drains. I agree its probably nothing to worry about ( I change the oil every 2500 and use mobile 1 ) but its just the whole idea of saying its changed when it really isnt. I mean we all wait till the stream is done out of pan right? Well then why leave a whole quart every time in that cooler?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts